5 Replies Latest reply on May 20, 2010 4:39 PM by Igor Valentovitch

Import videos not playing, stuck at first frame

nannerd

I've been using my school's copy of premiere CS5 to work on video projects, and so far it's worked great.  Recently though, importing video from dvds has stopped working.  It used to work just fine, but now if I try the video gets stuck at the first frame of whatever clip I use.  The audio still works though.  I tried some dvds that I used before, and they dont' work either now.  I haven't changed anything, and I opened up a new project and for whatever reason it just wont work with dvd imports anymore.  If I skip to a random part in the file it will sometimes play for a few frames, but then freeze at that point again.  Any ideas?

• 1. Re: Import videos not playing, stuck at first frame
          nannerd Level 1

scratch that.  Certain parts of the dvds work, but others dont.  The parts that I've already used that work, still work, but there are certain other parts taken from the same dvds that do not work.   All were ripped at the same time using the same program in the same format, in original mpeg.  some chapters work just fine, others don't and I have no clue why.  They're identical except for the frame rate, the ones that work have a frame rate of 23.976fps, the ones that dont have a frame rate of 26.64fps.  I have no clue why the frame rate is different, or why they don't work

• 2. Re: Import videos not playing, stuck at first frame
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Well, there are VOB's and then there are VOB's. This ARTICLE will give you some background.

Hope that helps, and good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Import videos not playing, stuck at first frame
              nannerd Level 1

that helps, but I'm still not sure for a solution.  I already am working with mpeg files that I ripped from the VOB with a different program.  I realized early on that using VOB wouldn't work well and converted everything to mpeg before importing them to premiere.  I'm currently reripping the dvd to see if there's any definable variable that causes the different frame rates among the chapters or if its just a random fluke of the ripping and conversion process.

• 4. Re: Import videos not playing, stuck at first frame
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Some ripping software, like some conversion software, will do a better job, than some others will.

If you have both PAL and NTSC, then you might have to do some conversions there for Frame Rates.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Import videos not playing, stuck at first frame
                  Igor Valentovitch Level 1

Hi, I've had a similar problem in CS5 with simple MPEG fles recorded by regular point-and shoot camera.

The files would play fine on my laptop under CS3 but will freeze in CS5 and only the sound would play.

I solved the problem by upgrading the MPEG codec that is used by Windows.

My suggestions is - use the 'G-Spot' freeware program to determine what codec you need and if you have it installed on your comp.

Then go and download the latest version of the codec and install it.

Hope this helps.

Igor