2 Replies Latest reply on May 24, 2010 1:47 AM by duxy_d

Generating "raw" images in ACR?

duxy_d Level 1

I'm working with "raw" images using custom software, and I'd like to be able to pass images processed in ACR into my software.

I can currently pass dng images and proprietary raw images (such as direct from cameras) into my software. I want to process a raw (from camera, e.g. NEF) image in ACR and then save that processed image as dng, for passing into my software. However, when I examine the (processed) ACR-saved dng, I find that the raw pixel data in the dng is *not* modified. I suspect that the modifications made in ACR are stored in the metadata of the dng when it is saved in ACR, and are only 'applied' to the raw pixel values when interpreted by appropriate software. Is this correct? And if so, is there *any* way of producing an ACR processed dng file in which the raw pixel data *is* modified? i.e. so that the results of the processing can be seen when the dng is viewed in RawShooter for example? The processing I am doing in ACR is lens distortion correction.

• 1. Re: Generating "raw" images in ACR?
          dorin_nicolaescu Level 5

I suspect that the modifications made in ACR are stored in the metadata of the dng when it is saved in ACR, and are only 'applied' to the raw pixel values when interpreted by appropriate software. Is this correct?

Yes.

And if so, is there *any* way of producing an ACR processed dng file in which the raw pixel data *is* modified? i.e. so that the results of the processing can be seen when the dng is viewed in RawShooter for example?

Since the answer two the first question is Yes, that naturally implies a No for the second. You can save a demosaiced DNG, which is essentially a TIFF. That's what DxO used to do (and still does) when passing lens-corrected RAWs to other converters.

• 2. Re: Generating "raw" images in ACR?
            duxy_d Level 1

Thanks Dorin, guess I'll have to try make do with demosaiced data!