19 Replies Latest reply on Jul 13, 2010 8:36 AM by durbonix

Expired Thawte Certificate killed our app

eKno

Today we got several calls from customers saying that they cannot install our application. Adobe Air would install just fine but when Air went to install the app.air file an error popped up saying “Sorry, an error has occurred. The application could not be installed because the AIR file is damaged. Try obtaining a new AIR file from the application author.” I tested the install on several computers here and they all gave the same error. All this happened the day after the Code Signing Certificate expired, so I rolled the clock back on the computer to May 18, 2010 and the application installed just fine. So we figure it must be a problem with the certificate expiring so we call the company that issued the certificate to us, Thawte. They explained to us that the program should keep installing just fine if a timestamp was applied at the time of the signing. Thawte said that you cannot timestamp with Adobe AIR and so when the certificate expired so did the ability to install the application, that’s why turning back the clock worked. Thawte said that there is a slight chance that the new certificate we purchased from them will fix all the disks we have already sent out but I doubt it. So is there a way to fix this so all the applications we allready sent out will work or will we have to redistribute with the new certificate in place? Thanks.