13 Replies Latest reply on Jun 3, 2010 12:01 AM by pixelwerk

Problems with PB on new MacBook Pro

pixelwerk

Hello, I have been running Pixelbender 1.5.1 on a 4 year old MacBook Pro with ATI Radeon X1600 GPU, rendering up to 4000 x 4000 pixel images without any problems ever.

I just got a new MacBook Pro with NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M and now I get lots of artifacts and half-ready images from PB.

Does anybody know if this is a known issue and maybe fixed in Pixel bender 2.0?

Regards

Johan

• 1. Re: Problems with PB on new MacBook Pro
          Kevin Goldsmith Level 3

I'm using that exact configuration right now, I'll check both versions and see if I can repro.

I'm assuming that you are running 10.6.3, right?

Kevin

• 2. Re: Problems with PB on new MacBook Pro
            Kevin Goldsmith Level 3

I just generated a 4k x 4k image in Photoshop and tried a couple of the built-in filters on it using Toolkit 1.5.1 on a new MBP with a GT 330M, running 10.6.3 and wasn't able to repro the issue. Could you send me a kernel and an image that you are using that can repro the bug? If you are seeing this on a specific kernel, then it might be an OpenGL driver bug that you are seeing... (it is almost certainly an OpenGL driver bug anyway, but maybe we can isolate it).

thanks!

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Problems with PB on new MacBook Pro
              pixelwerk Level 1

Thank for your quick answers Kevin!

Tried to answer yesterday, but the forum was down...

I am on 10.6.3, what I get is a half image with parts of the desktop mixed with the wanted image.

I am using a bit special script, it is Subblues (Toms) Mandelbulb-script:

(It is a 3D-renderer, so there are no image in the input..)

http://www.subblue.com/projects/mandelbulb

I have "tweaked it" because it does not do 4000x4000 pixels as default.

if you cant repro it with that I can send you the exact "tweaked" kernel...

I hope you can isolate the problem, love the script AND the new hardware!

Regards / Johan

• 4. Re: Problems with PB on new MacBook Pro
                T Beddard

I think the script Johan is referring to is a newer version that I haven't yet released on my website.

You can get a 'beta' version of it from my Dropbox:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/149853/Mandelbulb2.pbk

I have found with my fractal raytracing PB scripts that if you push it too hard the GPU will lockup and freeze you out of your system. I've seen this on two generations of iMac (24" with NVIDIA 8800 GPU and 27" with AMD Radeon HD 4850).

Kevin: On a side note, are there any plans to support parameter grouping so they can be collapsed into panels like other After Effects scripts? After trying the script you will understand why this would be useful as there are rather a lot of parameters to play with!

Tom

• 5. Re: Problems with PB on new MacBook Pro
                  pixelwerk Level 1

You are right Tom, but I actually have this problem with both the new and old versions... Just to be clear. :/

AND, yes, the script freezes the computer, thought this was normal though

• 6. Re: Problems with PB on new MacBook Pro
                    Kevin Goldsmith Level 3

thanks for the pointers, I'll try it out when I get a few minutes.

GPUs have some built-in time-outs set by the operating system because they are a shared resource. This prevents you from locking them up so that the OS can't draw and gaurds against renegade shaders. We have some code in the next version of the toolkit that tries to detect this occurance and warn you, but unfortunately, there isn't a lot we can do about it when that happens.

The original proposal I did on the Parameter Metadata Hinting had a way to do some simple grouping of parameters, but it got dropped because we had a hard time making work in a consistent and simple way. I will look into adding it to a future version of the Pixel Bender SDK.

1 person found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: Problems with PB on new MacBook Pro
                      pixelwerk Level 1

Hmmm, that doesn't sound too hopeful?

Would it be possible to do some kind of a hack of the OS so it doesn't do these time-outs?

Thanks for your efforts anyway Kevin!

• 8. Re: Problems with PB on new MacBook Pro
                        pixelwerk Level 1

I just wanted to ad a strange thing, if I try several times with the exact same settings, SOMETIMES it works, sometimes i get "broken" images and in worst case, total hangup with the whole screen full of jerky graphics.

Regards

J

• 9. Re: Problems with PB on new MacBook Pro
                          pixelwerk Level 1

Hello again, just some additional info.

I found this today:

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/08/11/26/apple_investigating_graphics_issues_on_new_m acbook_lines.html

Could this be related to "my" problem?

I also have problems with "stiching" many big images into panoramas in Photoshop CS4 on this machine, My 4 year old macbook pro can do it, but with the same task on this machine it just states that it is out of RAM, even if it has 4GB, 1GB more than my old machine...

I know I should probably adress this to Apple, but I don't know where to do it.

Regards

Johan

• 10. Re: Problems with PB on new MacBook Pro
                            T Beddard Level 1

Hi Johan

That article was from 2008 so think it will have been fixed by now. Your best bet would be to post a message in the apple support forums.

Also, have you tried the new Abobe CS5? You can download a 30 day demo and install it alongside your current photoshop. CS5 has the new version of the Pixelbender Toolkit, although there still isn't a Photoshop cs5 plugin for it yet.

Tom

Tom Beddard

www.subblue.com

Twitter: subblue

• 11. Re: Problems with PB on new MacBook Pro
                              pixelwerk Level 1

Sorry about the old article, I just read "Published: 03:00 PM EST"... *blush*

I will have a go with the CS5  version!

Thanks Tom!

• 12. Re: Problems with PB on new MacBook Pro
                                Kevin Goldsmith Level 3

yeah, I was just able to repro this on a new i7 MBP running 10.6.3 and toolkit 2.0 with mandlebulb at 4096x4096

This is definitely the shader overtaxing the GPU. since OSX uses the GPU for compositing, that is why you see goofy stuff outside the window. Unfortunately, there isn't a ton we can do about it, except let you know when it is happening (which we should have a fix for in the next version for windows). There aren't good OS hooks for us to detect when this happens on macintosh like there are on windows. We'll file a bug with an Apple and see if we can get them to do us a solid.

• 13. Re: Problems with PB on new MacBook Pro
                                  pixelwerk Level 1

Thanks for taking your time to check this Kevin.

Glad you could repro it, nothing wrong with my hardware then, good to know!

My hope is in your bug report and Apple then...

Thanks again!

Johan