7 Replies Latest reply on May 24, 2010 8:45 AM by Randy Edmunds

Sites gone from site list in DW8

redwolf0123

Hey All-

So, I did some searching on the issue, there seem to be a lot of people with similar issues throughout the years, but as far as I can tell, no real solutions provided.

The issue I am having is that everytime I Launch Dreamweaver 8, all of my sites my Managed Sites list are gone. I am currently running this on Mac OS X using a Trial (trying to see if its worth upgrading from an older versions).

So, I have a couple of questions on this issue:

1. Might the issue be related to the fact that I'm using the Trial version (I couldn't find any mention of this in the Trial info)?

2. Has anyone found a solution to this issue (I don't consider the Export / Import option a "proper" solution)?

3. Is Adobe even aware of this issue?

I have used many versions of Dreamweaver throughout the years and I have never encountered an issue like this, and it concerns me a little as to what other issues I may encounter with this tool.

Any help or feedback is greatly appreciated.

• 1. Re: Sites gone from site list in DW8
          Randy Edmunds Adobe Employee

The issue I am having is that everytime I Launch Dreamweaver 8, all of my sites my Managed Sites list are gone. I am currently running this on Mac OS X using a Trial (trying to see if its worth upgrading from an older versions).

So, I have a couple of questions on this issue:

1. Might the issue be related to the fact that I'm using the Trial version (I couldn't find any mention of this in the Trial info)?

2. Has anyone found a solution to this issue (I don't consider the Export / Import option a "proper" solution)?

3. Is Adobe even aware of this issue?

If you still have Dreamweaver 7 (MX 2004) installed, then Dreamweaver 8 should migrate the Site definitions forward. It doesn't matter if it's a trial or not.

If that's not working, I suggest shutting down DW8, deleting the General Preferences and User Configuration folder. This re-trigger the Site migration code the next time you start DW8.

If that doesn't work, then the Export / Import option is the best solution. And it's always a good idea to have backup copies of your Site defintions.

Regards,

Randy Edmunds

Dreamweaver Development

Adobe Systems, Inc.

• 2. Re: Sites gone from site list in DW8
            redwolf0123 Level 1

Randy-

Thanks for the input. I'm actually not importing sites from an older version of Dreamweaver. I created these sites completely new on this system. The installation of DW8 is also on a brand new computer (IE: There has been no other installation of DreamWeaver on it before).

I am able to create the sites fine, and DW8 remembers the sites so long as I don't close Dreamweaver. As soon as I close Dreamweaver and re-open it, all my sites are gone every time.

• 3. Re: Sites gone from site list in DW8

I'm actually not importing sites from an older version of Dreamweaver. I created these sites completely new on this system. The installation of DW8 is also on a brand new computer (IE: There has been no other installation of DreamWeaver on it before).

I am able to create the sites fine, and DW8 remembers the sites so long as I don't close Dreamweaver. As soon as I close Dreamweaver and re-open it, all my sites are gone every time.

Dreamweaver saves the Site definitions to a Preferences file, so that sounds like a permissions problem (i.e. writing out that file is failing). Try repairing your permissions.

HTH,

Randy

• 4. Re: Sites gone from site list in DW8
                redwolf0123 Level 1

Tried that one as well, sounds like its a common issue. I set the permissions on the /Library/Application Support/Adobe/Dreamweaver folder to Read & Write (full permissions) for everyone. I also applied this recursively to all sub-folders.

Is it possible that because the first time I ran DW it didn't have these permissions for everyone that the folder is corrupt now and needs to be deleted? If so, which folder (or folders) should I be deleting to do this?

The Import / Export works, but it seems like a silly thing to do have to do for such an expensive piece of professional software.

• 5. Re: Sites gone from site list in DW8

From the System Requirements "cannot install on a volume that uses a case-sensitive file system or on  removable flash-based storage devices". Are either of those the case?

Also, make sure that there are no spaces or High ASCII characters in your Volume name.

It doesn't say this in the requirements, I always run on an account that has Admintrator privileges. Did you try that?

I'm not a Mac person, so maybe someone who knows more about Macs can help figure out why the Preferences are not being written to disk.

Regards,

Randy

• 6. Re: Sites gone from site list in DW8
                    redwolf0123 Level 1

Ya, I'm not much of a Mac guy either.

I couldn't tell you anything about the system from that perspective. The filenames do have spaces in them, but I used the default install parameters provided by the Adobe Installer, so I would hope they would work ok.

As I say, that's what concerns me. Completely new system, no modifications, and a completely default install. I would think this would be a common test setup, so not sure what the issue is.

• 7. Re: Sites gone from site list in DW8

Completely new system, no modifications, and a completely default install. I would think this would be a common test setup, so not sure what the issue is.

If this is a 30 Trial on a completely new system, then you might as well start with the latest version of DW, which is CS5:

http://www.adobe.com/go/trydreamweaver

Randy