5 Replies Latest reply on May 24, 2010 9:09 AM by Muppet Mark-QAl63s

Edit a run only script

Kathlene Ruhan Level 3

Can I (And how in the world do I?) edit a script that someone has made as a run only file?

• 1. Re: Edit a run only script
          Peter Kahrel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If you mean by "run only file" a script with the extension ".jsxbin", then no, you can't edit it.

Peter

• 2. Re: Edit a run only script
            Kathlene Ruhan Level 3

II was hoping for for a "yeah, sure... just shift select..... blah blah...." I wonder at times why some people just can't play nice? Thanks for your help. :)

• 3. Re: Edit a run only script
              Muppet Mark-QAl63s Level 4

The term 'run only' is an AppleScript thing. Its an option when saving out the compiled script to protect the authors work. Saving as binary in JavaScript would be along a similar line. Kathlene you can also attach your AppleScripts to folders to create work flows too. I've not seen a JavaScript that is like a droplet I kind of doubt it has the required event to do this?

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Edit a run only script
                Kathlene Ruhan Level 3

Hey Mark - Thanks for the input. I get protecting a script from a client, a competitor, or a crook, but this is a team member... It's a gross thing to have to work along side someone like that.

I haven't heard about attaching scripts to folders. Can you give me a sense of direction where I can learn more?

• 5. Re: Edit a run only script
                  Muppet Mark-QAl63s Level 4

Folder Actions needs to be enabled in order for you to use them. I think by default this is not. If you open AppleScript Utility App you can click the 'Set UP Actions…' button. From here you can manage which folders have what Action Scripts Attached to them. You can also do this via 'ctrl' clicking a folder. Folders with Action Scripts will just sit there until an adding item or removing item event is triggered the script then processes these items. There are also a set of sample scripts that should get you started… You can also put the default scripts into your finder menubar while your there…