2 Replies Latest reply on May 20, 2010 11:10 AM by Drillthrall

Titling in AE, or Premiere or PS?

Drillthrall

A bit of a newbie question here; I should know this.  Anyway, where should I do my titles?  Should I do them in AE, Premiere, or PS?  I know how to use all 3 programs.  I have already done these tests by creating 1920x1080 24p projects in both Premiere and AE, using the same settings, same text, same fonts and sizes.  My eye seems to think that the AE titles look a bit crsiper than the Premiere titles do on my 50" Plasma.  If that's true and I do all my HD titles in AE, but then export them to my larger Premiere project, won't they then be rasterized by Premiere and subsequently look worse?  Does this sound correct?

Thanks,

Ragnar

• 1. Re: Titling in AE, or Premiere or PS?
          Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

How are you playing these titles on your plasma screen? What I mean is, how are you outputting the different versions that you are comparing?

What program you use for your titles would depend on what you want the titles to look like and what you want your titles to do.

If you want basic animation (fade up, fade down) of simple shapes and colours, then create them in Premiere.

If you want basic animation (fade up, fade down) of more complex shapes and colours, then create some (or all) of them in Photoshop and animate them in Premiere.

If you want it to be a bit more complex with text animation or anything beyond the very basics, then AE is your go-to application.

• 2. Re: Titling in AE, or Premiere or PS?
            Drillthrall Level 1

Szalam, thanks for the reply.  I do want my text to do a lot of things so I'll use AE; I was just wondering if AE text is better quality than Premiere or PS, as in, I think it is vector based so I wouldn't get jaggies.  As for output, I exported all tests as an uncompressed AVI.

Ragnar