17 Replies Latest reply on May 20, 2010 5:09 PM by krisvog5

missing codec?

krisvog5

I am trying to add video files from a camera. Premiere Elements loaded some but then said that the codec was missing for the rest of them. The files are from the same camera so I do not understand why it will accept some but not others. Any suggestions? I am not sure what the codec of the files is or how to find out.

• 1. Re: missing codec?
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

This is odd, but maybe if you furnish some info, we can see the issue. This ARTICLE will give you tips on the info that we can use, and how to gather it.

Good luck, and let us know a bit more, please,

Hunt

• 2. Re: missing codec?
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

What type of camcorder is your video coming from and how are you getting it into your computer?

• 3. Re: missing codec?
              krisvog5 Level 1

The files I am using are from a still camera set into video mode. I used two different cameras one of them the files are coming through fine and playback fine for the most part. The other camera let me load some of the files but not all. The files that it did load only play the first 5 seconds and then go to a white screen but still playing sound. To get the files from the camera I inserted the memory card directly to my Dell Inspiron 1545. I open the card using folders and copy the files from the card to a different folder on my destop. To get the files into PrE 8 I use the get media area.

I used GSpot to figure out what the files were and for the files from both cameras it came up the same AVI and then mjpg. It says that the codecs are installed so I am not sure what the problem is.

• 4. Re: missing codec?
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Can you post a screen-cap of each file type from G-Spot? The file extensions, AVI and MPEG, tell us zero about the files themselves, as they are only wrappers. This ARTICLE will give you tips on looking inside those wrappers.

Also, since one camera gave you issues with Importing the files, please furnish details on exactly what the camera makes and models are. Someone might know one, or the other, very well and can provide useful instructions.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: missing codec?
                  jab0321

I am having the same problem but the strange thing is that I have been using PE7 to edit video from the same camera for about a year and all of the sudden it won't allow me to edit my video saying that I am missing codex. I don't know a lot about all of this, but I am editing videos from my GoPro HD Hero cam which records in MP4 but I change it to AVI using the MP4Cam2AVI program. This normally works fine and I haven't had any issues until just recently. I haven't changed any settings on my computer or done anything different that I know of. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

• 6. Re: missing codec?
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Just a guess, but I'd say that something has changed in those converted AVI files. It is likely that they are now converting to something like Xvid, or DivX, and PrE cannot handle those.

Run one of the older AVI files through G-Spot, and then one of the new ones (the problem file), and see what the differences are.

Please post a screen-cap of the G-Spot screen for each file.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - I just added some links to other articles in that linked article up-thread. One is the CODEC primer article, which will give you some useful background.

• 7. Re: missing codec?
                      jab0321 Level 1

Gspot old avi.jpg

This is the old one ^

Gspot new aiv.jpg

Here is the new one^

Thanks for the help with this

• 8. Re: missing codec?

This seems to indicate that your camcorder is recording in AVCHD video.

Are you using the AVCHD 1080i Stereoo project preset in Premiere Elements?

• 9. Re: missing codec?
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Thanks for the screen-caps. I do not see an issue between those two files.

The H.264 should be installed (G-Spot says that it is), with either Apple's QT Player (later versions), or if one has bought and installed, say the Lead, or the MainConcept H.264 CODEC.

I think that Steve's comment on the Project Preset might be something to look into.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 10. Re: missing codec?
                            jab0321 Level 1

I just tried changing the preset to AVCHD 1080i and I still got the same message that "this file type is not supported or the codec is not installed" Any other thoughts? It just seems strange that it was working fine and then all of the sudden I get this message.

• 11. Re: missing codec?

Maybe these aren't true AVCHD files after all.

Can you please tell us what model of camera or camcorder these files came from?

They may well be using a codec that's not available to Premiere Elements.

• 12. Re: missing codec?
                                nealeh Level 5

The second clip is HDV. Try the 'HDV 730p 30' preset.

Cheers,
                                --
                                Neale
                                Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 13. Re: missing codec?
                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Good catch Neale. I had missed that. One great reason for the screen-caps and younger, less tired eyes looking at them!

Hunt

• 14. Re: missing codec?
                                    jab0321 Level 1

Yes, this is the preset that I normally always use, the HDV 730p 30. I tried it again and same thing. I appreciate all of you trying to help me out with this issue. I have gotten pretty good with this program, but this is baffling me.

• 15. Re: missing codec?
                                      krisvog5 Level 1

gspot2.jpg

These are two screen shots from gspot the first is from the camera that worked fine and the second is from a Nikon coolpix L100 that is the camera that doesnt workgspot1.jpg

• 16. Re: missing codec?

MJPEG video should be converted to DV-AVIs before you bring it into Premiere Elements, per the FAQs to the right of this forum.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/415317?tstart=0

Per this article, the best program to do this with is Windows MovieMaker. Super should also work.

• 17. Re: missing codec?
                                          krisvog5 Level 1

thanks so much after converting them PrE seems to be reading them fine!