9 Replies Latest reply on May 20, 2010 8:28 AM by the_wine_snob

playback in edit window of PE8 is bad quality and slow/choppy

lynnbunt Level 1

I just bought a new PC (yesterday!)  so I could use this software and make movies.

It's running windows 7, on HP pavilion p6310, 64 bit, quad-core processor,1 T hard drive, NVIDIA geforce 9100 graphics, 15-1 memory card reader.

My camera is a Canon ZR 850 mini DV.

Project setting: NTSC-DV-standard 48kHz

i ran msconfig and shut down what I could.

I updated quicktime and new drivers from NVIDIA

My clips are beautiful in Photoshop's organizer. They're great when i preview them in premiere. When i bring them into the edit window playback is terribly, choppy, and grainy and just plain bad. Will this change when my project is complete? or is this the quality of my finished project. What have I done wrong? What more can I do?

I've heard people talk of "rendering" on this forum. Not sure if that is something that I have to do, or if it is done automatically.

Please advise.

Thanks so much.

• 1. Re: playback in edit window of PE8 is bad quality and slow/choppy
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

I assume that you are doing a Capture from your Canon in PrE via FireWire. Is that correct?

Have you updated PrE 8 to 8.0.1? If not, please do that.

Having gone to MSCONFIG is a great step and one that most users miss. This ARTICLE might offer another tip, or two, but you have already done most of it. Good job! For Win7 optimization, be sure to look down thread and see the Black Viper site for some good tips.

Now, a single HDD is not the ideal, but should not be THAT big a deal. I strongly recommend a minimum of two physical (very, very important) HDD's, and three are even better. Still, you should not have the issues stated. You do not have any partitions, do you? What is the speed, and controller type of that 1TB HDD?

Now, Rt-click on your Program Monitor, and choose 100%, instead of Fit. You will likely have to click-drag on that monitor to resize it, but check the quality now. I do not believe that PrE 8 has the Quality settings for the Program Monitor, like PrPro has, but I could be wrong there. If it does, one will see Draft, Automatic and Highest. Try Highest, if on Automatic, or Automatic, if on Highest. Just do not think PrE has that.

There are a couple of other settings, and these will depend on your OS version, and also PrE 8. Things like GPU Acceleration can really affect the preview in the Program Monitor. Hardware Acceleration can too, but do not think that this is in Win7. OpenGL settings, most often in the vid-card's console can affect things.

There are also several OS optimization tips in the FAQ sub-forum (accessed from a box to the middle-right of the main forum page). I'd look over those too.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: playback in edit window of PE8 is bad quality and slow/choppy
            nealeh Level 5

To see the final quality nothing can beat:

• Sharing your project to a folder (use the drop down in Share/ Disk)
            • Using Nero, ImgBurn or other disk writing software creating a DVD (with a DVD+/-RW) at no more than 4x speed
            • Playing it on your standalone DVD player and TV.

Cheers,
            --
            Neale
            Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 3. Re: playback in edit window of PE8 is bad quality and slow/choppy
              lynnbunt Level 1

Hunt,

Yes, I capture with firewire.

I updated PrE8

read that article, it was very helpful,

I do have another hard drive I use to back up all my pics and videos,

I don't know what particians and controller type is,

I changed the monitor to 100% instead of fit. It doesn't look any different to me, just smaller. I don't have the quality settings, just as you thought

I'm not sure what GPU accelleration and Open GL settings are?

I'll look over the OS optimization tips too. Don;t know how i missed that.

Thanks so much for your help.

Neale,

Thanks for your advice. The one thing on my old PC I hated to give up was Nero. It was installedon my old PC by someone in my husbands office and i don't have the original disc to put it on my new PC

• 4. Re: playback in edit window of PE8 is bad quality and slow/choppy
                Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

When you place your clips on the timeline, is there a red line above them? There should not be.

If there is, you may have your project settings set up incorrectly.

• 5. Re: playback in edit window of PE8 is bad quality and slow/choppy
                  nealeh Level 5

The FREE ImgBurn software is used by many of us on these forums.

Cheers,
                  --
                  Neale
                  Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 7. Re: playback in edit window of PE8 is bad quality and slow/choppy
                    Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

The good news is that you have your project set up properly. The bad news is that it doesn't explain why you're getting such poor quality playback.

You say you're storing your video on a second hard drive? Is this an internal or external hard drive.

Quite commonly, when people add a second hard drive, they let the operating system set it up but don't bother to install it in their system's BIOS. That can result in very poor performance, as you're describing.

If yours is an external hard drive, it may also be sharing the USB connection with another device, be a very slow drive or be improperly configured. That, too, could be giving you poor performance.

Try capturing some test footage to your C drive and adding that to a Premiere Elements project. My guess is you won't see any performance or playback issues.

• 8. Re: playback in edit window of PE8 is bad quality and slow/choppy
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

First, "partitions" are "logical HDD's," and are created at a very low level on one "physical HDD." This is a holdover practice from back in the time when the OS's of the day could not see large HDD's. Basically, it creates multiple "HDD's," on one physical HDD. The OS sees these as smaller HDD's, but they are not really HDD's, but basically "folders" at a particular level. The problem is that the OS thinks they are separate physical HDD's, when they are not. One of the most basic laws of physics is that an object cannot be in two places at the same time. Because the OS thinks these are separate physical HDD's, it will request reads/writes from different partitions at one time. This cannot happen, as the heads can only be over one spot on the platters. The OS does not understand what is taking so long, and has to wait. This slows all thoughput down greatly, and causes more wear and tear on the physical HDD. Partitions are strongly NOT recommended, especially with a video-editing computer.

As for "controller type," this is how the HDD's are connected, and controlled, by the MoBo, i.e. SATA II, IDE, EIDE, SCSI, etc.. Right now, the SATA flavors are the fastest controller type, and are ideal (so long as they are at least 7200 RPM units) for video editing.

Playback of Video, or Audio, will be I/O (Input/Output) intensive, i.e. heavily dependent on the HDD's, their speed and the controller type. The only exception is AVCHD, which is more heavily dependent on the CPU, and then the I/O. The I/O is still very important, but the CPU is busier with that particular type of footage.

One of the first things to check, when either Video, or Audio playback is poor, is the I/O. A slow I/O will cause Audio to drop-out, and Video to lag, appear choppy, or even hang.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 9. Re: playback in edit window of PE8 is bad quality and slow/choppy
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Steve,

Up-thread, I had mentioned the Program Monitor settings, such as Magnification. In PrE 8, I do not know if the additional setting, Quality, has been added, like PrPro has. Can you verify that Magnification is still the only such setting in the Program Monitor?

Thanks,

Hunt