5 Replies Latest reply on May 20, 2010 8:57 AM by scott1956

Different style sheets for multiple accordians?

scott1956 Level 1

I'm a Dreamweaver CS4 newbie and have just added my first accordian to a webpage. I modified the accordian's stylesheet and it looks and works just the way I want it. My questions is this:

If I want to install an accordian with different styling on a different page on the same site, when I insert the accordian on the second page, will Dreamweaver automatically generate a new stylesheeet with a different name for the second accordian? Or will the new accordian automatically adopt (or overwrite) the styles from the first one?

I appreciate your advice.

Thanks,

Scott

• 1. Re: Different style sheets for multiple accordians?
          Randy Edmunds Adobe Employee

Scott,

I'm a Dreamweaver CS4 newbie and have just added my first accordian to a webpage. I modified the accordian's stylesheet and it looks and works just the way I want it. My questions is this:

If I want to install an accordian with different styling on a different page on the same site, when I insert the accordian on the second page, will Dreamweaver automatically generate a new stylesheeet with a different name for the second accordian? Or will the new accordian automatically adopt (or overwrite) the styles from the first one?

I think it's safest to never update the original accordian style sheet. That way you can always get back to the original. Instead, create a new style sheet that overrides the necessary rules of the original and attach it after the original wherever you want the different one.

HTH,

Randy

• 3. Re: Different style sheets for multiple accordians?
            scott1956 Level 1

Thanks for your reply, Randy. I'm sorry to be a little slow on this, but I want to be sure I understand what you're saying.

If I add this second accordian to a second page, by default will it adopt the same stylesheet that I created and modified for my first accordian?

If that's the case, then I just make a renamed copy of that stylesheet, modify it, then specify that new stylesheet name in the code of the new page?

Thanks for the clarification. I will get this stuff eventually. It's just my second week.

Scott

• 4. Re: Different style sheets for multiple accordians?
              Randy Edmunds Adobe Employee

Scott,

Thanks for your reply, Randy. I'm sorry to be a little slow on this, but I want to be sure I understand what you're saying.

If I add this second accordian to a second page, by default will it adopt the same stylesheet that I created and modified for my first accordian?

If that's the case, then I just make a renamed copy of that stylesheet, modify it, then specify that new stylesheet name in the code of the new page?

If I understand correctly, what you have done so faris to edit the SpryAssets/SpryAccordian.css file. Correct?

If so, *rename* the file to SpryAccordianFunky.css (or something appropriately descriptive). Dreamweaver will ask if you want to update the links, so respond "yes" so your existing page doesn't break.

Now, the next time you add a Spry Accordian to a page, a fresh copy of SpryAccordian.css will be added to the SpryAssets folder, and that Spry Accordian will get the default look. If you want the "other" look, then rename the reference to SpryAccordian.css to the use new file.

HTH,

Randy

• 5. Re: Different style sheets for multiple accordians?
                scott1956 Level 1

That makes perfect sense to me, Randy. Thanks very much for the clarification.

Scott