Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Odd behavior generating webhelp... ehlpdhtm.js link is modified

May 19, 2010 May 19, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We've a large Help system with nearly 20 projects merged into a merged webhelp system. Using RoboHelp 8.0.2/ RSC 3.1 on a windows XP system.

One of the projects behaves strangely when the webhelp is generated causing a problem when viewed in Mozilla. The script clause goes from:

<script src="../../ehlpdhtm.js" type="text/javascript" language="JavaScript1.2"></script>

To:

<script src="..\..\ehlpdhtm.js" type="text/javascript" language="JavaScript1.2"></script>

This is the only relative link that is modified this way in any of the projects, but it is causing me a serious headache. I've experimented with a number of modifications to the layout, but the link continues to be converted. Any idea why? I've the feeling I'm overlooking something simple.

Some background:

Until recently, I had ehlpdhtm.js contained in all our projects as a baggage file, but based on information I read in this forum and on Peter Grainge's site, I have since removed it. I'm beginnning to regret that decison, since removing the baggage file has caused more instability than we experienced while it was part of the projects, and since we generate nightly with the command line tool, ehlpdhtm.js is not recreated they way it is with the GUI.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mark

I have no idea why that is happening. The only thought is does this only happen when you command line compile or does it also happen if you compile via the GUI. Not sure that knowing there is a difference helps but it seems like a start.

I wasn't aware that ehlpdhtm.js doesn't get recreated but I thought the info was to do with how to update it. Thus having done that via the GUI, it shouldn't be an issue. Can you point me back to the post and where you are looking on my site?

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, it seems to happen only from the command line, and only in a single project.

I removed ehlpdhtml.js after reading/responding in this thread:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/603888?tstart=0

and reported that ehlpdhtml.js isn't created from the command line here:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/613361?tstart=0

The snippet recommending what not to include in source control is snippet 116.

Its not beneath me to do some manual touch up before we release to clean up this issue, but I was hoping I could resolve this programattically.

.MW

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wish I could help you with personal experience here of RSC and the command line but as you can see, what is on my site is what others have reported. I would add that the information was from good sources.

Can I just try to clarify what is being asked overall?

You had a problem with crashing and you saw a post about the same issue. Having seen Helen's project, it is not a typical project so I don't think you should assume the cause is the same. Also, if I have followed the threads right, you did find a different cause, moving the project from the D partition to the C partition. Correct?

You say that removing ehlpdhtm.js from baggage files has caused more instability. Is that what you have now tracked down to being caused by the change from a forward slash to a back slash? I can see that would cause a problem and right now I cannot think of the cause.

First though I am trying to find my way through the source control and baggage file arguments. When you first create a project RH grabs the ehlpdhtm.js file from program files so it is in the project. When you generate help via either the GUI or the command line it should be there. Am I right in thinking that if you had checked it in but not out, that would have an effect on it being included in the output? (Sorry but source control is not my scene.) Maybe that is why you were adding it to baggage?

Maybe the only issue to focus on is those slashes being messed up?

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My basic query is how/why a single project has that particular relative link converted from slashes going one way to slashes going another. The rest was just kvetching.

"I wish I could help you with personal experience here of RSC and the command line but as you can see, what is on my site is what others have reported. I would add that the information was from good sources.

Can I just try to clarify what is being asked overall?

You had a problem with crashing and you saw a post about the same issue. Having seen Helen's project, it is not a typical project so I don't think you should assume the cause is the same. Also, if I have followed the threads right, you did find a different cause, moving the project from the D partition to the C partition. Correct?"

Yes, that resolved her issue. Removing ehlpdhtml.js from all the projects was a side "benefit".

"You say that removing ehlpdhtm.js from baggage files has caused more instability. Is that what you have now tracked down to being caused by the change from a forward slash to a back slash? I can see that would cause a problem and right now I cannot think of the cause."

I can't state categorically that the problem originated then, but these weren't problems we had while the ehlpdhtml.js file was a baggage file.

"First though I am trying to find my way through the source control and baggage file arguments. When you first create a project RH grabs the ehlpdhtm.js file from program files so it is in the project. When you generate help via either the GUI or the command line it should be there. Am I right in thinking that if you had checked it in but not out, that would have an effect on it being included in the output? (Sorry but source control is not my scene.) Maybe that is why you were adding it to baggage?"

I first added it as baggage because that was the only way I found I could guarantee it was included. We've since added a post-process step that copies it into every folder after we generate the WebHelp. I experimented with taking a project folder, deleting ehlpdhtml.js from the folder and opening/generating with the GUI and command line. When you open RH from the GUi, the ehlpdhtml.js is created if it doesn't exist. When you generate from the command line, the file isn't generated.

"Maybe the only issue to focus on is those slashes being messed up?"

Suits me!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 21, 2010 May 21, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK so we are down to the only issue now being those slashes.

Have you tried writing the script as

<script src="..\..\ehlpdhtm.js" type="text/javascript" language="JavaScript1.2"></script>

to see if it then converts correctly?

Just a wild idea.

Beyond that, how practical is it to suggest recreating the project if trashing the CPD hasn't worked.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 21, 2010 May 21, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was hoping there was a setting I'd missed. Recreating the project is an option of last resort. I'll keep poking away on this end to see if I can figure it out.

.MW

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 07, 2011 Jan 07, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm resurecting this topic because I have more to report, and because the changes are no longer  limited to a single project.

I've discovered that the issue seems to revolve around command line generation (CLG). When we use CLG, either from a script or manually, the expression

<script src="../ehlpdhtm.js" type="text/javascript" language="JavaScript1.2"></script>

is converted too

<script src="..\ehlpdhtm.js" type="text/javascript" language="JavaScript1.2"></script>

If I generate from the UI, this doesn't happen. I've experimented with toggling off Mark of the Web, and Internet vs. File System in the SSL, to no apparent effect. Any more ideas? Currently, I'm looking at adding a post process step to change this back.

This is important because ..\ehlpdhtm.js can't be read by Firefox, so our expanding text doesn't work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp