9 Replies Latest reply on May 23, 2010 11:27 PM by Anish Singla

CS5 maximise window

Michael_H._Phillips-DRs5tb Level 1

In CS4 (Mac), clicking the green button in the main window would resize the window so that its edges abutted the palettes that I had arranged so carefully on the right-hand edge of the screen. In CS5 the window zooms behind the palettes filling the whole screen. I don't like that.

Unless I've overlooked something (quite likely) there's no way of persuading window zoom in CS5 to emulate CS4.

MHP

• 1. Re: CS5 maximise window
          Monika Gause Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Do you use the application bar (see Window-Menu) and are documents docked or floating?

• 2. Re: CS5 maximise window

I use neither the Application Frame nor the Application Bar. The documents aren't tabbed - is that what you mean by floating?

MHP

• 3. Re: CS5 maximise window

Yes. And when that is the case, you'll hide at least parts of the interfaca when you maximize the window.

• 4. Re: CS5 maximise window

So it has changed from CS4 to CS5. I wonder if this is by design or by accident. If by design, what could the reason be?

MHP

• 5. Re: CS5 maximise window

No, that works the same in CS4. Maybe you have set up both versions differently?

Applications work like that on Windows. With more people using both Win and Mac and more people getting accustomed to tabbed documents in web browsers or other applications there apparently has been a demand for tabbed documents in Illy.

If you unselect Application frame (it doesn't make too much sense when working with floating documents anyway), the document won't expand over the interface elements.

• 6. Re: CS5 maximise window
                    Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

It works the same as before here as well I would say your settings folder is corrupt

Try this

On the PC

1. Quit Illustrator.
                    2. Rename the AIPrefs file (for example, to AIPrefs.old) in the Users/(user)/AppData/Roaming/Adobe/Adobe Illustrator CS3 Settings folder.
                    3. Start Illustrator. Illustrator creates a new preferences file.

On the Mac

1. Quit Illustrator.

2.Go to User/username/Library/Preferences/ Adobe illustrator CS4 Settings and trash the settings folder, the whole folder not just the contents of the folder..

3. Start Illustrator. Illustrator creates a new preferences file.

• 7. Re: CS5 maximise window
                      Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

You will have to re arrange your panels and stuff one more time.

• 8. Re: CS5 maximise window

Monika Gause wrote:

If you unselect Application frame (it doesn't make too much sense when working with floating documents anyway), the document won't expand over the interface elements.

In CS4, with Application Frame inactive, maximised windows abut and do not overlap (or, rather, underlap) the palettes.

In CS5, same setup as CS4 above, maximised windows fill the screen and are partially hidden by the palettes.

In CS5, with Application Frame active and adjusted to fill the space between the Toolbar and the palettes, windows, tabbed or not, automatically fill the maximum available space.

So behaviour has changed from CS4 to CS5. It's not really a complaint, more a minor grumble. I don't like unnecessary change.

MHP

• 9. Re: CS5 maximise window
                          Anish Singla Adobe Employee

The document goes behind the panels if you have changed the workspace after creating a document and the new workspace has more columns of docked panels than the workspace that was selected at the time of creating document like if you switch from 'Essentials' to 'Like Photoshop', similar behavior is there in AICS4 also. Perhaps you have changed workspace in AICS5 after creating document and in AICS4 before creating document.

Moreover of the document goes behind the panels, you can click Maximize button agian and it gets adjusted to the panel bounds.