12 Replies Latest reply on May 20, 2010 9:01 AM by DavyRaven

Error 1305 - Error reading from file C:\Users\Davy Ravenhorst\AppData\Local\Adobe\...

DavyRaven

Hi! I tried to download Adobe Reader 9.3 from your website (www.adobe.com), it downloaded successfully, but when I tried to install it, I got this error:

Adobe Reader 9.3 Install Error.JPG

Do you know how I can install it so it will read this file? I am not computer-savvy so I don't want to mess with the Security properties of this file nor do anything else with this (or even just anything), unless you are sure you know how to do it so it doesn't mess up my computer. Please help me install this program!! Any help on this is always greatly appreciated!!!

Thank You.

• 1. Re: Error 1305 - Error reading from file C:\Users\Davy Ravenhorst\AppData\Local\Adobe\...
          Elemanzer

1. Are you an Admin?

2. What is your OS?

3. Is there another Adobe Reader on your machine?

Without knowing that here are things you can try

Right click on the setup.exe and click "Run as Admin"  See if that works.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Error 1305 - Error reading from file C:\Users\Davy Ravenhorst\AppData\Local\Adobe\...
            DavyRaven Level 1

I forgot to mention that I don't have Adobe Reader installed on my PC anywhere in Programs & Features (I have Windows Vista, by the way), but do have the folders for this program created from a previous install. So I don't know how else I could have Adobe Reader overwrite these files or anything else pertaining to the installation or the error itself.

• 3. Re: Error 1305 - Error reading from file C:\Users\Davy Ravenhorst\AppData\Local\Adobe\...
              DavyRaven Level 1

1. Are you an Admin?

Yes, I am an Admistrator of this computer and am the only one who uses it.

2. What is your OS?

Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit

3. Is there another Adobe Reader on your machine?

Adobe Reader 9.0 (but it's not actually "installed" under Programs & Features)

I will try running it in Admin mode to see if it works. I will edit my post if it works or not.

Edit   I get the same error, whether I right-click and click on the shortcut menu "Run as administrator", or even downloading a new instance of the same program.

Message was edited by: DavyRaven Look for the word "Edit" in bold type

• 4. Re: Error 1305 - Error reading from file C:\Users\Davy Ravenhorst\AppData\Local\Adobe\...
                Elemanzer Level 1

When you look under your program and features do you see it there.  We have it quite often where we see Adobe Reader 9.3.2, but the adobe logo is not there.  Some default window icon.  If that's the case you can do this.

open your registry and look in the following place

HKLM\Software\Classes\Installer\Products and do a search for Reader - see if a key pops up.  if it's reader 9.0 it should start with a {68Axxxxxxxxxxxxxxx}

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Error 1305 - Error reading from file C:\Users\Davy Ravenhorst\AppData\Local\Adobe\...
                  DavyRaven Level 1

When you look under your program and features do you see it there.  We have it quite often where we see Adobe Reader 9.3.2, but the adobe logo is not there.  Some default window icon.

The program is not here. I only have the Adobe Download Manager shown here.

open your registry and look in the following place

HKLM\Software\Classes\Installer\Products and do a search for Reader - see if a key pops up.  if it's reader 9.0 it should start with a {68Axxxxxxxxxxxxxxx}

How do I open my registry? Is it "regedit" (Registry Editor)? If it is, I will try that, then edit this post. Could you please hold onto replying until I check?

Edit   I opened Registry Editor and looked under this directory (there was no "HKLM" folder in this (they are all "HKEY" folders); instead I looked under the "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE" folder):

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Installer\Products

I did a search for "Reader" and it did not find any keys for this (the folder was not shown in the Products folder).

Message was edited by: DavyRaven

• 6. Re: Error 1305 - Error reading from file C:\Users\Davy Ravenhorst\AppData\Local\Adobe\...
                    Elemanzer Level 1

Are you able to go to that file location?

C:\Users\Davy Ravenhorst\AppData\Local\Adobe\...

Is the acroread.msi there?

• 7. Re: Error 1305 - Error reading from file C:\Users\Davy Ravenhorst\AppData\Local\Adobe\...
                      DavyRaven Level 1

Are you able to go to that file location?

C:\Users\Davy Ravenhorst\AppData\Local\Adobe\...

Is the acroread.msi there?

Yes I was able to go to the "Local" folder, but the Adobe folder is missing!! There's something definitely wrong with the installation program!!

• 8. Re: Error 1305 - Error reading from file C:\Users\Davy Ravenhorst\AppData\Local\Adobe\...
                        Elemanzer Level 1

Sounds like something is wrong with your profile.

Create a new admin profile and log into that and try to install adobe reader.  If that works fine, then something is wrong with your profile, if you get the same error message than something is wrong with the machine.

You can also go to "right click" my computer and go to manage.

Under there find "services" and see if the windows installer is disabled.

Do you have the latest java 6.20?  Not that it's needed, but you may want to see if you can installl something else.  It may not even be Adobe, it could be that you can't install anything.

• 9. Re: Error 1305 - Error reading from file C:\Users\Davy Ravenhorst\AppData\Local\Adobe\...
                          DavyRaven Level 1

Elemanzer wrote:

Sounds like something is wrong with your profile.

Create a new admin profile and log into that and try to install adobe reader.  If that works fine, then something is wrong with your profile, if you get the same error message than something is wrong with the machine.

You can also go to "right click" my computer and go to manage.

Under there find "services" and see if the windows installer is disabled.

Do you have the latest java 6.20?  Not that it's needed, but you may want to see if you can installl something else.  It may not even be Adobe, it could be that you can't install anything.

Creating a new admin profile may not have anything to do with the installation, but I will give it a try anyway.

Edit   I tried creating a new admin accout (it worked out succesfully), but when I tried to log into this account, the User Account service failed to log me into it, even with a new password. So this does not apply and I deleted the new account.

As for the Windows Installer in Services, I changed the startup option from Manual to Automatic, and also started it.

I will try running the installer to see if it installs succesfully.

Do you think I could remove the Adobe folder from Program Files, to see if this makes a difference? This is just a suggestion. Any other suggestions please let me know.

I was also thinking, if there are any other Adobe Reader setup files I can download? If so, please post the links in your reply.

Edit 2   I was also wondering (or even worrying) about this:

Does this mean I have to reinstall Windows Vista, simply because I cannot install Adobe Reader because of "missing files and/or folders" thing?!? I have been getting other installation errors from installing other programs (like for instance, I got an "Internal error ..." error because it could not find a specific Temp file when I tried to install Google Earth; or, I got some kind of an error because it could not find an "Installer" folder when I installed Dell Support Center)?!? I would HATE to do this, especially since I made (and wasted) a lot of time backing up my important files, installing Windows Vista, and THEN installing some programs. And NOW I get these errors trying to install?! Good grief!! PLEASE HELP!!

• 10. Re: Error 1305 - Error reading from file C:\Users\Davy Ravenhorst\AppData\Local\Adobe\...
                            pwillener Level 8

The first thing that I would do is uninstall the Adobe Download Manager.

Next download this installer http://ardownload.adobe.com/pub/adobe/reader/win/9.x/9.3/enu/AdbeRdr930_en_US.msi; save it to disk, then close all browser windows and run the downloaded installer.

• 11. Re: Error 1305 - Error reading from file C:\Users\Davy Ravenhorst\AppData\Local\Adobe\...
                              Elemanzer Level 1

You can look in your event logs and see what's going on.  The making a new admin account and not be able to log on would worry me.

• 12. Re: Error 1305 - Error reading from file C:\Users\Davy Ravenhorst\AppData\Local\Adobe\...
                                DavyRaven Level 1

Well, I think I will have to reinstall Windows Vista and make copies of my own files first, as well as making copies of some of my programs (the games). There's nothing else I can do around this. I hate doing this...

I kinda hate it when Windows can't find some files to install or uninstall my programs!! Ugh...

Well, thanks anyway for all your help, ʇɐb ɹəuəllıʍ and Elemanzer!! But alas, it didn't quite work as I had expected...