16 Replies Latest reply on Nov 7, 2010 10:42 AM by Ann Bens

Project Settings vs. Encoding and Encore Resolution for BR

BJBBJB1 Level 1

I am editing HDV footage from a Canon HV20.  When I setup my project in Pr Pro I used the recommended

default HDV project settings.  Hopefully these are correct.  I will be burning a Blu-Ray disc for the project.

I assume like other products I have used, the best answer here is the native resolution of your source which hopefully is what I am getting.

Now when I render it via media encoder, it asks me for the "frame size"/resolution for the Blu-Ray disc output.

Also when opening a new project in Encore, it asks for similar information.  I am in NTSC land.

I am familiar with the HD standard and resolutions, and the end result of this project is a Blu-Ray disc played on HDTV's.

However what is the best media encoder resolutoin and encore "frame size" settings for a Blu-Ray disc with an HDV source?

I saw several articles and videos from Adobe about these settings and they explain what they are, but not what the recommended selections are.

As a sidenote, once you are working on a project in PP can you change the settings/resolution of the project?

Thanks,
      BJBBJB1

PS...Did not know which forum to post this in as it straddles all 3 products!!

• 1. Re: Project Settings vs. Encoding and Encore Resolution for BR
          Harm Millaard Level 7
          PS...Did not know which forum to post this in as it straddles all 3 products!!

Which one are you using?

• 2. Re: Project Settings vs. Encoding and Encore Resolution for BR
            BJBBJB1 Level 1

Sorry for the confusion.  I am using Adobe Creative Suite 4 Production Premium.  My question is specific to Premiere Pro CS4, the media encoder, and Encore. I just meant I did not know whether to post in P Pro or Encore.

BJBBJB1

• 4. Re: Project Settings vs. Encoding and Encore Resolution for BR
              BJBBJB1 Level 1

Harm,

Thanks. I assume I would use the same settings and resolutions for Encore and my Premiere Pro project/sequence resolution should be at the HDV source settings (which escape me as I am not on my system but I believe it was 1440Xsomething).

BJBBJB1

• 5. Re: Project Settings vs. Encoding and Encore Resolution for BR
                Harm Millaard Level 7

Correct, the screen shot I posted was from a HDV timeline.

• 6. Re: Project Settings vs. Encoding and Encore Resolution for BR
                  BJBBJB1 Level 1

Harm,

I know it has been a while since this thread started!   I muddled through this project but wonder if I am doing it correctly.

I understand to use an encoding setting of 1080i.  However in Encore the choices are specific "dimension"  "x by x".  If my goal is HDV to Blu-Ray with best resolution and least transcoding for output to an HDTV via a Blu-Ray standalone player, and I have my encoding set for 1080i what dimension should I use for my Encore project??

Seems like the HD choices are 1440X1080 or 1920x1080.

My source is 100% HDV from a Canon HV20.

Thanks as always!

BJBBJB1

• 7. Re: Project Settings vs. Encoding and Encore Resolution for BR
                    Harm Millaard Level 7

Since your HDV timeline needs transcoding anyway, you may as well go for 1920 x 1080 H.264-BR with square pixels.

• 8. Re: Project Settings vs. Encoding and Encore Resolution for BR
                      Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

To keep things simple I would go for this setting:

hdv to hdv.png

• 9. Re: Project Settings vs. Encoding and Encore Resolution for BR
                        BJBBJB1 Level 1

First, thanks to both of you for your help!  Hmmm, I am sure the confusion is on my end....

Both of you recommend H.264 vs. MPEG 2 for encoding.  If I am rendering a 1 hour 20 minute Blu-ray, for burning Blu-Rays that I need to paly on a white variety of standalone players, what is the better choice and whay?  I was planning on burning to single layer Blu-Ray at best quality. I am also using 5.1 audio.

For the encoder, I was going to use "HDTV 1080i 29.97 High Quality" as my rendering preset with MPEG2.

However now I am wondering if I should be using H.264?  Harm, you mention it and you also mention "square pixels".  I am familiar with this concept due to my photography work and slide shows vs. video, but where is this "square pixel" setting in the media encoder??

Anna, I appreciate your comment regarding keeping it simple, however, although I am far from a PPro expert, I definitely am into Home Video and understand quality and resolutions, etc., so I want to get the best quality even if I have to do a little work.. So I'll get there.   I see that clicking on that menu item allows you to choose maximum render quality.  I have plenty of RAM but since I am not going SD to HD or SD to HD, perhaps it won't matter much.  However I am confused by the resolution you are showing there, 1440x1080?

As far as my initial question regarding how to setup my encore project, I may have answered it myself by playing around with the media encoder box.  I opened up the drop down advanced section and I see it presents the frame dimensions there.  I would assume I would use the exact same frame dimensions in Encore when setting up my project.

So I guess at this point my only decisions are:

1) What codec should I use when exporting from PPro?  h.264 or MPEG-2.  If it matters, I am using 5.1 audio also.  (thanks for all your help with that Harm months ago, it works great!).

2)  What resolution to use in media encoder?

3)  How do I set square pixels?

4) Once exported, in Encore, is my assumption correct that I will just use the same resolution as exported from P Pro.

Perhaps that is what Anna was recommending, keep the same resolution and then let Encore render to 1920X1080 however I would want to get all my rendering out of the way during the export process and just keep it all the same in Encore if that is a good workflow.

Thanks again for all the help!

BJBBJB1

• 10. Re: Project Settings vs. Encoding and Encore Resolution for BR
                          Harm Millaard Level 7

Your source is MPEG2 with 1440 x 1080. Your final destination is H.264-BR with 1920 x 1080 (which is with square pixels), because the compression of H.264 is more efficient than MPEG2, so you can either get better quality at the same bitrates or the same quality with longer timelines with H.264. Audio of course is a separate 5.1 AC3 file.

I would skip the intermediate step that Ann suggested and export directly to your final destination with MRQ. If you do that from PR, you will benefit from accelerated MPE for the scaling and effects/transitions you may use and you will have the smallest quality loss possible.

Keep in mind that Encore is still a 32 bit application, so that may make a further difference between PR and EN for the transcoding. By encoding in  PR you skip a  further transcoding step in EN.

In my case with PAL material I would use these export settings:

7-11-2010 11-09-56.png

• 11. Re: Project Settings vs. Encoding and Encore Resolution for BR
                            BJBBJB1 Level 1

Harm,

As always, thanks for your specific and helpful response.

I think I've got the best settings to use now.

Am I correct that the MRQ and Max Bit Depth settings in Sequence settings only affect my preview? So if I do not need the highest quality preview I can leave these unchecked, and just make sure to check MRQ in my encoder?

I do not see a Max Bit Depth in the encoder so perhaps that is for previews only.

Thanks,
                            BJBBJB1

• 12. Re: Project Settings vs. Encoding and Encore Resolution for BR
                              Harm Millaard Level 7

Maximum Bit Depth only makes sense when you ingest 4:2:2 material using a BM or AJA card over HD-SDI.

You captured 4:2:0 material from the HV-20, which is 8 BPC. If you where to use MBD, all you would achieve is padding the color space with two additional 0's, but not improve quality.

MRQ OTOH is very useful for the end result and can improve (not in all cases, but in some) MPE assisted encoding and visibly improves software MPE encoding. It is like "If you don't shoot at the goal, you will never score", so in general use that setting all the time when encoding.

• 13. Re: Project Settings vs. Encoding and Encore Resolution for BR
                                BJBBJB1 Level 1

Harm,

Thanks.  I will set MRQ both in my sequence settings and my encoder settings.  I am less concerned about my preview but it sounds like that is the recommended approach.

BJBBJB1

• 14. Re: Project Settings vs. Encoding and Encore Resolution for BR

1440x1080 is not a intermediate step it can be burned straight to BR-disk. It does not get re-encoded.

1440x1080 is hdv resolution.

1920x1080 is everything related to hd expect hdv.

• 15. Re: Project Settings vs. Encoding and Encore Resolution for BR
                                    Harm Millaard Level 7

Ann,

We are both right and wrong.

1440 x 1080 and 1920 x 1080 are both valid BRD formats. Neither needs transcoding in EN, if imported as such. However, external BR players need to transcode 1440 x 1080 material to 1920 x 1080 using their built-in scalers. You can skip that step and possibly improve quality, or at least reduce the number of steps from PR to final display by only encoding to 1920 x 1080 and profiting from the MPE support..

• 16. Re: Project Settings vs. Encoding and Encore Resolution for BR

I am going with the HW scalers.