3 Replies Latest reply on May 22, 2010 11:40 AM by Ben M

Newbee simple question about standard templates

jrphoto22

Hi, sorry for what may be a simple question.  I am using Dreamweaver CS4 and starting from one of the shipped HTML templates (one elastic column with a header and footer), but I get an un editable white space (one line)  above and below the body.  How do I get rid of it.

Thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: Newbee simple question about standard templates
          Ben M Adobe Community Professional

You will need to post either a link to the page in question or the HTML & CSS from the document.  Usually it is caused by padding or margins, but it is hard to determine without seeing the page.

• 2. Re: Newbee simple question about standard templates
            jrphoto22 Level 1

Thanks for the quick response. Yes sorry, here is a link to a page that was generated from one of standard templates - http://jrphoto22.home.comcast.net/~jrphoto22/test.html . All I did was load the standard template, make the the main content div a green color to show the white space better and make that area editable and save it as a template.  Then I created the test page from that new template which is what I have attached.  I keep getting a white space above and below the main content (the same thing shows up in the template).  I have check all the padding and margin setting and none of those seem to touch the vertical elements.

Thanks fo any help

• 3. Re: Newbee simple question about standard templates
              Ben M Adobe Community Professional

Wow that is a really pesky problem.  I did a quick Google search and came up with hundreds of people posting the same thing.  Many suggest doing: * {margin: 0; padding: 0;} in the beginning of the CSS on that document but it's really not a good idea because that then collapses all of the content.  And now looking at CS5 (I'm running both still just in case bugs existed), and the template has been completely re-written from the ground up.

One shortcut you could use is to change the background color of the container to match the background color of your maincontent.  Then the gap would match the color.

In short what is happening is that your h1 and p tags both have inherit margins that the old DW template was never taking into consideration.  Because of those inherit margins, the space is created.  The white you are seeing is defined by the container.