7 Replies Latest reply on May 21, 2010 5:39 PM by KevinMacDonald

Exit code 7 and error 2038 while installing an AIR application

KevinMacDonald Level 1

Hello,

We are developing an AIR application and are building installers using Adobe's "side-car" installation code. I was able to do an installation successfully on both Mac and Windows using FlexBuilder 3, but since switching to FlashBuilder 4 I get an error while installing on MacOS. This repros on two Macs, both running Snow Leopard. I have included the contents of log files gathered during the installation below.

When we moved to FlashBuilder 4 we installed the new 4.1 sdk and configured FlashBuilder to use it. The application builds and runs fine on Windows, and it also installs fine on Windows using the side-car installation using exactly the same AIR file. The problem is only on Mac. I think I saw somewhere that exit code 7 has something to do with certificates. The AIR file is signed using a self-signed certificate.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

-------------- contents on .airinstall.log  ---------------------

UI SWF load is complete

stateRunningAppInstaller: appinstaller -runtime "/Users/kevinmacdonald/Desktop/blah/Basics 2.0 Installer.app/Contents/Frameworks" -withRuntime -url file:///Users/kevinmacdonald/Desktop/blah/Client.air

App installer failed; exit code 7

begin quitting

---------------- contents of .airappinstall.log  ----------------
      Starting app install of file:///Users/kevinmacdonald/Desktop/blah/Client.air
      UI SWF load is complete
      UI initialized
      Unpackaging to /private/var/folders/64/64lAG3z5GHu7OCrw3dV9GU+++TI/TemporaryItems/FlashTmp0
      unpackaging is complete
      application is bound to side-by-side version 1.0
      application is bound to this version of the runtime
      app id com.TeachTown.Basics
      pub id
      Application not located
      Waiting for user confirmation
      User confirmed action: install
      creating native installer in: /private/var/folders/64/64lAG3z5GHu7OCrw3dV9GU+++TI/TemporaryItems/FlashTmp1
      native installer creation complete
      stateInstallingWithElevation: enter install
      stateInstallingWithElevation: /Users/kevinmacdonald/Desktop/blah/Basics 2.0 Installer.app/Contents/Frameworks/Adobe AIR.framework/Versions/1.0/Adobe AIR Application Installer -runtime "/Users/kevinmacdonald/Desktop/blah/Basics 2.0 Installer.app/Contents/Frameworks" -silent -logToStdout -withRuntime -url -location /Applications/TeachTown -desktopShortcut -programMenu file:///Users/kevinmacdonald/Desktop/blah/Client.air
      subinstaller: Starting silent app install of file:///Users/kevinmacdonald/Desktop/blah/Client.air
      subinstaller: UI SWF load is complete
      subinstaller: UI initialized
      subinstaller: Unpackaging to /private/var/folders/zz/zzzivhrRnAmviuee+++++++++++/TemporaryItems/FlashTmp0
      subinstaller: unpackaging is complete
      subinstaller: application is bound to side-by-side version 1.0
      subinstaller: application is bound to this version of the runtime
      subinstaller: app id com.TeachTown.Basics
      subinstaller: pub id
      subinstaller: Application not located
      subinstaller: creating native installer in: /private/var/folders/zz/zzzivhrRnAmviuee+++++++++++/TemporaryItems/FlashTmp1
      subinstaller: native installer creation complete
      subinstaller: Starting install
      subinstaller: Destination for installed application is /Applications/TeachTown
      subinstaller: Beginning install
      subinstaller: Copying /Users/kevinmacdonald/Desktop/blah/Basics 2.0 Installer.app/Contents/Frameworks/Adobe AIR.framework to /Library/Frameworks/Adobe AIR.framework
      subinstaller: Copying /Users/kevinmacdonald/Desktop/blah/Basics 2.0 Installer.app to /Applications/Utilities/Adobe AIR Uninstaller.app
      subinstaller: Copying /Applications/Utilities/Adobe AIR Uninstaller.app/Contents/Frameworks/Adobe AIR.framework/Versions/Current/Adobe AIR Application Installer.app to /private/var/folders/zz/zzzivhrRnAmviuee+++++++++++/TemporaryItems/FlashTmp2/file1
      subinstaller: Deleting /Applications/Utilities/Adobe AIR Uninstaller.app/Contents/Frameworks/Adobe AIR.framework/Versions/Current/Adobe AIR Application Installer.app
      subinstaller: Copying /Users/kevinmacdonald/Desktop/blah/Basics 2.0 Installer.app to /Library/Frameworks/Adobe AIR.framework/Versions/1.0/Resources/Adobe AIR Updater.app
      subinstaller: Copying /Library/Frameworks/Adobe AIR.framework/Versions/1.0/Resources/Adobe AIR Updater.app/Contents/Frameworks to /private/var/folders/zz/zzzivhrRnAmviuee+++++++++++/TemporaryItems/FlashTmp2/file2
      subinstaller: Deleting /Library/Frameworks/Adobe AIR.framework/Versions/1.0/Resources/Adobe AIR Updater.app/Contents/Frameworks
      subinstaller: Copying /Users/kevinmacdonald/Desktop/blah/Basics 2.0 Installer.app/Contents/Frameworks/Adobe AIR.framework/Versions/1.0/Adobe AIR Application Installer.app to /Applications/Utilities/Adobe AIR Application Installer.app
      subinstaller: Registering /Applications/Utilities/Adobe AIR Application Installer.app/Contents/Info.plist
      subinstaller: Copying /Applications/Utilities/Adobe AIR Application Installer.app/Contents/Info.plist to /private/var/folders/zz/zzzivhrRnAmviuee+++++++++++/TemporaryItems/FlashTmp2/file3
      subinstaller: Error occurred; beginning rollback: [IOErrorEvent type="ioError" bubbles=false cancelable=false eventPhase=2 text="Error #2038" errorID=2038]
      subinstaller: Deleting /Applications/Utilities/Adobe AIR Application Installer.app/Contents/Info.plist
      subinstaller: Deleting /private/var/folders/zz/zzzivhrRnAmviuee+++++++++++/TemporaryItems/FlashTmp2/file3
      subinstaller: Error during rollback ignored: [IOErrorEvent type="ioError" bubbles=false cancelable=false eventPhase=2 text="Error #3003" errorID=3003]
      subinstaller: Deleting /Applications/Utilities/Adobe AIR Application Installer.app
      subinstaller: Copying /private/var/folders/zz/zzzivhrRnAmviuee+++++++++++/TemporaryItems/FlashTmp2/file2 to /Library/Frameworks/Adobe AIR.framework/Versions/1.0/Resources/Adobe AIR Updater.app/Contents/Frameworks
      subinstaller: Deleting /private/var/folders/zz/zzzivhrRnAmviuee+++++++++++/TemporaryItems/FlashTmp2/file2
      subinstaller: Deleting /Library/Frameworks/Adobe AIR.framework/Versions/1.0/Resources/Adobe AIR Updater.app
      subinstaller: Copying /private/var/folders/zz/zzzivhrRnAmviuee+++++++++++/TemporaryItems/FlashTmp2/file1 to /Applications/Utilities/Adobe AIR Uninstaller.app/Contents/Frameworks/Adobe AIR.framework/Versions/Current/Adobe AIR Application Installer.app
      subinstaller: Deleting /private/var/folders/zz/zzzivhrRnAmviuee+++++++++++/TemporaryItems/FlashTmp2/file1
      subinstaller: Deleting /Applications/Utilities/Adobe AIR Uninstaller.app
      subinstaller: Deleting /Library/Frameworks/Adobe AIR.framework
      subinstaller: Rollback due to error complete
      subinstaller: stateInstalling: [IOErrorEvent type="ioError" bubbles=false cancelable=false eventPhase=2 text="Error #2038" errorID=2038]
      Failed during elevated install: error 2038 Error #2038
      starting cleanup of temporary files
      application installer exiting

• 1. Re: Exit code 7 and error 2038 while installing an AIR application
          KevinMacDonald Level 1

Further investigation verifies that an AIR file built using FlexBuilder 3 installs just fine with *everything* else remaining the same, and after having installed the AIR runtime I am able to install the AIR file built using FlashBuilder 4 without errors. But, if I am installing using an AIR file creating with FlashBuilder 4 on which the AIR runtime does not exist then I get Exit code 7, error 2038 as per my earlier post. This clearly seems to be some difference in the AIR file between FlexBuilder and FlashBuilder. Any help is much appreciated.

Kevin

• 2. Re: Exit code 7 and error 2038 while installing an AIR application
            KevinMacDonald Level 1

I get so little love from this forum. It is frustrating. Do Adobe engineers scan these lists? I have a clearly reproducable problem that blocks me from building an installer for the Mac for my AIR application, and the logs provide no useful information.

Are there options for paid support? We are building therapy assistance solutions for autistic kids. We have to ship in August. We've thrown our eggs into the AIR basket and we need to be able to work through these basic problems.

Anybody out there?

Thanks

• 3. Re: Exit code 7 and error 2038 while installing an AIR application
              chris.campbell Adobe Employee

Hi Kevin,

I'm sorry we haven't gotten back to you sooner.  While I don't have an answer for you right now, I'll do my best to try and get you additional information as soon as possible.

Chris

• 4. Re: Exit code 7 and error 2038 while installing an AIR application
                douglas.rapp

Hi Kevin,

Can you post the air files you were using (the flex 3 and flex 4 ones) so that I can take a look? If not, can you check and tell me what namespace each application has? That would be helpful. Also, what version of the runtime are you using for the install?

To take a guess at what might be wrong, could there be something wrong with the permissions of the copy of Adobe Air Installer.app that you have? That’s always a danger when copying a .app around

• 5. Re: Exit code 7 and error 2038 while installing an AIR application
                  KevinMacDonald Level 1

Hi Douglas,

Thanks very much (and to Chris) for getting back to me.

I attached a zip file that is a small 'hello world' AIR application that I

compiled using FlashBuilder 4, configured to use the 4.1 sdk. I also

attached the self-signed certificate I used when exporting the release

build. The password for this is dogdish. This application gives the error

messages I indicated in my post when attempting to install on the Mac where

the AIR runtime is not yet installed.

We recently upgraded from FlexBuilder 3 to FlashBuilder 4, which I believe

is when this issue started. I followed the instructions for doing a side-car

installation and had no problems with either Mac or Windows when using

FlexBuilder 3.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

• 6. Re: Exit code 7 and error 2038 while installing an AIR application
                    douglas.rapp Level 2

I'm not seeing the attached file. Am I missing it, or did you forget it?

It looks like you're using AIR1.5.3. Have you tried using AIR2? There's an RC up http://forums.adobe.com/community/labs/air2#. Might be worth a shot in case this is already fixed there

Also, can you run the command

ls -l /Users/kevinmacdonald/Desktop/blah/Basics 2.0 Installer.app/Contents/Frameworks/Adobe AIR.framework/Versions/1.0/Adobe AIR Application Installer.app/Contents/Info.plist

and tell me what you get back? As you can kind of tell from the logs, the failure happens when we try copy that file somewhere midway through the install. I'm still trying to figure out how that's going wrong

• 7. Re: Exit code 7 and error 2038 while installing an AIR application
                      KevinMacDonald Level 1

Sorry, I tried attaching the files in a response via email and I guess the forum drops them and just adds the body of the email to the thread.
                      Chris suggested that I check permissions on the installer files. I ran chmod -R 777 on the folder containing our AIR file and the Adobe installer files, and it worked! The installer worked fine of both the AIR runtime and my application. So I think that solves our problem. My hope is that once we create a DMG and burn it to a Windows-Mac hybrid DVD that the permissions stick and there are no issues installing from DVD.
                      Thanks very much for your attention to this! This has been really helpful. If you still want to see my AIR files I need a way to get them to you. I don't see a way to attach a file to a thread in the forum.
                      Kevin