30 Replies Latest reply on May 26, 2010 12:58 PM by Steve Grisetti

Slow or no playback

ObediahThomas

When I make a minor correction, like say adjusting a clip by three or four frames. and then go to see the results, i get a frozen playback screen,  stuck on the last image, sound plays just fine.  I I wait until rnedered it works.  But I don't have that kind of time.  I have tried disabling rendering under preferencesunclick background rendering, but no improvement.

Could it be I just have too much content in my project?  It's only 2 min 30 secs, but I am using for video tracks and lots of effects, and green screen.

any help here could save hours and hours of waiting.  and screaming.

Obediah

• 1. Re: Slow or no playback
          the_wine_snob Level 9

It would be great to have a lot more info on you computer, your Project and your Assets. This ARTICLE will give you some tips on the types of info that is useful.

Some intermediate steps would be:

1.) update the video driver

2.) update QuickTime Player

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Slow or no playback
            ObediahThomas Level 1

the details

my comp is intel 3 GHz

3 Gigs ram

Windows Vista

2- 300 gig hardrives

Brand New video card. bought because I had touble loaing the program at first, and it turned out to be a different issue, but I needed a better video card anyway.

ViXS pure TV U48 B0 (NTSC-ATSC combo)

The project is a 2 and half mintue music video.

Vidoe coming from Digital video tape,

some still shots

and a separate audio track mixed in a studio  MP3

I am editing only in the timeline mode,

First I laid down the audio track for the entire project and then to locking in the biggest video clip syncing with the audio clip.  Then added solos singing video parts.  All the video has teh auido deleted on it, except for one.

I have lots of green screen clips.

and putting video over video on green screen.

I've added effects like a metalic tint, or Lightning, or cropping, or lighting, up and down with opacity, mirror. lots of scaling up and down.

I hope that helps.

• 3. Re: Slow or no playback
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Premiere Elements works with a pretty narrow range of very standard video formats.

It's pretty unlikely it's going to work with video from that TV tuner card. You'll likely have to convert it to a more standardized format (ideally DV-AVI) before you bring it into the program.

• 4. Re: Slow or no playback
                ObediahThomas Level 1

I just copied that from my computers Device manager window, I have no idea what that is.  Sounded like it had something to do with video or graphics.

My graphics card is a 1 GB DDR2 Ge Force 9400 GT from EVGA.

The video i am using is mini DV tape. Is that NOT standard?

O

• 5. Re: Slow or no playback
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Material Captured from miniDV tape into PrE via FireWire is definitely the norm, and the best. If this is an NTSC (or PAL) DV Project Preset, then things should edit perfectly.

An nVidia GeForce is a good choice, provided that one has updated the video driver from the mfgr's. Web site.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Slow or no playback
                    ObediahThomas Level 1

So then back to the quesiton, any reason my playback is freezing and slow?

Could it be that i started this project in HD mode?

• 7. Re: Slow or no playback

It is important that your project preset match your source footage.

In this case, if you're using miniDV as your source footage and you're using the DV project setting (as evidenced by the fact that there is no red line above your clips when you add them to your timeline) and you're STILL getting choppy playback -- I'd say the odds are pretty high that something is seriously wrong with either your computer (i.e., spyware or other malware) or, if you're working off a second hard drive, that your second drive is improperly configured.

• 8. Re: Slow or no playback
                        ObediahThomas Level 1

Hmmmm interesting, I ws doing okay for a while, but ran out of space on my hardrive C: so I Switched everyting for video over to hardrive E: and the problem got worse and worse.  Would defrag help configuration?

• 9. Re: Slow or no playback

Is your E drive an internal or external drive?

Have you reformatted it to NTFS?

If the drive is an internal drive, have you configured it in your system's BIOS in addition to your operating system?

Have you ensured that you have at least 30 gigs of free space on your C drive and that it is freshly defragmented and cleaned?

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/390602?tstart=30

• 10. Re: Slow or no playback
                            ObediahThomas Level 1

Drive E is internal,

I just learned about NTFS when you wrote those words here.  I found the intructions to do it.. but question.  Will it erase everything I have there?  I will backup as much as I can, but would like to know.  Also I don't know if it already is formatted that way.  Is it one those things that could alreaady be tehre if so how do I check?  or is it one of those if I never heard of it I don't have it?

I did and do have the recomended 30 gigs of free spac on C: but I have not fragmented for a while.  I have done defrag several times in my computer life, always told it would speed things up and improve things and it never has.  Just took hours and hours to do with no improvement.  But I will do it again, why not?

I really appreciate all the insight I am getting from you and bill on this, great forum you have here.

O

• 11. Re: Slow or no playback
                              John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Go here http://search.microsoft.com/search.aspx?mkt=en-US&setlang=en-US and enter convert fat ntfs for a Microsoft article

I have done this to several drives... nothing was ever lost

You find out about drives by using WinExplorer and RIGHT clicking on the drive letter and selecting properties

• 12. Re: Slow or no playback

Have you, as I recommended earlier, ensured that your drive is set up in your computer's BIOS?

To do this, press F1 or ESC or whatever your computer requires when you first start up your computer -- at the logo screen, before Windows starts to boot. In the set-up screen that opens, locate and install your second hard drive.

If you drive is not set up in your system's BIOS, as I said, it will perform very poorly, as you describe.

• 13. Re: Slow or no playback
                                  ObediahThomas Level 1

I haven't checked that yet.

I am waiting for the defrag to finish.  I started it at noon today, it is 10 hours and still running...either I really really really needed to defrag or the defrag isn't working.  seems in Vista it doesn't give you an estimate.

anyway tomorrow morning I will do that and the NTFS formatting.  I think we are onto something.

• 14. Re: Slow or no playback
                                    nealeh Level 5

I use the AusLogics freeware defragmenter. It works fast and well. I use it as an on-demand defragmenter but I believe it can be set to automatic.

Cheers,
                                    --
                                    Neale
                                    Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 15. Re: Slow or no playback
                                      ObediahThomas Level 1

A) it seems I cannot reply in the forum anymore.  I don't know why.

B) I tried the NTFS conversion but got an error, "Access denied, as you do not have suffienct prividges. You wil have to envoke this utility running in an elevated mode."

C) I did defrag. with the link nealeh gave me, it took less than half an hour.  something is up with my systems defrag.  no real change in speed though.

D) Could it also be that I made a mistake when gathering my resources, I transfered an entire hour of tape, twice,  rather then just the parts i needed?  mMaybe the in/out sections are too hard to access in a large file?

• 16. Re: Slow or no playback
                                        John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Your #B would indicate you are not running as Administrator... and as far as I know, you must run as Admin for success with PreEl

• 17. Re: Slow or no playback
                                          ObediahThomas Level 1

Hmmm.

I have two user ID's and I tried that with both and got the same error message. I just checked to see who is the admin user and it was the one I've been using all along.

• 18. Re: Slow or no playback
                                            nealeh Level 5

I believe the convert command requires you to be 'Administrator'. This is NOT the same as running from a user with administrative privileges.

You need to run the initial cmd command as Administrator. In Vista click the Orb and type 'cmd'. You should now see the cmd command at the top of the start menu. Right-Click this and select 'Run as Administrator. Then enter the conversion command and the conversion process should work correctly.

ntfs.png

Cheers,
                                            --
                                            Neale
                                            Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 19. Re: Slow or no playback
                                              ObediahThomas Level 1

Let's all laugh about this.  After all that, I run as administrator, and do the comand, and it tells me my E: drive is already NTSF.

I defragged and no improvment.

• 20. Re: Slow or no playback

I guess there's no point in my again recommending that you set up your drive in your computer's BIOS again. You seem to be willing to try just about anything but it!

• 21. Re: Slow or no playback
                                                  ObediahThomas Level 1

You're right I haven't tried that yet.   This morning I went back to the C: drive and reloaded all my content clips, started the project from scratch.  Everything was going good for a few hours and then the slow playback and freezing just started again.  I will try the  BIOS thing now.  But as I reread your earlier post that was all about the second drive.  I have the same problem in my first drive.

• 22. Re: Slow or no playback
                                                    ObediahThomas Level 1

I've been searchng but can't find a way to check on the BIOS status of my second drive.  I can't see why it would be set up differently than my C: drive.  but I admit I don't know much about such things.  I even found a way to update the BIOS on my computer (from 5.25 to 5.36 ... whatever that means.)  But the project now has been redone, only on my C: which is setup with BIOS.  I still have the problem.

• 23. Re: Slow or no playback
                                                      ObediahThomas Level 1

Like I suspected, I could gt to my E: drive to store docs there and retreive them, so I figured it was properly configured.  And now I checked and it is officially BIOS setup.  but either drive I use is slowing down.  I do appreciate the intput, Any other options?

• 24. Re: Slow or no playback

Not unless those computer specs imply that you're running Vista on a Pentium IV at 3 ghz. I think we all assumed you wouldn't be doing something like that, and that maybe you meant that you were running a dual-core at 3 ghz per core.

You'd have to run a pretty stripped-down version of Vista to get any kind of performance on a Pentium.

• 25. Re: Slow or no playback
                                                          ObediahThomas Level 1

My Computer properties says,

Intel(R) Core(TM) 2 Duo CPU E8400 @ 3.00 GHz 3.00 GHz

Which I assume means that is a dual processor 3 GHz X2.

• 26. Re: Slow or no playback

There is clearly something going on with your computer that we can not diagnose on this forum. There is no reason a computer with those specs should not fly while editing video from a miniDV camcorder. So I'm not sure what any of us can do for you at this point.

I'm assuming at this point that you've worked through the relevant points in the FAQs.

You've assured that your Vista Performance Index is acceptably high and/or you've used our "power tweaks".

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/415316?tstart=0

You've also cleaned off your spyware, checked for viruses, cleared your temp files and tweaked your registry.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/390602?tstart=30

If you want to try something extreme, you can repair your operating. To do that, insert your computer's system disc and proceed as if you are re-installing Vista. A few steps in, you'll see the option to repair. You can usually do this without damaging your data, but you may want to back up your important files anyway. It will take an afternoon to do this, since you have to reinstall all of the Windows Updates also. But I did this to my daughter's laptop last year and it made a significant difference in her performance.

But beyond that, I'm not sure what more we can do on this forum. Your specs are up to par, so it's not an issue with the Adobe software. It's something going on with your computer or your operating system, and that's something you're just going to have to figure out. We've offered all of our best guesses.

I hope you find a solution.

• 27. Re: Slow or no playback
                                                              ObediahThomas Level 1

Solved!  and the answer is....

Unplug the firewire from the camera while editing.

• 28. Re: Slow or no playback
                                                                the_wine_snob Level 9
                                                                Solved!

Love to hear that word!

Thanks for reporting your solution.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 29. Re: Slow or no playback
                                                                  ObediahThomas Level 1

The embarassing part is I already discovered that solution once, and forgot my lesson.  The playback just got worse and worse, so I thought there must be a "bigger" solution.

• 30. Re: Slow or no playback

Glad to hear you found that solution. It's another one of those things we all know so well that we sometimes forget to mention!

Happy moviemaking!