21 Replies Latest reply on Jun 2, 2010 9:28 AM by the_wine_snob

Expoting

givingupusa Level 1

I've exported many projects and for some unknown reason I can not

get my latest project exported and encoded.  My project is over an hour long and my clips include still pictures, quick video clips from my digital camera, music and a slide show at the end of my video. My video was captured with my Canon HDV cam corder.  I uninstalled my CS4 Pro software and re-installed it. It has been taking over 6 hours to encode and I get 3 seconds of video. Help!

• 1. Re: Expoting
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Some suggestions... and answer at least the 16 questions at the end of the Wiki article.

• 2. Re: Expoting
            givingupusa Level 1

Harm, where would I find this Wiki article?

• 3. Re: Expoting
              Harm Millaard Level 7

Click on the links.

• 4. Re: Exporting
                givingupusa Level 1

Since I last wrote, I've been reading about exporting and encoding.  I seem to be doing everything right (as I

used to). I've done Meg2 dvd and this time I did Quick time. I think I have a lot of stuff in my project.  The last message said my disk was full. I didn't use a disk. I had the yellow check mark. The encoding before that one took, as I had the green check mark, however I did not have any sound.  I had sound before I exported it.  I have been reading everything on exporting and encoding and I appear to be doing everything right.

• 5. Re: Exporting
                  Harm Millaard Level 7

Apparently not.

Answers to the questions?

• 6. Re: Exporting
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

If you are ONLY getting Video (no Audio) with your Export, there are two places to check first:

1.) in your Export settings, make sure that both Audio & Video are checked

2.) in your Multiplexing tab, make sure that None is NOT checked. I would anticipate that you would have both a None, and a DVD setting in the Multiplexing tab. Choose DVD, or whatever else is available, except for None.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Exporting
                      givingupusa Level 1

Hunt, regarding # 1.

Those were ok.  #2. where is the multiplexing tab????  I'm a novice still

• 8. Re: Exporting
                        givingupusa Level 1

I found multiplexing.  "None" was checked.  I unchecked it.  Wish me luck

• 9. Re: Exporting
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

This has tripped up many new users. It is often overlooked, and will result in elemental/elementary streams, i.e. one Video-only stream and one Audio-only stream. To get them muxed (Multiplexed), one needs to take that next step. There ought to be a big "pointer" to make sure that it is also appropriately checked, as many think they have covered all bases - they have, save for one.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 10. Re: Exporting
                            givingupusa Level 1

Could you explaine in another way why we should deselect "none" again under multiplex.  Is this something I should do for EVERY project I export with every format? I got my audio back doing this. I just had to recode again 'cause I had the black borders around my video and so I chose the widescreen this time.  Thank you so much for this advice!

• 11. Re: Exporting
                              Harm Millaard Level 7

1. Elementary streams are the preferred way for Encore and usually cause fewer problems than a muxed stream.

2. When using elementary streams, it is much quicker to make adjustments to either video or audio and only encode the video or audio stream again with the corrections and leaving the other stream intact.

• 12. Re: Exporting
                                the_wine_snob Level 9

Harm just said it better than I could have.

As most of my Projects go to Encore for DVD authoring, I do similar: DV-AVI Type II Video-only, and then DD 5.1 SS (SurCode plug-in encoder - optional) for DVD-compliant AC3. I Import the DV-AVI Video-only as a Timeline in Encore, and the AC3 as an Asset. I just drag the Audio-only file to the appropriate Timeline. Done.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 13. Re: Exporting
                                  givingupusa Level 1

Would you give me an example of an elemetary streams?  Should I deselect the "none" all the time when preparing for encoding?

• 14. Re: Exporting
                                    givingupusa Level 1

What is an AC3?

• 15. Re: Exporting
                                      the_wine_snob Level 9

The elemental/elementary streams are Video-only in one file, and Audio-only in another, separate file. Multiplexing combines the two streams (Audio & Video) into one file. If one is Exporting with the intent of distributing the file for playback on a computer, then they WOULD want a muxed file, i.e. both streams into one file. Otherwise, having the individual streams works better for certain workflows, like going to Encore.

As of CS2 Production Studio, and especially CS3 and above, one could use Adobe Dynamic Link (ADL) to get the PrPro Sequence into Encore, without the Export stage. However, even if I had CS5, I would still be relegated to use non-muxed Exports, as I work in DD 5.1 SS and that will NOT go through ADL.

In the end, it is all about one's workflow, and intended delivery scheme.

Good luck, and hope that helps,

Hunt

• 16. Re: Exporting
                                        the_wine_snob Level 9

AC3 is a variation on MPEG Audio, licensed from Dolby Labs. It is one of the two allowed Audio formats for DVD/BD in NTSC-land. MPEG Audio (not the AC3 version) is only optional for PAL DVD's, and is falling out of favor.

For me, AC3 allows me to encode DD 5.1 SS Audio. I access this via Adobe Media Encoder (AME), and the MPEG settings, but choose the SurCode plug-in encoder to get the DD 5.1 SS.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 17. Re: Expoting
                                          givingupusa Level 1

Sorry if I sound "stupid". I'm not familiar with any of the encoding language you and Harm talk about.  I just go and click on this and click on that not understanding the "behind the scenes" of why to use them. My tutor taught me that way.  It's been a year now that I am fending for myself with the help of you two guys.  I appreciate the both of you.

• 18. Re: Expoting
                                            Harm Millaard Level 7

Sorry to disagree with your tutor. I think it helps tremendously if you know and understand what you are doing.

• 19. Re: Expoting
                                              the_wine_snob Level 9

If one always has the exact same delivery scheme, then one does not really have to "get their hands dirty" with the details. However, when something new crops up, those details can become very important.

Most of my Projects go to DVD-Video through Encore (Adobe's DVD/BD authoring program), so I do things pretty much "by the numbers," but do have to Export for other needs, so try to keep up with all the other options. This forum is great for that, as so many users do have to be expert in many delivery formats and CODEC's.

Though I work in SD Projects, I do a lot of reading here on HD schemes, just getting myself ready for what I will be changing over to. People, such as Harm, have been invaluable to me.

One starting point for you might be the links in this ARTICLE. CODEC's are the building blocks of AV files, and a general understanding of them is very important.

Good luck, and do not hesitate to ask questions here on Export settings. They can be confusing at first, but learning a bit about them will help you proceed.

Hunt

• 20. Re: Expoting
                                                givingupusa Level 1

Bill,

Should I always deselect "none" whenever I'm want my projects encoded from now on?

• 21. Re: Expoting
                                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

The Multiplexing settings determine whether you will get an AV file with both an Audio and a Video stream, two files, or just one stream. Basically, if you are doing JUST Export Audio, or Export Video, Multiplexing will have NO effect, but I choose None, as that is what we want. Maybe that is like wearing both a belt and braces?

If you want a separate Audio file and a Video file (pretty common), you would check both, but keep Multiplexing to None - and you get two files.

If you want one file with both streams, Audio and Video, you would check both, then go to Multiplexing and choose something besides None, like DVD, or similar - and you get one file with both streams, muxed.

Hope that helps,

Hunt

[Edit] One consideration would be if you were doing a Video-only Export, with Export Audio unchecked, and had Multiplexing set to DVD, though you do not Export any Audio, not sure if you might not get a "silent" muxed Audio stream in a muxed file. Maybe others can tell you exactly on this configuration. If I wanted Video-only, I would not want a silent Audio stream, under any circumstances. Selecting None should make sure that that would never happen. Just thinking here.

Message was edited by: Bill Hunt - Added [Edit]