9 Replies Latest reply on Sep 28, 2010 12:49 AM by pwillener

reader 9.3 windows 7 crashes when it opens

rinbosha

This may have been solved before, but here are the steps i took, and nothing worked:

• checked for any malware (none found);
      • checked for updated drivers (all drivers up to date);
      • ran a RAM check;
      • fixed registry errors
      • did a full system scan under AVG
      • uninstalled Reader 9.3, removed all files (in user\AppData\Local\Adobe and under program files), reinstalled Reader 9.3 (twice)

My system is a brand new Dell Inspiron, running Windows 7 (64 bit), with 4Gb RAM and a Pentium Dual Core. It should have no problem running Reader 9.3.2, but I can't get it to even show a startup splash, let alone open pdf files (either in browser, or stored locally).

I keep getting the same error message:

Problem signature:

Problem Event Name: BEX

Application Name: AcroRd32.exe

Application Version: 9.3.0.148

Application Timestamp: 4b309800

Fault Module Name: AcroForm (1).api_unloaded

Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0

Fault Module Timestamp: 4bb80bbb

Exception Offset: 674ea9aa

Exception Code: c0000005

Exception Data: 00000008

OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.768.3

Locale ID: 1033

Additional Information 1: 0a9e

Additional Information 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

Additional Information 3: 0a9e

Additional Information 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

I am wondering if this isn't a windows 7 thing, more than a Reader 9.3 thing. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• 1. Re: reader 9.3 windows 7 crashes when it opens
          MichaelKazlow MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Try turning off any video acceleration.

• 2. Re: reader 9.3 windows 7 crashes when it opens
            rinbosha Level 1

my graphics options (probably a Windows& Dell thing) won't let me turn off acceleration.... Can't say I know why, I tried the usual graphics apps in control panel. Any other fixes?

• 3. Re: reader 9.3 windows 7 crashes when it opens
              rinbosha Level 1

turns out there is a board over on the Windows side, and there is a solution. Simply download Reader 8.2... I did and it works now. Until there is a fix for whatever is not working with 9.3, at least there is 8.2.

• 4. Re: reader 9.3 windows 7 crashes when it opens
                lab84

I'm having the same issue as we are currently building a new SOE in our environment.

8.2 works perfectly but 9.3.2 or any version of 9 crashes with this fault.

I hope adobe fixes this issue as it is quite serious as companies start moving to windows 7.

It seems that if you logon as an administrator and run adobe its fine. Same with adobe PDF files in IE open fine if you login as administrator.

Hopefully that may work for you too.

• 5. Re: reader 9.3 windows 7 crashes when it opens
                  lab84 Level 1

Guys

I've found a fix forthis issue.

So try the following steps:

Logon to your Vista/Windows 7 as local administrator

Unhide the folders, hidden files and system files via Folder Options

Browse to C:\Documents and settings\username\

On the folder C:\Documents and settings\username\Application Data and remove Everyone group.

eg. C:\Documents and Settings\lab84

You should now be able to login as the user having issues launching adobe. In Windows 7 you can also hold shift right click on the Adobe Reader 9 shortcut while holding the shift key and run as a different user. Type in the credentials of the user that can't launch adobe reader and see if this fix works.

I was getting the error if i was logged in as administrator and launched the application with run as command as my normal account. I ran ProcessMon from the Microsoft website and noticed the access denied propts displaying in ProcessMon.

I changed the permissions on the Application Data folder and all is well wether i launch it as the standard user or login as the user and launch adobe.

IE8 has also started working perfectly when opening PDF files.

If you get Access Denied to the Documents and settings folder all you  need to do is remove the Everyone that has List folder contents for This folder only from the Security > Advanced section of permissions and you will be able to acces the folders underneath. Alternatively just type in the address field in explorer C:\Documents and Settings\username replacing username with the logon id of the user you wish to apply this fix to.

I hope this helps everyone! I spend at least 15 hours trying to sort this out.

• 6. Re: reader 9.3 windows 7 crashes when it opens
                    David TIU

My Windows 7 Pro do not have "Everyone" in the Permissions list...and the folder is

C:\Users\<username>...not C:\Documents and Settings\<username>...

I better go back to 8.2...

• 7. Re: reader 9.3 windows 7 crashes when it opens
                      lab84 Level 1

David,

The folder that needs to be modified is actually C:\Documents and Settings\<username> not C:\Users\<username>

If you follow the instructions you might have some success with running v9 in Windows 7.

We have been using windows 7 here at IOOF with adobe 9.3.x ever since I found this fix with absoloutely no issues at all.

You will need to unhide the system files etc via Tools > Folder Options > View and then

Untick Hide protected operating system files and also select Show hidden files, folders and drives.

Hope this helps.

• 8. Re: reader 9.3 windows 7 crashes when it opens
                        David TIU Level 1

lab84

Thanks for correcting me, a Win7 newbie...I just think they renamed the D&S folder to Users...

Anyway, there is no Everyone in the permission list and I added the list permission for everyone to AppData folder...

And the Reader works correctly!!!???

More interesting is that...I then removed the added permissions and the Reader still work!!!

I have tried delete the files in the Adobe Cache folder and started the Reader again, then a prompt to ask for collecting user experience appeared and the deleted file is recreated.  The timing seems exactly the crash used to occur...What could this mean???

Anyway, thank you again!

• 9. Re: reader 9.3 windows 7 crashes when it opens
                          pwillener Level 8

lab84 wrote:

The folder that needs to be modified is actually C:\Documents and Settings\<username> not C:\Users\<username>

Best always use the environment variable %USERPROFILE% - this will always point to your user profile folder, no matter what Windows version.  (Type %userprofile% into Windows Explorer's address bar, and it will take you there.)