3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 27, 2007 5:53 PM by Ben M

Migrating to Apple from Vista

aprillougheed2
      I'm spending weeks reinstalling software on my Toshiba Vista Laptop.

I'm thinking about moving to Apple PowerBook Pro.

Does anyone know where Adobe says what software I'll need to purchase to migrate platforms? Would I have to purchase completely new Adobe CS3?

Has anyone gone through this process already - and has advice?

I've heard Mac's "Parallel" programs allows one to run Adobe windows programs on the Mac.

Does Adobe offer a forum or web page about switching?

Thanks for the help. April
        • 1. Re: Migrating to Apple from Vista
          Level 7
          > Does anyone know where Adobe says what software I'll need to purchase to
          > migrate platforms? Would I have to purchase completely new Adobe CS3?

If you want the native OSX apps, then you'd need to ask for a 'cross
          platform' upgrade, which they may only offer when you upgrade to a full new
          release of the product.

If you want to continue using the windows versions, you could install
          Parallels and Windows on your Mac and run them side-by-side.

Of course, one could argue you already purchased the software, so what's it
          matter which OS you run it on and find an installer somewhere. I'll let you
          decide on the moral implications of that option yourself. ;o)

-Darrel

• 2. Re: Migrating to Apple from Vista
            NateBaldwin Level 3
            >Does anyone know where Adobe says what software I'll need to purchase
            >to migrate platforms? Would I have to purchase completely new Adobe CS3?

Unless I'm wrong (always a possibility), you should be able to transfer your registration between platforms - it may take a few days for Adobe to get it taken care of, but it's doable. Call customer service?
            • 3. Re: Migrating to Apple from Vista
              Ben M Adobe Community Professional
              There is a cross-grade option, but usually it takes place during an upgrade as opposed to just changing platforms in the middle of a version. There may be the need to pay a small fee, and be aware that you will be required to sign a letter of destruction stating that you agree never to use, or register that Windows version again without a new license. You also forfeit the ability to update the Windows version down the road.

Once the process is complete Adobe will send you the information you need (a valid serial) and you can go from there. It can take 3-5 business days to complete the whole process.