1 2 Previous Next 45 Replies Latest reply on Oct 25, 2010 1:20 PM by ablichter

DNG Converter: limited path

basu68

DNG converter worked for some time on my PC with Windows 7 but since a few days the onlyu path it can see is c:/users/myname

Any idea where DNG converter gets this crippled path? All my other software runs fine BTW.

I tried reinstalling DNG Converter and Camera RAW but I am afraid it uses some kind of registry setting that is not removed when reinstalling..

Can anyone help?

Bas

• 1. Re: DNG Converter: limited path
          rwbarbee

I too am having the same problem. I just downloaded the latest version of the converter on a Windows

7 Professional 64-bit system.

Also running Photoshop CS3 and Lightroom 2.7

rod

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: DNG Converter: limited path
            basu68 Level 1

same here.. 64 bit.. and running Photoshop CS4... and Lightroom 2.7

Don't know if it is relevant but my system disk is a SSD....

• 3. Re: DNG Converter: limited path
              dfranzen_adobe Level 3

I'm unable to reproduce this problem. Can everyone tell me exactly what version of the DNG Converter you are using?

Also, is everyone having this problem also using a solid state drive?

Thank you,

David

• 4. Re: DNG Converter: limited path
                basu68 Level 1

using the latest DNG converter: 5.7 I see the installer is much bigger than the standalone executable, I see it installs a lot of camera RAW profiles. Do these make up most of the data of the instaler? Or is there more.. very difficult for me to tackle this problem because I can't uninstall and don't know where everything goes.

I can remember right before I installed my Windows 7 for the second time, I had a similar problem with Adobe Lightroom. It just would not see anything that wasn't on my C: disk (which IS the SSD btw).

I needed a clean install at that time anyway, and after the problem was gone.

• 5. Re: DNG Converter: limited path
                  rwbarbee Level 1

also using the latest converter. No solid state drive involved.

• 6. Re: DNG Converter: limited path
                    basu68 Level 1

It might have something to do with the Lightroom 3.0 beta... I have the same problem in LR3.0b on a different machine.

• 7. Re: DNG Converter: limited path
                      MitchNYC10065

I am not using a SSD -- just a normal hard drive.

I encountered this problem with the last version of DNG Converter, so I just downloaded and installed the very latest one, and the problem persists.

Here is the dialog box for selecting the path to the RAW files:

ScreenShot011.jpg

I cannot navigate to any folder/directory outside of my Desktop or the Users\Admin path.

Mitch

• 8. Re: DNG Converter: limited path
                        rwbarbee Level 1

This problem also pops up in Lightroom (I'm using 2.7) and Bridge CS5. I Lightroom, when I try to choose an Export location the only choices I have are my desktop and user Library, no access to the rest of the computer.

In Bridge, if I try to Copy To or Move To and click on Choose Folder, the same thing happens.

this is what I see:

browse.jpg

There is no access to "Computer" or any drives.

While looking up this problem in the Lightroom forum, I found some posts suggestioning taking ownership of drives/folders and setting permissions. So far none of that has worked for me.

• 9. Re: DNG Converter: limited path
                          basu68 Level 1

>>SOLUTION!<<

After months of pulling my hair out, I found that if you change your account type to Administrator, the problem goes away!

• 10. Re: DNG Converter: limited path
                            Off.line-exwYCG

That’s usually the case.  In most things.  But especially so in Microsoftland.

Mark R Friedman

(908) 277-1966

http://devicefailure.deviantart.com/gallery/

• 11. Re: DNG Converter: limited path
                              MitchNYC10065 Level 1

My account type is Administrator, and always has been, and I have this problem nevertheless, so while changing the account type to Administrator may have been a solution for you, it is apparently not a universal solution to the problem.

• 12. Re: DNG Converter: limited path
                                rwbarbee Level 1

My account is also Administrator (Win 7 64-bit professional) and I also have this problem. The problem is persistent in Bridge, Lightroom, and the DNG converter. It's annoying. I've tried changing permissionx, taking ownership of folders and drives. So far nothing has worked. Interestingly, this problem doesn't show up on my laptop (Win 7 32-bit Home Premium).

• 13. Re: DNG Converter: limited path
                                  basu68 Level 1

I realized the account I was using started out as an account with Admin rights but turned out it had changed for some reason.. make sure your account really has the Administrator rights... it worked for me..

• 14. Re: DNG Converter: limited path
                                    rwbarbee Level 1

checked and double checked.

• 15. Re: DNG Converter: limited path
                                      rwbarbee Level 1

Found out something kind of weird. The account I use on my computer has administrator rights. It's listed right there in the Administrators group and is designated as an adminstrator in the User Accounts Settings panel.

There is also an "Administrator" account in addition to my normal account. By logging in to the "Administrator" account, I now have access to the entire computer through Lightroom. The problem, of course, is that account doesn't have all the things set up as my normal account does.

I'm thinking this must be an Adobe issue as I have no problems browsing for folders in Bridge CS3 whereas I'm restricted in Bridge CS5 (as well as Lightroom 2.7)

I wonder if Adobe is only recognizing the first administrator account. I guess I'll try to file a bug report.

• 16. Re: DNG Converter: limited path
                                        dfranzen_adobe Level 3

I'm still unable to reproduce this problem.

Please try installing the 6.1 DNG Converter:

http://www.adobe.com/go/dng_converter_win

Can you let me know if you installed Windows 7 from scratch or updated from a previous version of Windows?

Thanks,

David Franzen

• 17. Re: DNG Converter: limited path
                                          rwbarbee Level 1

Installed 6.1 and have the same problem. I can neither navigate to a folder to choose files or navigate to a folder to save files.

On the computer with this problem, I installed Windows 7 (Professional) from scratch. On my laptop, which doesn't have this problem,

I updated to Windows 7 (Home Premium) from Windows XP Home.

This problem also comes up in Lightroom (2.7) and Bridge CS5. It isn't present in Bridge CS3.

It appears that the lastest Adobe programs need to run under the default Administrator account to be able to choose folders elsewhere on the computer/drives. I'm running them under the account I created when installing Windows 7 (named it "Rod") and that account is an Administrator account. But I have to log in to the default Admin. account to be able to browse to folders using the "choose folder" button (in DNG converter, Bridge CS5, and Lightroom 2.7)

I don't have this same problem on my Windows 7 32-bit laptop and I recall reading somewhere that the 64-bit OS handles security stuff differently?? Not sure.

rod

• 18. Re: DNG Converter: limited path
                                            dfranzen_adobe Level 3

Rob,

Thanks for trying 6.1. I've tried installing and running the 5.7 and 6.1 DNG Converter both as a member of the Administrators group and using a standard user account, but I'm unable to reproduce the bug. Both users can choose folders outside their home directories. Standard users are prompted to enter an Administrator password during install, but not when running the app. Unfortunately I still don't know what is causing the problem on your machine. If I found out any useful information, I'll post it here.

Thanks,

David

• 19. Re: DNG Converter: limited path
                                              rwbarbee Level 1

Thanks David,

I'll keep plugging away as well and if I find anything I'll post it.

rod

• 20. Re: DNG Converter: limited path
                                                MitchNYC10065 Level 1

I have Win 7 Premium (64-bit) and it was a clean install (the computer came with that OS installed).

I have only one user account on the machine, which is an administrator account.

I don't have Lightroom, but I do have Photoshop CS5 Extended and I don't believe I've experienced this problem with Bridge CS5 -- only with DNG Converter.(However, I will double-check tonight when I get home.)

I upgraded to the latest version of DNG Converter (6.1) and it didn't solve the problem.

• 21. Re: DNG Converter: limited path
                                                  basu68 Level 1

Although I fixed the problem at home, my PC at work has exactly the same problem...(Win7 x64) maybe partly because here I do not even have the option for Admin rights.

Ofcourse, the application should not need admin rights to function properly.... I think Adobe should really fix this properly if they want to install the DNG format as a future proof standard.

The minimal documentation and poor support is quite typical for a company this big... At the same time my computer is "infested" with Adobe bloatware running an service or executable for every imaginable purpose.

I might have to take this a little further than just this forum....

• 22. Re: DNG Converter: limited path
                                                    MitchNYC10065 Level 1

I confirmed that I do not have a problem with Bridge CS5.  I also confirmed that the problem with DNG Converter 6.1 persists even if I right-click and choose "Run As Administrator" so I doubt it has to do with Administrator rights.

• 23. Re: DNG Converter: limited path
                                                      basu68 Level 1

I do not think it has something to do with running the executable in and Administrator mode.. I feel the problem is linked to folder permissions.

The problem dissapeared for me as soon as I logged in as Administrator and gave my personal account full admin rights.

• 24. Re: DNG Converter: limited path
                                                        rwbarbee Level 1

more experimenting. I've tried creating new accounts on my pc.

I've done this from my main account, which has admin priviledges.

I created new admin and standard accounts, with and without passwords.

In all of these accounts, the problems documented here are not present.

I'm at a loss as to why this only affects my main account.

rod

• 25. Re: DNG Converter: limited path
                                                          Level 4

rwbarbee wrote:

…I'm at a loss as to why this only affects my main account.

Obviously, you have software corruption in your main account. 

• 26. Re: DNG Converter: limited path
                                                            rwbarbee Level 1

Software corruption? Care to elaborate? Because it's not all that obvious to me. Do you think these Adobe products are corrupt (Lightroom, Bridge CS5 and the DNG converter) or something in the operating system affecting just that account?

• 27. Re: DNG Converter: limited path
                                                              Level 4

rwbarbee wrote:

…Do you think these Adobe products are corrupt (Lightroom, Bridge CS5 and the DNG converter)…

No, the applications themselves are fine, otherwise they would not work in new accounts.  What must be corrupt are one or more application support files (such as preferences, etc.) or OS support files, or both.  Each account creates its own such files, that's why new accounts work.

Sorry, I can't give you more details, as I am not A Windows user.

Wo Tai Lao Le

我太老了

• 28. Re: DNG Converter: limited path
                                                                rwbarbee Level 1

I think my solution will be to use Lightroom, DNG converter or Bridge CS5 in another account when I need them to be able to export to places other than the user folders. Not all that elegant, but it'll work.

• 29. Re: DNG Converter: limited path
                                                                  Jtoksa

I am using Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit and an Administrator account.

The problem can be hard to reproduce because it only appears after using the utility for a while. On my computer the problem disappears after a reboot but always eventually re-emerges after a random interval.

PLEASE DO SOMETHING ABOUT THIS BUG QUICKLY.

I do not want to reboot twice a day and reopen all my applications.

Adobe.gif

• 30. Re: DNG Converter: limited path
                                                                    dfranzen_adobe Level 3

I'm investigating this bug and will let you know when and if we have a solution. I've seen the problem occur, but it's not yet clear to me what the root cause is, or how to reproduce the bug consistently on a machine/user account where it's not happening.

Jtoksa, if the bug is recurring at a "random" interval is there anything consistent about the pattern of source and destination file paths you were using after after a reboot, but before the bug recurs?

Thanks to everyone providing info,

David Franzen

• 31. Re: DNG Converter: limited path
                                                                      Jtoksa Level 1

Dfranzen, I have not noticed any pattern in the way that the problem occurs. My source and destination directories are usually at the end of the same path (d:\nikon\raw), sometimes they are the same directory (e.g. d:\nikon\raw\2010-07), sometimes the destination is a subdirectory of the source (for example d:\nikon\raw\2010-07\Dng), sometimes the source and the destination are subdirectories of the same directory (for example d:\nikon\raw\2010-07\Nef and d:\nikon\raw\2010-07\Dng).

What is consistent is that the problem never goes away without a reboot, I have tried for example running the program in Windows Xp compatibility mode and with Administrator rights, with no effect.

Also, reading the articles here, it seems that the problem only occurs in Windows 7 64-bit.

• 32. Re: DNG Converter: limited path
                                                                        Jtoksa Level 1

Dfranzen, One more thing...

Oddly, the problem only occurs with the "select folder" button in the "select the images to convert" section (1) while the "select folder" button in the "select location to save converted images" (2) continues to work normally.

In other words, one can select any directory as the destination directory, only the source selection is limited to the user's profile directory.

• 33. Re: DNG Converter: limited path
                                                                          Jtoksa Level 1

Drfranzen, since there seems to be no functional difference between the two "select folder" buttons, one would expect them to use the same program code. For example, the same class method would be used to create both "select folder" windows.

But perhaps that is not the case because the bug only seems to exist in the source selection feature.

If you compare the code sections which are responsible for the two distinct "select folder" functionalities, any difference between the two might lead you to the cause of the issue.

• 34. Re: DNG Converter: limited path
                                                                            dfranzen_adobe Level 3

Hi,

Thanks for the additional information. Unfortunately, I've seen the bug occur for both pickers, so it's not just limited to the source selection.

-David

• 35. Re: DNG Converter: limited path
                                                                              Jtoksa Level 1

Dfranzen, I understand, in that case it seems that the problem occurs in the selectors independently of each other. Apparently the application remembers the state of both selectors independently, so that they may become confused one at a time. It is odd that restarting the application does not fix them, whereas restarting the entire machine does.

• 36. Re: DNG Converter: limited path
                                                                                MitchNYC10065 Level 1

On my PC, the bug affects both pickers (Win 7, 64 bit).

• 37. Re: DNG Converter: limited path
                                                                                  ArendF

Any solution to this problem?

• 38. Re: DNG Converter: limited path
                                                                                    rwbarbee Level 1

strangely enough, this problem has disappeared (a couple of weeks ago) for me in Lightroom. It still exists in the DNG converter and the Copy To and Move To commands in Bridge. It does not appear in the Export command in Bridge, however.

rod

• 39. Re: DNG Converter: limited path
                                                                                      ablichter Level 2

Same here.Windows7 64bit.

So far I couldn't figure out what exactly is the reason, but it must be something in the user profile.

When creating a new user, the "select folder" dialog behaves like expected. As soon I copy anything from my actual user profile to the new one, I have no choice to select anything outside c:\user\new_account anymore.

Both accounts are admins and UAC is disabled.

1 2 Previous Next