12 Replies Latest reply on May 26, 2010 4:32 PM by the_wine_snob

Premiere Elements 7 & WIN7, 64-Bit

Bob Ward Level 1

I am thinking about buying  PRE7 (to avoid the problems with PRE8) to run on my Windows 7 Pro, 64-bit OS.  Several folks on the Muvipix forum have reported success in running PRE 7 on WIN7 64 bit.  Before I make the leap, has anyone here had a problems with PRE 7 and WIN7 64 bit?

Bob

• 1. Re: Premiere Elements 7 & WIN7, 64-Bit
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Bob,

Cannot help directly, but IIRC, there have been several, who have done just that. Seems that Steve Grisetti, ATR, and Neale, who have had good success. Hope that each weighs in, so that you CAN be helped directly.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Premiere Elements 7 & WIN7, 64-Bit
            nealeh Level 5

I run W7-64bit Ultimate with virtually no problems at all. I don't even need to close other programs to use it.

The only problem I've had occurred just the other day - it kept crashing when I was trying to import some VOB files from my Panasonic DVD-Recorder. I used VobMerge and VirtualDub to convert to DV and they then loaded fine. I also had to install an AC3 codec (which rather surprised me).

Interestingly the Panasonic only exports to DVD but it seems to have two different types of export. Analyzing with Gspot, a conventional Digital TV recording creates the DVD using MPEG2, but the problem one (created from a 'red button' page) recorded as MPEG1. Weird.

Cheers,
            --
            Neale
            Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 3. Re: Premiere Elements 7 & WIN7, 64-Bit
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

You shouldn't have any problems. However, occasionally Windows 7 64-bit drivers can cause problems for this 32-bit program.

So your mileage may vary, depending on the unique configuration of your computer.

I very much recommended that you try--before-you-buy this program on that OS.

• 4. Re: Premiere Elements 7 & WIN7, 64-Bit
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Neale,

DVR's can really be problematic. It is usually the VOB_01, that is the issue, because of the menuing and navigation often added. While this normally works it is seldom 100% DVD-compliant, and that is where PrE, or PrPro as of CS4.2, will choke.

At least your Panny has two modes. My Panny VHS - DVD does not, but I only use the DVD's for archiving, and just feed the analog signal to my A-D bridge, and Capture for editing there.

Glad that you were able to get past that first VOB. I would have to do a manual rip from the discs, that mine produces, but have always just ignored that, and worked form the A-D feed instead.

Thanks for reporting on the 64-bit OS and PrE. I thought that you were doing that.

Hunt

• 5. Re: Premiere Elements 7 & WIN7, 64-Bit
                  Bob Ward Level 1

Steve,

I would like to try before I buy.  But I cannot find a trial download site for PRE 7.  Are there any out there that you are aware of?

Thanks for all the input.

Bob

• 6. Re: Premiere Elements 7 & WIN7, 64-Bit
                    Bob Ward Level 1

Guess I spoke too soon.  Softpedia.com indicates that they have a free trial download for PRE7.

Bob

• 7. Re: Premiere Elements 7 & WIN7, 64-Bit
                      Bob Ward Level 1

Well, the trial version of PRE 7 would not install on my 64 bit version of WIN7.  Every time I tried to run the setup.exe file, it would generate an Error message and stop.

Unfortunately, I could not find any instructions on how to properly do the install, so I may have been doing somthing wrong.

Guess I will wait on PRE9 and see if Adobe can provide a more stable product.

Bob

• 8. Re: Premiere Elements 7 & WIN7, 64-Bit
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Bob,

IIRC, I think that Neale is running PrE 7 fine on his Win7 64-bit system, and also think that Steve G. did too, but could be wrong there. Maybe they can offer some suggestions.

Do you recall the error message?

This ARTICLE is a very general checklist for installing Adobe programs. Might be something useful in it for you.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 9. Re: Premiere Elements 7 & WIN7, 64-Bit
                          Bob Ward Level 1

Bill,

When I double-click on the "setup.exe" file, it begins to load some files and then stops with the message: "Error reading setup initialization file".

Is there a different file that I should be using to initiate the Install process?

Bob

• 10. Re: Premiere Elements 7 & WIN7, 64-Bit
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Bob,

When you Extracted the files from the archived download, did you do so with the full folder structure? In days gone by, this was usually not the default, but I think that most extraction programs do include the full folder structure as default, but might be worth looking into.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 11. Re: Premiere Elements 7 & WIN7, 64-Bit
                              Bob Ward Level 1

Bill,

I may not have properly extracted the files.  It downloaded as a 7-zip file.  I just right-clicked on that zip file to see the contents, then I double-clicked on the setup.exe file.  I will have to see if I can unzip everything before trying another install.

Bob

• 12. Re: Premiere Elements 7 & WIN7, 64-Bit
                                the_wine_snob Level 9

With most archived files, 7z, ZIP, etc., one must first Extract the contents of that file. My Windows Explorer will Extract 7z files, but if your version will not, there are several utilities (most are free, IIRC), that will Extract 7z files. Some years back, Adobe went from ZIP to 7z, as Mac's had problems with ZIP files, but most PC's had no issues with the 7z's.

If you have the option, make sure that you DO Extract the full file structure.

Good luck,

Hunt