8 Replies Latest reply on May 26, 2010 8:24 AM by LaciG

How to play NTSC .ISO file on PAL DVD player?

LaciG Level 1

This is probably not a typical issue but someone might have a solution. I created a 3.5 GB NTSC family movie that Nero burned only as an ISO file to a DVD disk and I sent it to Europe. Their reply: Their DVD players can't play ISO file. They converted it to a VOB file that could be played on a computer. Is this Nero's problem? What format does the commercial (long) DVDs have? I would appreciate any help with this. Thank you, Laci.

• 1. Re: How to play NTSC .ISO file on PAL DVD player?
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I don't use Nero so have no idea what you told it to do... but ISO is an "image" not a playable movie

Use the FREE http://www.imgburn.com/ to burn the "contents" of that ISO to DVD as a movie

• 2. Re: How to play NTSC .ISO file on PAL DVD player?
            the_wine_snob Level 9

As John T. mentions, an ISO is an "image" file and must be "mounted" by specialized software, to play it.

Instead, you will want to write a VIDEO_TS folder with the proper DVD-Video IFO, BUP and VOB files. This can be done from within PrE, with Burn to Folder. Then, one can use various burning utilities, like the aforementioned ImgBurn, to do the physical burn.

There are uses for ISO files, but for general playback on a set-top DVD player, hooked to a TV, or via DVD software player programs on a computer, they are usually NOT the way to go.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: How to play NTSC .ISO file on PAL DVD player?
              LaciG Level 1

Bill, John, Thanks for the reply. I know that ISO is an image file but I was confused by Nero. I chose the  "DVD Image" option in the "Building the finished project" chapter in Adobe ENCORE DVD2.0 (p.258) and used Nero's "Disk Image, or Saved Project" option. I am sorry that I didn't post a comment, because right after that I tried the "DVD Disk" option from ENCORE and it worked perfectly. It wrote (directly to a disk) the IFO, BUP and VOB files in the a VIDEO_TS folder as you said). Thanks again, and I will experiment a bit longer before I place a question next time, Laci.

• 4. Re: How to play NTSC .ISO file on PAL DVD player?
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Glad that you got it sorted.

The two most useful choices, IMHO, are Burn to Disc (actual, physical Burn to a blank disc), and Burn to Folder, for use by a burning utility. ISO files are a bit different, and as mentioned, not THAT universal. There are time to use them, and ImgBurn can translate those to the VIDEO_TS folder, if need be.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: How to play NTSC .ISO file on PAL DVD player?
                  Gonzchi Level 1

Also, DVDs discs/players in Europe are region 2 and PAL.

Since you are doing your own DVD, make sure you make it region 0 (ALL), playable in all the world regions.

Also, if you are sending to Europe, you should make it PAL.  (Although many if not most modern DVD players will read both PAL & NTSC discs and modulate in the correct output video system when viewing)  - as long as the region coding allows to play it, of course -

Gonza

• 6. Re: How to play NTSC .ISO file on PAL DVD player?
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

I believe that all DVD's produced by PrE will be Region 0. I do not even think that it offers the option to set Regions, as it does not do a Master to DLT, for replication, where Regions can be set. Even Adobe Encore cannot set Regions for any burned DVD - only when one goes to DLT for Mastering by a replication house. If one tries to set Regions for a burned DVD, it usually results in a program crash. Same for Copy Protection, which can only be applied during replication.

I have also found that most newer PAL DVD decks handle NTSC discs just fine. Unfortunately, the reverse is not true, here in NTSC-land.

Hunt

• 7. Re: How to play NTSC .ISO file on PAL DVD player?
                      LaciG Level 1

Bill, Gonza, Thanks as always! Just to a bit more on my story: I have been 'burning' PrE projects to folders and burning them from the folder to disk with Nero for the last several years. These DVD disks could be played perfectly on PAL systems in Europe by friends/relatives on their (relatively) new systems, as Bill also explained. My problems arouse when started using ENCORE recently and took ENCORE's comment (on p. 258) seriously that I should not use the 'DVD folder' option. ('Do not make a DVD folder and then burn that DVD - DVDs burned in this manner won't function as expected. Use DVD Disc to burn a disk.') I still didn't want to burn directly to the disk, so I used the 'DVD Image' option in ENCORE the resulted in an ISO file. When I wanted to burn this file with Nero to a disk the usual way, Nero directed me to use Nero's DVD-ROM (UDF) burn mode to burn files larger than 2 GB. I did it, and it worked just fine here on both the PC and my DVD player, but didn't in Europe. So, I am using the 'DVD Disk' option in ENCORE and it should work in Europe (I will know it for sure if it works on their DVD players in one or two weeks when they receive the disk). Just one more comment: I started using the 'burn to a file first' with PrE several years ago, when PrE didn't want to burn directly for me (probably for several reasons). Also, those days, my 7 year old burner wasn't very reliable, and I had to restart the whole DVD building a few time (in the middle of night). Now, with a new optical drive and ENCORE, everything just works fine. I feel I owed this explanation (), and thank you again for your help, Laci.

• 8. Re: How to play NTSC .ISO file on PAL DVD player?
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

The DVD-ROM option will usually work, as you noted. I would guess that it just not a compatible product for the Euro-players that your clients have. I do not know exactly what PAL players are certified for (being in NTSC-land myself). For NTSC playability, some prefer the ISO DVD-ROM option. Personally, I do not use that, and have never had any playability issues - to date, that is. For playback on a computer, some users have had issues getting the ISO files to "mount." I would assume that Nero and Roxio have mounting utilities, and also playback utilities, but do not know that as a fact, as I only have certain elements of Nero installed on any of my machines.

As for Burn to Folder (creating the necessary component files in the VIDEO_TS folder), I usually use either Gear DVD, or ImgBurn to do the physical burn to disc. For most burning operations, I just use Encore to do the Burn to Disc, and then test those (always Verbatim, or Taiyo Yuden) in an array of set-top players, and a couple of computer multi-drives. I have never had one return of any disc, so far.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful