7 Replies Latest reply on May 22, 2010 7:58 AM by mussash9-YaYtJu

Export problem "A serious error has occured", or hang, upon export to Encore.

mussash9-YaYtJu

Hello,

I am using adobe Premiere CS3 3.2

I am trying to export my project to a DVD.  I've been told that the best way to do this with minimizing quality loss is to export to Encore.

My project has some filters that affect system memory and have locked up the computer numerous times before, like Looks Suite and Noise Remover (on some clips)

when I choose export to Encore, then choose settings, I get the error "A Serious Error has occured...."  Then I trried lowering the settings, and I got the window that says "Rendering", at least, but nothing appeared in that window after I left it overnight.

So I have some questions:

- What's the best thing I can do to export my movie onto a DVD with minimum loss of quality?

- Should I export as a video file first?  Which is the best quality?  Then can I export to Encore?

- Does it help to pre-render my entire project in Premiere first, THEN export to Encore?

I'd appreciate some advice.

Thanks!

EDIT:  I just tried to export as a Quicktime Uncompressed video with the regular method (Export-> Movie).. and it gave me the error "Could not compile movie..."  then the message "adobe premiere pro is running very low on system memory"

So I am assuming this is a memory issue?  Then what should I do??

Also, I want to ask- If I put my entire project with all its files onto an external hard drive, then move them to another computer with adobe premiere pro installed which also has the same filters installed,  would I be able to export this way?

• 1. Re: Export problem "A serious error has occured", or hang, upon export to Encore.
          Harm Millaard Level 7

If you know the ins and outs of encoding, encode with MPEG2-DVD.

If you don't, export movie with Microsoft AVI and let Encore do the transcoding for you.

Running out of system memory is usually an indication that your setup is not good enough. You could move everything related to the project to another computer and long as you make sure that you use identical drive letters and directory structures on both.

• 2. Re: Export problem "A serious error has occured", or hang, upon export to Encore.
            mussash9-YaYtJu Level 1

Thank you Harm,

At this time, actually, I think I need to use that setup to export my movie, as it has several filtes instaled on it, and a special sound system "Matrox Audio" and hardware... it's hard to explain... but I think  I will expor the audio as well just in case.

It seems that I am able to export bits and pieces of the movie, even the heavily filtered parts, but when I attempt to do it as a whole, it encounters an error.  I plan to export the bits and pieces, and the audio separately in a .wav... then create a new project and merge the pieces together, and put the audio on the timeline as well.  Then export that project to Encore.... what do you think?  Or should  I do this a different way?

So if I go this route, what's the best way to preserve quality?  I did some tests before hand on exporting- are you sure that the AVI is bette quality than the Uncompressed Quicktime .mov?  Also, when  I export, should I use Adobe media encorder, or should i use the regular file->export?

Thanks for the help again,

Derek

Message was edited by: mussash9

• 3. Re: Export problem "A serious error has occured", or hang, upon export to Encore.
              Harm Millaard Level 7

Am I correct that I hear a weird, annoying and often troublesome sound here called Matrox? Try without anything Matrox and you will be much better off.

Matrox could well be the source of your problems.

• 4. Re: Export problem "A serious error has occured", or hang, upon export to Encore.
                mussash9-YaYtJu Level 1

Matrox is the hardware we use at the workstation for capturing and playback.  But after things are captured, they become AVI files on the hard drive.  So when I play these back in premiere, it is playing the avi files, and only uses Matrox for playing back the sound (I have to plug in my headphone jack into the Matrox hardware)...

Anyway  I highly doubt this is the problem, because other videos export fine, but mine, since I use a lot of filtes, uses too much memory (I'll get error messages telling me this.. like "Neat Video Filter is requesting a memory block... " ect...

So I'm sure it's a memory problem- I'd just like a confirmation, keeping in mind my desire to prserve quality, that my plan of exporting to .mov in segments, then reimporting those into another project, then exporting to encore is the best in this case.

Thank you

• 5. Re: Export problem "A serious error has occured", or hang, upon export to Encore.
                  shooternz Level 6
                  Matrox is the hardware we use at the workstation for capturing and playback.  But after things are captured, they become AVI files on the hard drive.  So when I play these back in premiere, it is playing the avi files, and only uses Matrox for playing back the sound (I have to plug in my headphone jack into the Matrox hardware)...

AVI...maybe.... but Matrox in their "wisdom" reverse the field order.  This has been an issue in the past.  Might be yours now as well.

• 6. Re: Export problem "A serious error has occured", or hang, upon export to Encore.
                    Harm Millaard Level 7

If you are convinced that your memory is the issue here, what did Memtest86+ tell you? How much do you have on what OS and on what hardware?

• 7. Re: Export problem "A serious error has occured", or hang, upon export to Encore.
                      mussash9-YaYtJu Level 1

I am quite sure it is a memory problem... the computer exported other videos in the past just fine, but its never been used for making a film with a lot of filters and such that run down the memory, and so it gives me the memory errors.

I am not sure what is "Memtest86+"... I would like to try such a program, but in fact this is not my computer... I am using a Workstation at a University and now I have limited time to complete my project (I must figure out a solution by the end of the day on Monday)

Maybe AVI is the best for some... but I have done comparisons beforehand which found .mov to be the best... and I was even told that uncompressed quicktime doesn't lose quality at all (though in fact it seems to just a bit). So if you not completely sure which will be better, I will go with .mov.

So I will try a few things- like exporting only the "special" clips which  used a lot of filters on individually as .mov, then reimporting them into the project, then trying to export the whole thing into  encore...  If that does not work, I will try to export fragments as.mov (because if I try to export too much at one time, it has the memory error->crash).. then create a new project, import the .mov files, and export to Encore.

I only have limited time to solve this problem.. do you all think I am taking the right steps?

Also one key question I have is about the audio.. do you recommend that I export all of the audio into one wav file, and then put that into the new project?  Or should I just export the quicktime files, with their audio, into the project and keep it like that?

I appreciate the help, again