6 Replies Latest reply on May 20, 2010 8:01 AM by the_wine_snob

How do you move Premiere Elements files (scratch disk) when upgrading OS

HollyLearnAbility

Hi,

I have just upgraded from Windows Vista 32bit to Windows 7 64bit.

I had to uninstall Premiere Elements 7 to deactivate, so I could reinstall, however now when  I open all my projects it says media offline, please locate. I thought all my scratch disk were set up to 'same as project' but can not seem to locate the files in the same folder.

I have hours worth of footage captured through Premiere, any ideas where I will find this captured footage, or the file type at least so I can search my computer? I have all my old folders etc saved in windows.old folder that is created when you upgrade OS, so it must be in there somplace???

Please help!!!

• 1. Re: How do you move Premiere Elements files (scratch disk) when upgrading OS
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

If you had your scratch disc and render files set up as Same as Project, they will be in sub-folders in the same folder as your project file.

When you created your project file(s), did you also create a new folder for each, as suggested in my books? If so, they should be easy to locate.

Adobe recommends against storing your project files in the main directory of your hard drive.

• 2. Re: How do you move Premiere Elements files (scratch disk) when upgrading OS
            HollyLearnAbility Level 1

I guess the lesson here is I never really understood scratch disks. I have never setup a location, so by default would they be in the folder with the project file?

I save my premiere projects to client folder that the video is for, then capture off the camera once I have created that project. Each folder has got sub folders which premiere has created:

Adobe Premiere Elements Auto-Save

Adobe Premiere Elements Preview Files

Encoded Files

Media Cache Files

Stop Motion Capture

But nothing in any of the folders seems to be the 'offline media' premiere is looking for when I open the project. I thought it was all the data in the 'Media Cache Files' folder, which is normally a few gig in size. Any ideas where I may find my captured media so I can edit my projects again? (i.e. default loactions) or the automatic folder name premiere gives so I can search my HD)

I will ensure I create a new folder for each in the future!

• 3. Re: How do you move Premiere Elements files (scratch disk) when upgrading OS
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Scratch discs files are temporary files the program creates as you work with the program. Those folders indicate that yours are saved as they should have been.

Your media files, however, are the files you imported into your project -- and they are wherever you put them.

If you captured the video using the capture interface in your project, those files are default in the same directory as your project file. Although you can also set the program to store them wherever you'd like.

The other linked files are the media files you imported into your project, and they remain wherever they were when you linked them. Music files, for instance, are usually in My Music. Photos may be in My Pictures, but could be wherever you saved them to.

If you linked to files on a camera or an external hard drive, the links to those files were lost when you disconnected the device from your computer.

In short, only you know where your linked files are.

• 4. Re: How do you move Premiere Elements files (scratch disk) when upgrading OS
                nealeh Level 5

It's the source footage you need to locate, not the scratch files. The file type will depend on the device that took the footage. An in-place windows upgrade should not have changed the location in which you had originally saved the footage.

Cheers,
                --
                Neale
                Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 5. Re: How do you move Premiere Elements files (scratch disk) when upgrading OS
                  HollyLearnAbility Level 1

Thankyou so much, this has now helped me locate my 'media files' .... which must have gone to the premiere default of 'My

Videos', luckily i have that old.windows folder, back to editing now...

Will learn to save / store projects and files in a more organised manor now

• 6. Re: How do you move Premiere Elements files (scratch disk) when upgrading OS
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

I use a pretty simple setup for my Projects, also grouped by client. The exact layout will depend on whether I will be doing all of the editing on one machine, or will be migrating from computer to computer, via a FW-800 external. After that decision is made, my scheme looks like this:

Root folder = Client Name

Sub-folder = Project Name

beneath these, I have:

Videos

Stills

Music

Audio

SFX

Capture Files

Finished AVI's

Finished AC3's

and all Scratch Disks

For ultimate performance, one could separate out the Scratch Disks, and maybe even all Video and then all Audio, to separate HDD's, but this method keeps things neatly together, so that the entire Project can be deleted, when done - just delete the Project folder, and all of the sub-folders will go with it.

If I will be migrating, this layout will be on the external, which has had its drive letter assigned in the OS of each computer, so that it appears the same in each. If no migration, then these will be placed on an internal, probably E:\ on any of the computers.

Good luck, and glad that you found your "missing" files,

Hunt