6 Replies Latest reply on May 24, 2010 8:52 AM by kdoc2

Scratchdisk

kdoc2 Level 1

With these faster computers (I have an HP Pavilion, Raid 0, Intel 930 quadcore, 8 GB RAM,  280 GHz, etc, but only the two drives of Raid 0. How important would it be to have another drive for the scratch, say an 800 firewire? Things seem to run very smoothly. If you did put a firewire in, would you use if for Scratchdisk? What about for Source Media?

kdoc

• 1. Re: Scratchdisk
          Harm Millaard Level 7

You have a strange configuration.

An i7-930 with 8 GB of memory? That is weird to say the least. And a raid0 for a boot disk? That is a bad choice.

An extra disk would be very welcome, but only a SATA disk, not an external firewire disk.

• 2. Re: Scratchdisk
            kdoc2 Level 1

Well, I did agonize over which computer: This one has been working fine, for both Pr Pro and Photoshop, including with those two and MS Office open, etc. What I discovered was that for the price (about $1200) none of the  main computer makers will give you 3 drives (two for the Raid 0, and one for the OS) and put the OS on the non Raid drive. I found that very frustrating. I'm also in 64 bits now.

So, with what I've got, so far, it's generally working very, very well.  Very smooth with CS5 (don't forget, this new Engine is terrific). But that may change in the future as I push the needs further. Soif I were to add an external drive, SATA on your suggestion, would you then put the Scratch Disk and the Media on it?

kdoc

• 4. Re: Scratchdisk
              kdoc2 Level 1

Yeh, I read it, but it isn't what I have. So, is there anyting I could do, if it becomes necessary--it isn't currently--with an 800 drive (or is it possible to have an external drive that helps that is SATA (I'm not a computer expert). You do mention 800 in your suggested reading, but you don't say how well or poorly that would work, or whether it just really isn't worth adding--and if you did add it, which things would you put on it?

kdoc

• 5. Re: Scratchdisk
                Harm Millaard Level 7

As a rule of thumb, a SATA or eSATA disk is about twice as fast as a FW800 disk.

• 6. Re: Scratchdisk
                  kdoc2 Level 1

My questions then continue to be: 1. is there something as a  SATA or eSATA external drive (I lose my warranty if I put it internal)? and 2. Given the slower speed of an 800, would you guess it was better to use it or to use only the two Raid 0 drives? 3. And if you did use it, what parts of the process would you put on it: Scratch, Media , etc?

kdoc