• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

My Nook finds the downloaded books and is authorized but will not open them, any ideas how to fix?

New Here ,
May 20, 2010 May 20, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I finally got the Nook to find the books I loaded through DE, but they will not open,  B & N seems clueless and the local lib is working on the problem.  Meanwhile both books I downloaded are about to be overdue!  I could use some help!  Thanks!!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
May 20, 2010 May 20, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For Library book you must transfer the books to the nook (or any other reader) using ADE.  Specifically just copying the file to the nook in the Explorer/Finder will not work, is this what you did?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
May 22, 2010 May 22, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same problem.  Called B & N, but they do not "trouble shoot ADE". I don't really understand the response below (sorry - I'm technically disinclines).  I dragged my library book from my ADE folder (on my hard drive) to my "Documents" folder on my nook.  It's there, but when I try and open it it says "opening document"  .... and then returns me to the menu.  How do I "transfer books using ADE"?  Can you please give specific directions?  I would so appreciate it - then I could read books from the library !!!! yay!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 22, 2010 May 22, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do not use the Finder (Mac) or Explorer( Windows) to transfer Library books, it won't work.   You must use ADE (just drag the book from the Library onto the Nook folder).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 28, 2010 May 28, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks,even though I had done this nook did not find them. Shut it down and

thied it again, went on line and sent message and went to bed, next morning

it found the books and has worked ever since? Who knows?? Thanks for help

anyway! Lyman

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 28, 2010 May 28, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At first I did, then remembered that I needed to have both ADE and Nook with

same ID Number so I tried drag and drop from ADE.

Even though I had done this nook did not find them. Shut it down and tried

it again, no joy, went on line and sent message and went to bed, next

morning I tried it again and Nook found the books and has worked ever

since! Who knows?? Thanks for help anyway! Lyman

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 02, 2010 Jul 02, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having this same problem. Very frustrating, especially since this one of the features I bought the nook for... I download the epub file through ADE and drag and dropped onto the nook through ADE, and when I try to open it on the nook, I get the message 'user is not authorized". What's up with that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 03, 2010 Jul 03, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have exactly the same problem.  Help anyone?

I looked at the "item info" for the book in ADE and it indicated the following for permissions set by the publisher:

Allow viewing: on any device

Allow copying: not allowed

Allow printing: not allowed

Is the problem because I am not allowed to copy?  I would assume that allow viewing on any device, would mean that I am able to read the book on the nook.

Any thoughts, anyone?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Figured it out!

Connect nook to computer

In explorer, delete ".adobe-digital-editions" folder on the nook

Disconnect the nook from the computer

Start ADE

Then plug in the nook to the computer

ADE will ask to register the nook

Do so

Now I see the nook in ADE

Close ADE and disconnect nook

Now I am able to read the ebook that I had transferrred originally from ADE (purchased from Kobo)

Apparently, ADE did not register my nook properly the first time.  The second registration worked like a charm.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow - you are amazing !!!! I will try it and keep my fingers crossed. As my

library actually has quite a few ebooks, this will be great. Thank you so

much for your response.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 06, 2010 Jul 06, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I followed the direction, but I still am not able to read my ebook on nook.  The message says "Sorry, unable to open this book."  Anyone can figure out why? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 14, 2010 Jul 14, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi - I tried that and deleted the file but when I plugged my ereader back in Adobe

never recognized it.  Now what!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 14, 2010 Jul 14, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've basically given up. I'm very frustrated that B&N (Nook) does not

provide ANY technical assistance in this area. Is this a profit driven

decision? Libraries have always existed, yet people still go to bookstores

and purchase books. Even if I can download and read a book from the

library, i will still purchase ebooks for the convenience. When I want a

book from the library, it's not always available, and when it is available,

I don't always have time to read it - it would just be nice if this option

that is supposed to work would actually work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 22, 2010 Nov 22, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After going to the B and N store twice, speaking on the phone for assistance to Nook 12 times, going to the library and asking for help, working with the Nook and my computer for 36 hours, I had not been able to transfer the borrowed book unto my Nook.  You cleared up the problem for me.  Many thanks for the help.  Why is it that noone in the Nook HELP dept. can give one advice on how to proceed with this problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 22, 2010 Nov 22, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad it worked!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 10, 2010 Nov 10, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Achong19,

Thank you very much. It worked!!

I did realize that I had to "eject" my nook before I unplugged it to make it work. 

Now I have my library books.  This is wonderful since I am a retired librarian.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 15, 2010 Dec 15, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are amazing!!!!   I was getting so frustrated that I couldn't read the book I'd downloaded from the library. It worked like a charm. I was about a step away from boxing this thing up and returning it.

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 16, 2010 Dec 16, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're welcome!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Feb 04, 2011 Feb 04, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you for sharing that!

I had the same problem and this solved it - now I can read!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 28, 2011 Apr 28, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problem.  It is so frustrating.  Can anyone help?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What's the error message your getting?

Pete Aspinall

Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2011 12:36:10 -0600

To: peter_aspinall@hotmail.co.uk

Subject: My Nook finds the downloaded books and is authorized but will not open them, any ideas how to fix?

I am having the same problem. It is so frustrating. Can anyone help?

>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 29, 2011 Apr 29, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"User not Activated". But I am activated. Weird!

Carol

Prayer is like calling home every day!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using ADE to copy a borrowed library book to the Noon, is the correct method ADE copies the book to the "Digital Editions" folder of the Nook and it updates the "manifest.XML" file with information about the book. The manifest.XML" contains information about all the books on your nook; including the location of the folder in which the book file is located. Here's the problem: when ADE updates the "manifest" file it does not specify the correct location for the book that was copied to the Nook from the PC. In the manifest is says that the book is in the root directory of the Nook even though it was copied into the "Digital Editions" folder. In order words, the Nook knows that the book exists and has information about the book because it gets that information from the manifest file but it can t open the book because it is in a different place than where the manifest file says it is.

I get around this error by manually updating the "manifest.XML" file to reflect the correct location of the book file. If you have a PC you can do this with WordPad or any other text editor that you have available. The manifest file is in plain text. Each book list in the manifest will have a line like the following epub book that indicates the location of the book:

<de:localPath relative="true">Echo_Park_0001.epub</de:localPath>

This is what the correct line should look like:

<de:localPath relative="true">..Digital Editions/Echo_Park_0001 epub</de:localPath>

Note that I've added "..Digital Editions/" to the line to indicate that the file is actually located in the "Digital Editions" folder. Those are two periods before the word "Digital" and a slash ("/") after the word "Editions . You would have to make this change for each book you copy to the Nook using ADE. After making your changes, Save the file.

If you are uncomfortable with editing the "manifest" file you can simply move the file (Echo_Park_0001.epub) from the Digital

Editions folder of the Nook to the root directory of the Nook. Either method will make sure the book (i.e.: the .epub) file is where the manifest file says it is.

You would do these changes (one or the other) while the Nook is attached to the PC. If you know how to open folders and move files on a PC then you can operate on tiles and folders on the Nook in the same manner. As others have stated: eject the Nook device from the PC after you copied the book and either completed your changes to the manifest file or moved the ".epub" files to the correct folder.

NookUserGreg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 15, 2010 Jul 15, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was getting the 'User not authorised' message after I had linked the Nook up to the ADE software and thought I had  authorised it.  No such luck. After looking around the ADE software for a way of re-authorising the device I found the solution.

Using the Nook as a USB device find the folder '.adobe-digital-editions'  It contains one small XML file, which if you open contains the data about the machine.

DELETE the folder completely including the content (1 file).

Unplug the Nook.

Then bring up ADE, plug in the nook. It will then recoginise the Nook and ask you to authorise! Agree and it work correctly for me.

This time perfect - the EPUB DRM books open a treat and the Nook is now recognised. Whats the difference I don't know but it certainly worked for me.

I would be easier if Adobe established a de-authorise and re-authorise function in ADE.  Until then the above worked for me and now I will be keeping my Nook!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 18, 2010 Jul 18, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It worked your wonderful. Dont know why mine did it either but it worked! Thanks to people like you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines