7 Replies Latest reply on May 24, 2010 1:29 PM by A.T. Romano

Hanging on launch

daithio

(Sorry for double posting but, in error, I used a defunct e-mail on the first post)

Running Premiere Elements 8 on  Windows 7 32-bit. with driver 197.45 (I'm using an NVIDIA card)
      Everything  working fine until yesterday when I captured a large avi (13GB). At the  end of the capture, an error screen flashed up too fast for me to read  and Premiere exited. Since than, Premier will not launch. It gets as far  as the load sequence "Loading Windows Media" and just hangs.
      I  uninstalled and reinstalled, reloaded the driver 1975 but still nod  launching. Organizer works ok but can't launch Premiere from inside  Organizer. I deleted the project from the disk, still no fix.
      Any  suggestions appreciated. I'm on a deadline :-(
      Thanks.

David

• 1. Re: Hanging on launch
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

How much free, defragmented space is on  your C drive?

Premiere Elements usually needs between 20 and 30 gigs free on the C drive in order to open and operate.

Also, was that AVI file captured by Premiere Elements over FireWire from a miniDV camcorder?

• 2. Re: Hanging on launch
            daithio Level 1

670 GB free on C:\

Should have mentioned, I defraged before reinstalling.

Yes, I captured from a DV camcorder over firewire

• 3. Re: Hanging on launch
              nealeh Level 5

Try renaming the folder in which you stored the 13GB file. I recently had a problem in PRE7 with importing some VOB files (I was experimenting) and got a similar problem. Renaming the folder caused PRE to show the clip as offline and it could then be deleted from the organiser and all was well.

Cheers,
              --
              Neale
              Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 4. Re: Hanging on launch
                daithio Level 1

Thanks but that doesn't seem to fix it.

One other thing: When the capture completed PRE8 began analyzing the clip. I cancelled the analysis and I can't remember if it crashed during that session or the next session would not load.

I assumed I had damaged the clip and PRE could not load it. That's why I deleted the whole project (from Win Explorer), uninstalled and reinstalled with the upgrade (like a new beginning).

Maybe there is a settings file remaining after the uninstall that kicks in for the new install and continues looking for a bad file. Just guessing.

I tried launching with Adobe Premiere Elements.exe (as opposed to Adobe Premiere Elements 8.0.exe) as recommended in other posts but the app does not launch

• 5. Re: Hanging on launch
                  Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Just to make sure we've covered all of the bases, are you working with a project on your C drive or on a second drive?

If a second drive, have you ensured that the drive is formatted NTFS? (A FAT32 drive will have a file size limitation that can certainly choke a file like this.)

• 6. Re: Hanging on launch
                    David 999

I had a similar issue with two other Adobe products (Acrobat and Framemaker) in the past (hanging on launch) so I implemented the same workaround: In the past I created another user and reinstalled in the new account and all was okay. This time with PRE8, I already had another user account created when I installed to all users. Launching from the other user works fine (though I had to re-capture the clip).It's a workaround not a solution but it gets me going again.

It looks like the PRE settings file (or something like that) lost the user account identity in the first account.

Thanks for all input. Case closed.

Daithio or David999

• 7. Re: Hanging on launch
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

daithio

Do a mini check list

a. Using Premiere Elements 8.0.1 Update (Patch)

b. Background Rendering disabled (Premiere Elements workspace, Edit Menu/Preferences/General)

c. AutoAnalyzer Feature disabled. If DV capture, Capture Window AutoAnalyzer option unchecked. In Elements Organizer workspace, Edit Menu/Preferences/AutoAnalyzer Options, uncheck ALL options.

d. Where are the Scratch Files directed, supplemental hard drive or Local C driver? Check for free space on hard drive space? How much available RAM does your computer have when you are running Premiere Elements 8.0 or 8.0.1? If not mentioned previously, defragment computer.

ATR