9 Replies Latest reply on May 25, 2010 8:05 PM by the_wine_snob

Constant crashing very frustrated for amateur

mrl2

I am new to video editing, but not a stranger to Adobe photo editing products, including Photoshop and Lightroom, which I use, to a greater or lesser extent, without problem.  I have a 4-month old computer, running Windows 7, with 9gb of RAM.  I have updated to Premiere Elements 8.1 (although the splash screen insists on telling me to do it again).  I have the most recent drivers.  And the program constantly crashes.  I have experienced occasional crashes with other programs, of course, but here it seems to be the default behavior.

I have read the suggestions in the forum.  I am not computer-savvy enough to try them all, nor do I have much interest in doing so in order to use what I assumed would be a consumer (amateur)-level product.  I find it very frustrating to have to waste as much time as I have and to lose edits -- constantly.

However, I'm not ready to give up, now that I've taken the time to learn how to do basic stuff (and I'm not aware of any other product out there that would be as learnable).  So my question is whether there's some easy fix that I'm missing.  For example, I saw somewhere on the Internet that someone suggested putting the video files on an external drive.  I'm not savvy enough to know why that would matter, but if it would, I'm all for it.

Any ideas?

If it matters, I've been trying to edit a one-hour long video consisting of an old VCR tape that I've put into digital format using Roxio hardware and software.  My crashes come at all points (although no longer at the startup of the program -- I used to get them then until I unchecked some box that someone suggested I uncheck).

Thanks for any suggestions.

• 1. Re: Constant crashing very frustrated for amateur
          mrl2 Level 1

Oops.  Title should say "very frustrating."

• 2. Re: Constant crashing very frustrated for amateur
            John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

This is aimed at Premiere Pro, but may help
            A link with many ideas about computer setup http://forums.adobe.com/thread/436215?tstart=0

Work through all of the steps (ideas) listed at http://ppro.wikia.com/wiki/Troubleshooting

If your problem isn't fixed after you follow all of the steps, report back with ALL OF THE DETAILS asked for in the FINALLY section, the questions at the end of the troubleshooting link... most especially the codec used... see Question 1

• 3. Re: Constant crashing very frustrated for amateur
              Paul787 Level 3

Sorry to hear about your difficulties. I use an earlier version of Premiere Elements so I can't help you troubleshoot that but I did have some questions about your method of capturing video.

Are you using something like Roxio's easyVHStoDVD to capture your video? If the Roxio hardware is a USB device is doesn't capture in the best format for video editing. I used Roxio hardware to capture some analog tapes and the quality was so-so and it didn't work well in Premiere Elements. If your computer has a Firewire connection you would be better off using a Firewire Analog to Digital capture device such as an ADS Pyro or Canopus device. I switched to an ADS Pyro device and my editing has worked flawlessly since then. Hopefully you have more then one VHS to convert though.

Keep us posted on how things are (hopefully) progressing.

• 4. Re: Constant crashing very frustrated for amateur
                Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

I would say that your problem is related to your using Roxio hardware and software to capture your video then Premiere Elements to edit. Usually, if you're using hardware, other than a standard DV bridge (see the FAQs to the right of this forum), to capture your video, you need to use that software that came with it to edit. This is because many capture cards and devices capture to a format that only their software to work with.

What type of camcorder is your video coming from? We may be able to suggest to way to capture to a more standardized format that Premiere Elements can work with.

• 5. Re: Constant crashing very frustrated for amateur
                  mrl2 Level 1

Thank you all for your responses.  I am indeed using RoxioVHS to DVD hardware and software.  I'm afraid I've lost track of what camcorder I used (as these are 22-year-old tapes and the camcorder is long gone).  For what it's worth, I'm not unhappy with the quality of the video -- some of it is pretty grainy, but it was recorded 22 years ago with 22-year-old technology and often in low light -- nor am I unhappy with the features of Premiere Elements.  To the contrary, when I finally finished a DVD, I was very pleased with how it looked, for a first effort.  My only issue has been with the crashing.

Meanwhile, I will try the suggestions.  I appreciate the prompt input.

• 6. Re: Constant crashing very frustrated for amateur
                    Paul787 Level 3

I'm glad to hear you successfully burnt a DVD. I was so excited when I burnt my first one but it took a lot of work to get there. While your issues are different then what I experienced when starting with video editing, stick around as I'm sure you'll get things worked out.

This link to Muvipix offers some straightforward suggestions on optimizing Premiere Elements 8.

http://muvipix.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=81&t=6690

• 7. Re: Constant crashing very frustrated for amateur
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Glad to hear that much is working fine.

Let's go back to the Roxio created files. Can you tell us all about those? It is likely that they are something like AVI, or MPEG, but that will only tell us the "container," or "wrapper," that the file is enclosed in. The great, free utility, G-SPOT, will give you full details of those Roxio files. Probably the easiest way to tell us those details, would be to run one of the Roxio files through G-Spot and then attach a screen-cap of its screen (use the little "camera" icon in the lower-middle of the forum editing screen).

It could be as simple as choosing another setting for the digitizing in Roxio, or perhaps another Project Preset, or maybe a conversion to a better format/CODEC.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: Constant crashing very frustrated for amateur
                        mrl2 Level 1

Thanks, Bill.  I tried your suggestion.  Here's what I came up with.  Is this readable?  If not, I can type whatever can't be read.  Thanks.

Screenshot from GSpot.png

• 9. Re: Constant crashing very frustrated for amateur
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Only thing that I noticed was the 8:9 Aspect Ratio (with the PAR) vs 4:3.

Not sure why that difference.

Good luck,

Hunt