7 Replies Latest reply on May 19, 2010 10:18 AM by Steve Grisetti

Transcoding error at 74%?

puprsq15

I am running Adobe PE 7, doing a very important video project, and I keep getting transcoding error at 74%.  I don't know where this is in my project.  I do have a bit of HD video, could this be the culprit?

• 1. Re: Transcoding error at 74%?
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

First, can you give us some details, on your Project? The Project Preset will be important, as will your source footage, i.e. the video and still files used in it. Also, please tell us about your computer.

This ARTICLE will give you some tips on the types of info that will be so useful.

I would also look closely at the a point about 24% of the Duration of the Timeline. Look for what is in that approximate location. Look closely for any gaps in the Video portion of the Timeline, even one of 1 Frame. Gaps can cause Transcoding to fail.

PrE uses a VBR 2-pass Transcode, so that 50% of the process is the end of the first pass, and then it appears to fail during the second pass.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Transcoding error at 74%?
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Does "HD" mean hard drive, hi-def, HDV or AVCHD?

Also, which project settings are you using and how much free, defragmented space is on your hard drive?

• 3. Re: Transcoding error at 74%?
              puprsq15 Level 1

I am doing a video tribute to a brother who recently passed away.  I am using a Dell Precision (less than a year old) with 6 Ram, plenty of hard drive space. 

I  have combined Jpegs, some video (HD mpg 4 I think) from friends to use as backgrounds,  and other video off a Sony DVD camcorder.  I was wondering if the problem might be the HD video footage, which imported fine, but may be causing the final project to error out.  I have spent hours on putting this project together for his service, and now it won't burn!  I read somewhere I can transfer it to my hard drive and then burn it?  Thank you for any help!

• 4. Re: Transcoding error at 74%?
                puprsq15 Level 1

Hi def, and I am not sure what you mean by project settings. Sorry!

• 5. Re: Transcoding error at 74%?
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

When one chooses New Project, there are many settings that can be chosen. These settings should match the source AV footage 100%.

Can you give us the pixel x pixel dimensions of those still images?

It sounds like you are mixing SD (Standard Definition) and HD (High Definition) AV source files.

What is your intended delivery scheme, DVD-Video, which is SD?

If so, it would be better to setup your Project for SD, and then do another Project to match the HD material. When that has been edited, you can Export as DV-AVI Type II w/ 48KHz 16-bit PCM/WAV Audio, which would then be Imported into your SD Project. This will effectively down-rez that HD footage to SD.

Hope that this helps,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Transcoding error at 74%?
                    the_wine_snob Level 9
                    I read somewhere I can transfer it to my hard drive and then burn it?

If you were just having an issue with the physical Burning, this workflow would be fine. However, your issue is that the program cannot Transcode the Timeline, so a Burn to Folder would likely fail at the same point.

Is that point of failure where you have some of the HD (High Def) footage?

It is likely that if you do not mix SD and HD in the same Project (by doing a separate Project an then doing an Export/Share and then Import into your main Project), you will have not problems.

One can also use one of several conversion programs to convert the HD to SD, and then Import that into your main Project.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Transcoding error at 74%?
                      Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Combining different types of footage can be a real problem  -- especially if you don't have the project set up properly.

Part 1 of my Basic Training with Premiere Elements tutorials on Muvipix.com shows you how to set up your project's presets.

You will likely need to create one project for AVCHD or HDV or whatever your hi-def footage is and then create a separate project for the DVD footage.You should also optimize the size of your photos to no larger than 1000x750 pixels. (Oversized photos are the biggest reason DVD transcoding fails.)

Export from each of your projects as a DV-AVI (Share/Person Computer/AVI)  and combine these AVI in a final DV project. Once you do that, your DVD burn should go just fine.