19 Replies Latest reply on Nov 24, 2010 9:52 AM by Harm Millaard

SD capture fails in CS5

joestephens Level 1

Hi, I see questions about HD capture, but SD doesn't work for me.

CS5 files the file on the tape, and the runs, but there are no captured frames shown, and it blows past the end point of the

clip.

Any ideas? - worked fine with same hardware set-up in CS4?

Thanks

• 1. Re: SD capture fails in CS5
          Harm Millaard Level 7

CUDA card?

• 2. Re: SD capture fails in CS5
            Phil Griffith Level 2

sorry, I don't even know what

your saying.  files the file on tape?

and the runs???

I hate it when you get the runs!

• 3. Re: SD capture fails in CS5
              joestephens Level 1

ASUS EAH5750 - maybe not - it looks like all CUDA are Nvidia

• 4. Re: SD capture fails in CS5
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Phil,

Decades ago, I spent a month in San Blas, and that was the result there too!

Since I was only a tourista, not sure how that would figure into NLE work, but maybe there is a tie-in, that I missed at the time.

Hunt

• 5. Re: SD capture fails in CS5
                  joestephens Level 1

OK - I reread my original post, and it didn't exactly make sense.

First - DV Tape, SD.

When you do Batch Capture, CS5 will find the in point, and begin running the tape, but not show any frames recorded.

But it will not stop at the out point.  It will keep running until the end of the tape.

• 6. Re: SD capture fails in CS5
                    Level 4

Hi,

Sounds like it's trying to find all the clips on the tape to make a list of them so it can then batch capture what it finds.....after making the list of what it sees on the tape ...  ???

I use ScLive for capturing SD ...which works great if you care to check it out...  I think it costs about $35 and you can get it online right away....DL from the site and start using right away...

Rod

• 7. Re: SD capture fails in CS5
                      joestephens Level 1

Here's the actual error I'm getting:

Batch Capture started: 5/20/2010 6:08:22 PM
                      -------------------------------------------
                      \20100517_carson.prproj\20100517_A_1\20100517_A_1_06.avi - Capture Failed: Video data error

Batch Capture ended: 5/20/2010 6:10:39 PM

• 8. Re: SD capture fails in CS5
                        Stan Jones Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What are you batch capturing?  Offline clips in a project?  New clips from an imported batch list?

This is not at the beginning or end of the tape is it?

• 9. Re: SD capture fails in CS5
                          joestephens Level 1

Hi, it's offline clips in a project - I set the in/out points and logged them in the project and the

selected the list of clips, and selected "batch capture" - my usual technique from the last

several versions of PPro.

I've tried Scenalyzer, and it's a great app, but I need the batch list integrated in CS5 for later work.

Never seen this behaviour before - I have full device control, but PPro CS5 is just not capturing.

;-(

• 10. Re: SD capture fails in CS5
                            Stan Jones Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What happens if you select only one clip?  (Pick one at least a minute from the beginning of the tape.)

FYI, a workaround is to export the list and capture in Scenalyzer with the batch list.  But I agree this should work in Prem.

• 11. Re: SD capture fails in CS5
                              joestephens Level 1

If I just select one clip it fails the same way.

I have done the following:

I tried CS4 (which will not complain about a CS5 Project and which previously worked flawlessly) - same problem - full device control, but no frames captures.

I switched "cameras" from the GV-D1000 to a Sony TRS950 - same problem.

Shut down camera and computer - rebooted - same problem.

I think the install of CS5 caused this problem.

I guess I'l have to work with Tech support

;-(

• 12. Re: SD capture fails in CS5
                                joestephens Level 1

Update:  I installed Scenalyzer and got it to capture.  Then, I was magically able to Capture

in CS5.  Now capture in CS5 doesn't work - either does Scenealyzer.

;-(

• 13. Re: SD capture fails in CS5
                                  ecartledge

I'm having the same problem Joe but am attempting to batch capture HDV Mpegs to overwrite SD .avis  that are now offline.

Capturing from a Sony Z1 into CS5.

I can capture HDV by cueing up and hitting record but this is no use to me - I need to batch capture.

I've also tried setting it to batch capture a clip, then stopping it when the capture window is open, clicking to 'capture in/out' because the relevant timecodes have loaded up - but this fails as well.

Very weird.

Any progress made?

Ed

• 15. Re: SD capture fails in CS5
                                    ecartledge Level 1

Thank you.

I appear to have fixed this in the last 5 minutes by clearing  capture
                                    settings on all clips and setting to capture with 50 frames of  handles and 6
                                    secs pre-roll. Not sure which of those 3 is the solution as I  tried them all
                                    simultaneously and it's now working!

Thanks  again!
                                    Ed

• 16. Re: SD capture fails in CS5
                                      joestephens Level 1

In my inquiry a year ago, Harm asked if I was using a CUDA card -

I have recently installed a CUDA card along with a new mother board.  Since, my Firewire functions were working VERY poorly.

Based on your question, I went into project, general, then CUDA and disabled Hardware (went to Software) and my tape export worked perfectly.

I've read a lot about CUDA but is there something that specifically address CUDA problems like firewire and maybe USB?

Thanks

• 17. Re: SD capture fails in CS5
                                        Harm Millaard Level 7

It is a well known missing capability, that when hardware acceleration is enabled, DV over firewire is disabled. It has been reported several times as a 'bug', although one could argue it is not a bug, but a missing feature, that is sorely missed. If completely defeats one of the major selling points, CUDA/MPE, since it requires rerendering of the timeline when one wants to export or do color correction on an external monitor.

It seems that technically it is pretty hard to make it work, but IMO it should be one of the top priorities.

1 person found this helpful
                                        • 18. Re: SD capture fails in CS5
                                          joestephens Level 1

OK - thanks so much I would NEVER have figured this out.  Now, to extend my question a bit further, I have a DVD publishing machines (Bravo Pro) on regular USB2 - and since I upgraded to CUDA - I have had intermittent trouble publishing a known good ISO file to a DVD - This machine has been rock sold.

Is there a way outside of Premiere Pro to disable Cuda with some kind of setting on the Cuda Card?

• 19. Re: SD capture fails in CS5
                                            Harm Millaard Level 7

Weird things happen in a computer, but on first glance I can't imagine how CUDA sttings in PR have any relation to burning with another program to DVD over USB and causing mysterious problems? That would be about the last thing I would consider in troubleshooting. But never say never...

With intermittent problems it is always difficult to figure out where the culprit is. And what where the problems to begin with?

Incomplete burn, hang of the burning software, burn completed but did not play on external device, played but some errors?