5 Replies Latest reply on May 21, 2010 4:57 PM by Monika Gause

Too many fonts open

CSGD_424

I have hundreds of fonts loaded into Font Book. Most of them are closed but all are appearing in my list of character in Illustrator CS3. Is there a setting I need to use? I've never had this happen before. I'm using OS 10.5.8. I've verified every font that is currently in Font Book.

• 1. Re: Too many fonts open
          Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

Are they deactivated? Can you make a set of the ones that are not used and deactivate them?

Do you have automatic activation

Perhaps the fonts are stored in folder that Illustrator can read without font book.

• 2. Re: Too many fonts open
            CSGD_424 Level 1

Most of the fonts are diabled. Where do I specify no automatic activation?
            I have it turned off in the Font Book preferences.

• 3. Re: Too many fonts open
              Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

My thought is that the fonts in question might have been installed in a folder that Adobe Illustrator has control over  and so even if you disable the fonts they are available to Illustrator. Find the folder where these fonts are locate them to another location, first totally remove them from Font book then add them back to font book once they have been relocated.

Otherwise it might be a corrupt AI preference so try this first

PC

1. Quit Illustrator.
              2. Rename the AIPrefs file (for example, to AIPrefs.old) in the Users/(user)/AppData/Roaming/Adobe/Adobe Illustrator CS3 Settings folder.
              3. Start Illustrator. Illustrator creates a new preferences file.

Mac

1. Quit Illustrator.
              2.Go to User/username/Library/Preferences/ Adobe illustrator CS4 Settings and trash the settings folder, the whole folder not just the contents of the folder..
              3. Start Illustrator. Illustrator creates a new preferences file.

• 4. Re: Too many fonts open
                CSGD_424 Level 1

Dumping the Settings folder didn't do it. Any idea where (besides my home>library>fonts) the fonts might be accessed from? I've looked in all my font folders and only the one in my Home Library are the ones I'm talking about.

• 5. Re: Too many fonts open
                  Monika Gause Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Have you already gone through this kb-Document?

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/327/327791.html