14 Replies Latest reply on Jun 2, 2010 10:27 AM by Harm Millaard

New system for animation/video editing

Valter Vilar Level 2

Hi everyone,

I find the tips in this forum to be very invaluable. As such I want to get some of your mighty tips to build my own system soon (June 2010). I have considered a laptop but since I will be (sometimes) working from home, there is no need for one. I am not a road warrior and do not even own a car.

So my choice would be a desktop. The cost of a dual Xeon workstation is prohibitive at best. Cost/benefit wise I don't see how to justify it, since the performance increase does not scale well with price.

If you've had only $2000.00 to purchase a new desktop system, what would you do? Bear in mind that I've got a high quality LCD 25 inch monitor, one power hungry EVGA NVIDIA 480 GTX, 2 RE4 western digital drives (I've got these already: a 1.5 TB drive, one 1 TB drive and 2 500 GB drives), 850 W Corsair Power Supply, Full Tower ATX Aluminum case and fans enough to keep a kite flying. BUT OTHERS MIGHT NOT HAVE ALL OF THESE.. My idea is to perhaps help others as well who might have a similar question and benefit from some of your expertise.

I am in Canada eh? but I have done my homework at newegg.com just because they have been so good to me in the past.

So here is my build:
      1. Most important item: CPU -> Do I buy a "lowly" i7 920 and overclock the living daylights out of it or go to town and buy the i7 980X @ $1050.00 and overclock it as well(of course)? I chose the extremely overclockable 920 i7 @ 200.00

2. Memory: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) $730.00

3. Hard drives: 2 non bootable 2TB each RE4 Western Digital 5 years warranty HDs in Raid 0 (motherboard, no extra cash for dedicated Raid card) 2x 300.00 : $600.00

4. Motherboard: Asus Rampage III $380.00 (there might be a better one in June)

Boom, there goes my budget: $1910.00

The change will be used for an excellent air cooler like the Vantec ones and/or an extra dvd writer (blu ray writer possibly for Encore work).

I really don't need the HDs, just put them there for people to have a basic idea of what I would do.

DO NOT SKIMP on the power supply! Buy a high quality one! PC Power and Cooling, Corsair and at least 800 W. Low quality Power Supplies can cause all kinds of issues, including but not limited to visual artifacts in your videocard, so you will think that your brand new videocard is defective, return to newegg, only to find that the replacement is also "defective" - specially with power hungry video cards like the 480 GTX.

What do ya'll think?

• 1. Re: New system for animation/video editing
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Get the i7-930 instead of the i7-920.

Why 16 GB when you can only install 12 GB? Use two sticks as spares?

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: New system for animation/video editing
            Valter Vilar Level 2

Thank you and bummer.. Is this an old chipset that only allows for 12GB? I've thought 16GB was the max it could go... I need to read the reviews for these motherboards.

• 3. Re: New system for animation/video editing
              Harm Millaard Level 7

X58 mobo's have 6 DIMM slots.

• 4. Re: New system for animation/video editing
                Valter Vilar Level 2

So,

this is what I've found on ASUS's site:

6 x DIMM, Max.  24  GB,  DDR3  2200(O.C.)/2133(O.C.)/2000(O.C.)/1800(O.C.)/1600/1333/1066 Non-ECC,Un-buffered Memory
                Triple channel  memory architecture

Triple channel, but I thought I could install 2 sticks and have it double channel or sinlge channel for now and then when I have enough money go for the triple channel.

TY for your quick replies... preeciate it! **North Carolina accent**

• 5. Re: New system for animation/video editing
                  John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I just built a new computer http://www.pacifier.com/~jtsmith/ADOBE.HTM and would not have considered buying anything other than a matched set of 3x2Gig memory sticks

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: New system for animation/video editing
                    Valter Vilar Level 2

Thank you for the link! I am just not convinced about the memory. I am going 4GB per stick for sure, even if I have to get a lower speed one for the price but so far not so sure about how much is good enough. Even Maya, that I thought was memory hungry is fine with 8 GB (at least for the kind of work I do).

I take so long reading reviews that by the time I decide to buy something, it is outdated already !

• 7. Re: New system for animation/video editing
                      Valter Vilar Level 2

Thank you for your suggestion John. I will go 3x2 for now, 12 GB total, much cheaper.

So, I have finally ordered (almost) all the nuts and bolts. I bit the bullet, and ordered the Intel 980X (God, did that make a hole in my wallet!). Just today the new unlocked Intel processors came out! They should be great for overclocking.

As soon as the items arrive I will post my scores.

I am also considering 2 SSDs in Raid 0 as my C drive (128 GB total is fine). If you guys have any suggestions please feel free. Sooooo many options for SSDs. I am reading reviews like crazy right now.

Thank you for all your replies.

• 8. Re: New system for animation/video editing
                        Harm Millaard Level 7
                        I will go 3x2 for now, 12 GB total, much cheaper.

I assume you flunked calculus in school.

Where I am from, 3 x 2 = 6 and not 12.

Maybe I misunderstood, but are you saying money is no object, or did you forget a 0 in your budget with your calculus gifts?

SSD's are a sure way to burn money without tangible performance gains for editing. Only 30 - 50 times more expensive per GB than conventional disks and no discrenible performance gains to show for it.

• 9. Re: New system for animation/video editing
                          Valter Vilar Level 2

Hahaha .. made me laugh!

That's why I ended up doing animation.

I've bought 2 OCZ kits of 3x2 which are compatible with Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R (I just love the name, so easy to remember). The ASUS was too expensive and the overclocking not that much better, plus the fact that it has one LAN only. I think these manufacturers are going really crazy with the PRO, EXTREME and such in their motherboards. There is a Gigabyte board being sold for $700.00 and it doesn't make coffee, what's up with that?

• 10. Re: New system for animation/video editing
                            Valter Vilar Level 2

I've been doing some reading and don't know anybody "real" that is using SSDs yet. From the reviews I've read, people are saying that things happen almost instantly (when clicking on things) and that it is much faster than a velociraptor which I have in high regard. I wil keep reading but I am familiar with raid arrays (Dedicated and motherboard arrays) and the like and I tend to agree with you.

• 11. Re: New system for animation/video editing
                              Valter Vilar Level 2

BTW, I mean the SSD(s) is just for WIN 7, Maya, CS5 and umm... a few games. I have 5 TB worth of HDs that I am not ready to part with, just yet.

• 12. Re: New system for animation/video editing
                                Harm Millaard Level 7

SSD's are a new and costly hype IMO. Sure, programs load faster, but is it worth is to load PR in 2 seconds instead of 6? You can't even get a sip of your coffee in that time. Does it matter that after POST of 45 - 60 seconds and sometimes even longer, your OS is 3 seconds faster in loading?

All those claimed high read and write speeds are great on paper, but does it make your editing faster and more efficient? I seriously doubt it. Maybe I could get a few seconds off left or right at a modest investment of only $ 45 - 50 K in SSD's, $ 10 K in controller cards and a 19" rack to store all those 64+ 250 GB SSD's to get me the same storage space I have now.

It all ranks under pennywise, pound foolish IMO.

• 13. Re: New system for animation/video editing
                                  Harm Millaard Level 7

SSD's are a new and costly hype IMO. Sure, programs load faster, but is it worth is to load PR in 2 seconds instead of 6? You can't even get a sip of your coffee in that time. Does it matter that after POST of 45 - 60 seconds and sometimes even longer, your OS is 3 seconds faster in loading?

All those claimed high read and write speeds are great on paper, but does it make your editing faster and more efficient? I seriously doubt it. Maybe I could get a few seconds off left or right at a modest investment of only $ 45 - 50 K in SSD's, $ 10 K in controller cards and a 19" rack to store all those 64+ 250 GB SSD's to get me the same storage space I have now.

It all ranks under pennywise, pound foolish IMO.

• 14. Re: New system for animation/video editing
                                    Harm Millaard Level 7

Sorry for the double post, Jive was playing up again.