5 Replies Latest reply on May 20, 2010 8:33 AM by the_wine_snob

Exporting to avi in PE8

stevenmori

Hi folks,

I have two avi video files that are both around the 1gig mark.  I have joined them with PE8.

When I then do the export to pc\file as avi the completed file ends up being around the 26gig mark.

Can anyone shed some light on where I'm going wrong, I'm a new to all this video editing lark.

How can I get this completed video down to a reasonable size, it will end up on youtube and google videos.

Any help is much appreciated.

• 1. Re: Exporting to avi in PE8
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

It depends on what kind of camcorder those AVIs came from and what codec they're using.

DV-AVIs, the ideal format for using with Premiere Elements, are about 1 gig in size for every five minutes of video.

This should also be the size of your output video too, assuming you are using the standard AVI output preset. The size of your output seems to indicate a video about 2 hours long. Is this right?

• 2. Re: Exporting to avi in PE8
            stevenmori Level 1

Hi thanks for the quick response.

To be truthful i have no idea what type of camcorder was used to make the film.

The films was passed to me so as I can join them.

And yes both films are around 1hour long, so 2 hours in total.

Should I be selecting PAL or windows avi.

i live in the uk

• 3. Re: Exporting to avi in PE8
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Unfortunately, the terms, AVI, MPEG, MOV, WMV, etc., do not tell us much, if anything, other than the files are supposed to be AV files. This ARTICLE will give you some background. Those terms are but wrappers, and you need to peek inside the wrappers.

It is likely that you have compressed material in your source AVI's, say DivX, or Xvid (though both of those are really tough to impossible to edit), and then are Exporting to DV-AVI, or even AVI Uncompressed, and the resultant file is MUCH larger.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Exporting to avi in PE8
                stevenmori Level 1

Hi,

Thanks for the information, i will give it another go tonight.

I reckon its exporting to uncompressed avi..

• 5. Re: Exporting to avi in PE8
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

As you will see in that article, AVI can be so very much. In the Share/Export settings, one can have quite a few choices. They can have even more, if they have installed other CODEC's, like the Lagarith Lossless, which will also wrap the file as an AVI.

File size depends on:

Duration

CODEC chosen and its compression

Frame Size

Bit-rate

Obviously, the Duration is what it is, but the other attributes can often be adjusted in the Share/Export settings dialog screens, and some to a pretty fine level.

AVI Uncompressed is going to yield a very large file. It is also pretty much unnecessary, as other CODEC's can apply a degree of compression to drop the file size, and depending on the CODEC chosen, will result in files that the viewer will never know are compressed.

Good luck,

Hunt