2 Replies Latest reply on May 19, 2010 11:12 PM by Simen Brekken

Flash CS5 unable to embed several weights of the same font

Simen Brekken

As the title suggests, attempting to embed two weights of the same font will cause CS5 to produce a differently named font for each weight.

I've created a sample FLA that clearly shows the problem: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2497635/font-embed-test.fla

When exporting CS5 will not set the bold flag on the fields defaultTextFormat, forcing this on (also show in the attached FLA) produces the correct result.

I've got big site-like project with hundreds of differently formatted TextFields; and this bug pretty much forces me to export my SWF assets in CS4 (where the behavious is correct)

• 1. Re: Flash CS5 unable to embed several weights of the same font
          The Buke

I had the exact same problem! I am using Arial Narrow as a font, so in my CS4 document I embedded the entire Arial Narrow font into my library. This covered, Arial Narrow Regular, Arial Narrow Bold, Arial Narrow Italic etc... etc...

Since moving to CS5, I published the same document out and it killed all my HTML text. All of my bold text was missing. Now, if you look now in the font list, every single sub-class of a font, is a brand new font. I tried embedding all instances of the font. aka, embedding Arial Narrow Bold, Arial Narrow Italic etc. However because I am using html tags inside an htmlText field, it is trying to change the text to a bold version of the arial Narrow text, and not the font style that I have embedded into the document.

All I want to do is:

This module will take 20 minutes to complete.

Does anyone know how we can render font styles on dynamic text in CS5?

• 2. Re: Flash CS5 unable to embed several weights of the same font
            Simen Brekken Level 1

You can accomplish this by using TextFormat or StyleSheet (better reusability), I've included an HTML example in the same FLA I linked to above.