3 Replies Latest reply on May 21, 2010 5:30 PM by CindyLoo37

How do I save a file and keep the transparent background?

CindyLoo37

Hi, I am a newcomer to Photoshop CS5, (and don't have much technical knowledge in the first place lol) so please pardon my apparent ignorance. lol... At any rate, I can't seem to save a file with a transaparent background and have the transparent background be retained when I export the file to an online platform.  Saving it as a targa (32 bit) worked with my old Photoshop 7.0, but I have the CS5 now and saving it this way, gives me a white background rather than a transparent one when I export it.  Please advise... and TY!

• 1. Re: How do I save a file and keep the transparent background?
          David Dobish Adobe Employee

Save as a PNG, TIFF, PSD all of those will preserve transparency.

Does that work for you?

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: How do I save a file and keep the transparent background?
            Dr Missile Level 1

So Adobe, in all of their glorious wisdom made is so you have to manually create your 'alpha channels' for TGAs. That's where the transparency information for your TGAs is stored. If you look at your channels palette in Photoshop, you will notice red, green, and blue channels. Clicking the little page button at the bottom of the channels palette will create an empty alpha channel (filled with black).

The way alphas work is on gray scale where black is transparent and white is opaque. What you need to do is select the transparency of your layer. Do so by going back to your layers palette. Ctrl-click the little layer preview in the layer palette to make a selection of the layer's transparency, then back to your alpha in the channels palette, clicking on it to activate it. fill the selection with white.  When you save your image, make sure it's 32 bit and the box that reads "Alpha Channels" is ticked in the save dialogue. The TGA will have an alpha embedded in the file and thus transparency.  Hope this helps.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: How do I save a file and keep the transparent background?
              CindyLoo37 Level 1

thank you, I've got it now!~