10 Replies Latest reply on Nov 5, 2012 7:31 AM by antonhy511

Code Hinting Bug in CS5

Rothrock Level 5

For some reason I don't get code hinting when trying to code in a FLA. (Nor in an as file.)

I had seen a few reports of this problem, but folks seemed to resolve them by saving or putting their .as files in the same folder. But I'm not using .as files.

I did experience the problem when I first got CS5. And I saw a little warning in the lower corner of the AS panel that Flash was still building a cache. And when I saved that file I suddenly got hinting.

This time I hadn't saved and thought, "Oh, yeah I need to save." But that didn't work either.

I'm using CS5 on a Mac running 10.6.3. I still do have CS4 installed.

• 1. Re: Code Hinting Bug in CS5
          Rothrock Level 5

So everybody else is getting code hinting in their copies of CS5?

• 2. Re: Code Hinting Bug in CS5
            c0j

try creating a new User Profile. That worked for me.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Code Hinting Bug in CS5
              Rothrock Level 5

Not sure exactly what that is. Can you explain?

• 4. Re: Code Hinting Bug in CS5
                c0j Level 1

Your Mac (like Windows) allowed to have multiple user accounts. Basically creating a new User Account will be similar to having a fresh install of your OS X.

You can refer to this Apple Help Document link: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?path=Mac/10.6/en/8235.html

• 5. Re: Code Hinting Bug in CS5
                  Rothrock Level 5

Ah I thought you were talking about something within Flash.

I logged into a different account and it seemed to work. But I have seen it working in my current account once or twice before it stopped.

This isn't a very practical solution. I have a lot of files and applications and settings, etc. and setting all that up would be an insane hassle.

Anybody else have any ideas?

• 6. Re: Code Hinting Bug in CS5
                    c0j Level 1

Try running Repair Disc Permission

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1452

• 7. Re: Code Hinting Bug in CS5
                      nrajbhan

Hi,

What folder do you save your files in?  Does it help if you save to a different location?  The current working directory is part of the default classpath settings, so if you save your FLA on the Desktop, that can cause the code-hinting cache creation to fail since you might have lots of other files/folders on your Desktop too.

Do you commonly use other class libraries like PaperVision, gTween, as3corelib, etc.?  If so, how many classes are in your classpath?  Do you see a little icon in the script editing pane's status bar (at the bottom-right)?  If so, you might want to try increasing your code-hinting class limit - http://theflashblog.com/?p=2002.

If neither of the above scenarios applies to you, please try resetting your code-hint cache as follows:

1. Quit Flash

2. Delete your code-hint cache folder

Win XP:

C:\Documents and Settings\<user>\Local Settings\Application Data\Adobe\Flash CS5\<language>\Configuration\CodeModel

Win Vista/Win7:

C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\Adobe\Flash CS5\<language>\Configuration\CodeModel

Mac:

/Users/<user>/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Flash CS5/<language>/Configuration/CodeModel

3. Re-start Flash and try again.

HTH,
                      Nivesh

• 8. Re: Code Hinting Bug in CS5
                        Rothrock Level 5

Thanks Nivesh. I had found Lee Brimlow's tip on upping the code-hinting limit. But I'm not using any other class libraries (or even my own at this point). So I don't think that is most likely it.

But deleting thing code-hint cache folder did it!

Thanks.

• 9. Re: Code Hinting Bug in CS5
                          skerr09 Level 1

Gone in mine too. deleted the cache, but still not working.

• 10. Re: Code Hinting Bug in CS5
                            antonhy511

Code hints is unable to build code hints cache

One of the new cool features in Adobe Flash Authoring CS5 is custom code hints introspection. Using this feature some of you might encounter the bug when code hints is unable to build code hints cache. A file cap was put in place to prevent the code hinting mechanism from churning in the background for files saved on the desktop or in the root directory. It will try to parse all surroundings files which could take quite a bit of time and would hold up getting back any code hinting information. Therefore, a default file cap of 800 files was put into place. However, you can change this value by adding a preference key as follows :

This tip is only for advance users who are comfortable changing registry keys.

Windows:
                            1. Open Regedit and navigate to: HKEY_CURRENT_USER > Software > Adobe > Flash 11 > Settings
                            2. Right+click and choose: ‘New… > DWORD Value’
                            3. Rename the key: Project File Cap
                            4. Select the key and choose: ‘Modify’
                            5. Edit the value as either hex or decimal: 1000
                            6. Click OK and restart Flash

Mac:
                            1. Open ‘/Users//Library/Preferences/Flash CS5 Preferences’ in Text Edit
                            2. Under the section add the following: 1000
                            3. Save the file and restart Flash