14 Replies Latest reply on May 21, 2010 9:05 PM by shunithD

Gradient as border...

shunithD Level 3

Trying to use a gradient as a border...

1/ Two rectangles of different sizes

2/ Create compound path

3/ Fill with gradient

I do not get a gradient that goes from edge to centre (which is what is needed here). Have found a work around by using a blend. Pix attached...

gradient_01.png

However, is there a way to solve the problem by using gradients?

• 1. Re: Gradient as border...
          Harron K. Appleman Level 4

There might be some gradient solutions in the newest versions of AI of which, I'm sorry to say, I am unaware. It might help your cause to mention your Illustrator version.

I'm curious as to why you consider the use of a blend a "workaround."

• 2. Re: Gradient as border...
            [scott] Level 6

There aren't any new gradient options in CS5 that would cover this. A blend is probably the best method.

• 3. Re: Gradient as border...
              Scott Falkner Level 5

Harron K. Appleman wrote:

I'm curious as to why you consider the use of a blend a "workaround."

Anyone who has used a decent, modern drawing program (ie, not Illustrator) would know that shape blends have been a standard feature of many such programs for years. FreeHand has had this feature since the 1980s. But FreeHand, last I heard, has been taken to a farm in the country where it has plenty of room to run and play and chase rabbits.

Many of the ways we do things in Illustrator would be called work arounds by users more familiar with other programs. We’ve been doing them so long they no longer seem like work arounds and are just how it’s done.

• 4. Re: Gradient as border...
                Harron K. Appleman Level 4

But FreeHand, last I heard, has been taken to a farm in the country where it has plenty of room to run and play and chase rabbits.

Hey, Scott. That's what I was planning to do in my retirement, so please don't make it sound like a bad thing.

You know, I totally get what you're saying. It's just that I think those who use the blend tool only to make eleven equidistantly spaced copies of a circle might be underestimating its utility and not fully cognizant of its intent.

• 5. Re: Gradient as border...
                  shunithD Level 3

Thanks for the replies guys...

Harron, it's CS4...

• 6. Re: Gradient as border...
                    Ignatius Fay Level 1

I've been thinking about this for a couple of days. The only solution I see, if you can call it that, is to cut your frame into four sections - top, bottom and sides. The seams would be in the angle of the corners. This done, you could use a linear gradient and achieve the look you have in your example. It is a ham-handed solution, but it allows you to use the gradient.

• 7. Re: Gradient as border...
                      Scott Falkner Level 5

But it’s much more work than using a blend and harder to change the colours or scale. Just because you can use a gradient doesn’t mean it’s the best option.

A Blend or a Gradient Mesh are the only viable options here. Oh, one more: Inner Glow.

• 8. Re: Gradient as border...
                        Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

I think this is the best you can do and it requires four fills set to multiply and gradients applied to each fill.

There are not as many gradient feature requests as it may appear to be. I know I made a couple and that Adobe did contact me about it and asked why I would need a more expanded feature and exactly what I needed.

Nothing happened as we all know and that was before CS 4 came about so I think if anything were to happen with gradients it would more likely be
                        CS 7 but since I only made a good feature request and do not work for Adobe and do not even get to test the software I am betting I will not know either until after the version goes retail.

I had a small feature request implemented and that was how it work the last time. They never tell you how they feel about your feedback they either do it or they do not.

I think all those you want an expanded gradient feature should visit the feature request page.

But in the meant time if you wan to try this I will be glad to describe the way I went about it.

Is this good enough?

Screen shot 2010-05-20 at 2.42.46 PM.png

• 9. Re: Gradient as border...
                          Scott Falkner Level 5

Here’s a simple Inner Glow effect. The black rectangle above is another shape.

Screen shot 2010-05-20 at 12.00.41 PM.png

Screen shot 2010-05-20 at 12.01.03 PM.png

• 10. Re: Gradient as border...
                            Ignatius Fay Level 1

Scott -

I agree completely. I was just trying to help shunithD achieve her stated goal. Personally, I'd use a blend as well.

• 11. Re: Gradient as border...
                              shunithD Level 3

Wade_Zimmerman wrote:

But in the meant time if you wan to try this I will be glad to describe the way I went about it.

Wade... if you could.... not quite what i'm looking for but always good to see a new way of doing things...

TIA,

Shunith

• 12. Re: Gradient as border...
                                shunithD Level 3

Thanks for all the input guys...

But at the end of it, guess the blend works best... also gives the option of use of two or more colours in the effect...

Wade, Scott... thanks again... Ignatius, i'm a he...

Cheers guys!

S

• 13. Re: Gradient as border...
                                  Ignatius Fay Level 1

Oops! Why would I assume a gender at all? My apologies.

• 14. Re: Gradient as border...
                                    shunithD Level 3

Ignatius Fay wrote:

Oops! Why would I assume a gender at all? My apologies.

No problem...