2 Replies Latest reply on May 20, 2010 9:32 PM by payal_C

Does Graphic Card Improve Final Video Result?

payal_C

hi all,

i have a simple question: Often do we come across 1gb graphic card or 512mb graphic card....ati or nvidia....and so on. My simple question is

- what does a graphic card do?

- does a graphic card improve the quality of final exported video or does the video captured by graphic card have better quality?

- will there be difference in the final dvd exported from a computer with graphic card and one without graphic card?

kindly enlighten

regards,

Payal C

• 1. Re: Does Graphic Card Improve Final Video Result?
          platduck

Hi,

The easy answer to most of your questions is NO.

- what does a graphic card do?

A Graphics Card is the device inside your PC where you plug your Monitor in. Your computer monitor not a video monitor. Some Motherboards have an onboard graphics chip, and you can plug your monitor into the motherboard to get a picture, but otherwise its impossible to run a PC without a Graphics card.

- does a graphic card improve the quality of final exported video or  does the video captured by graphic card have better quality?

Firstly you cannot capture video with a Graphics Card.

It will not improve the quality (I might be wrong here, but I dont think so), but it can increase the speed at which your computer renders out the video.

- will  there be difference in the final dvd exported from a computer with  graphic card and one without graphic card?

Well, you cannot run a machine without a Graphics Card. And secondly no, your graphics card has no influence on the quality of the encoded video on the DVD disc. This comes down to your source material, format you edited in, export settings when you encoded the video to MPEG2.

Hope that enlightens a bit. Please ask more question if you are not clear.

• 2. Re: Does Graphic Card Improve Final Video Result?
            payal_C Level 1

thank you platduck very much for your enlightening information about video card.

it didn't enlighten a bit....it enlightened a mega-byte....thanks once again.