5 Replies Latest reply on May 19, 2010 8:07 AM by Harm Millaard

My system too archaic to take advantage of CS5 MPE?

jpodlesnik1

I have a system that dates back to 2007 - a dual dual-core cpu Opteron 2.0 GHZ system with 8 GB RAM, now running Windows 7 64-bit, with an external 1 TB 72 rpm USB drive and internal 500 GB RAID (two 250 GB striped WD Velociraptor drives). Will be getting the Adobe CS5 Master Collection next week and plan on getting the MPE-supported Nvidia GTX 285 video card. By year's end, I hope to acquire a RED Scarlet camera (3K fixed lens model). Will this system and video card be able to handle this? Will the GTX 285 card cut it or do I need to go for the FX 3800? I plan to work with, say, no more than 4 layers of video and effects, color correction, etc?  Thoughts?

• 1. Re: My system too archaic to take advantage of CS5 MPE?
          Harm Millaard Level 7

The weakness in your system is the CPU and the memory and the disk setup.

Red material is very demanding and my guess is that your system will not be fast enough. You can get an indication of where your system stands in comparison to other systems by running the PPBM4 Benchmark and submitting the results to Bill, and possibly to me as well by PM.

If your system is somewhat comparable to Pijetro1 with dual Opteron 270, I would not be surprised to see a score around 200 - 220 seconds. That means around 6 times slower than the top performing CS4 machines.

Since you still have around six months before the Red arrives, I would start saving for a new PC. I would at this moment refrain from buying a GTX-285 or a FX3800. In a couple of months the GTX-480 is expected to be supported and with double the CUDA cores will give a much better punch than the end-of-line GTX-285 or FX3800. Remember that the new line of Quadros, based on the Fermi architecture is expected to be announced in June.

• 2. Re: My system too archaic to take advantage of CS5 MPE?
            Valter Vilar Level 2

I would skimp on the videocard (GTX 480 is a good bet) but buy the best processor(s) and memory I can afford (Dual 6 core xeons are all I am dreaming of recently). The prices on the xeons though, if you can find them...

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: My system too archaic to take advantage of CS5 MPE?
              jpodlesnik1 Level 1

Thank you, Harm. I see my Tyan Thunder K8WE fared pretty low on the list. :-O There were no hyperlinks for me to click in the benchmark test, but, thanks to the list I did get to see various systems. So I gather I need to upgrade to an Intel i7? Do dual processors matter anymore? Or will one processer cut it these days (can you tell I've been a bit out of the loop?).  :-)  I think I'll shoot for 12GB of RAM, too.  From what I gleaned, you're runnuing:

Asus P6T WS Pro mainboard
              Intel i7-920... 1 chip, 4 cores
              12GB RAM 
              System disk -SATA 150GB 10,000 SATA
              Project disk- 12 TB Raid 30 7,200 
              GTX 480 video card

• 4. Re: My system too archaic to take advantage of CS5 MPE?
                jpodlesnik1 Level 1

Oh dear, there's 6 core Xeons now?!  Will check them out. Thank, Valter, for your reply.  :-)

• 5. Re: My system too archaic to take advantage of CS5 MPE?
                  Harm Millaard Level 7

That is correct.

I would love to get my hands on a dual X5680 (dual hexacore with HT) to test against my own system with the same tuning to get comparative data.

The problem is that X5680 systems are not easy to overclock, if at all, and the i7-980X is easy to overclock.

1 person found this helpful