35 Replies Latest reply on Aug 3, 2012 7:53 PM by azmilt

Dreamweaver CS5 losing FTP details on quit/launch

NeilLewin

Hi there,

I've got a bug that's driving me insane and would love for someone to suggest a solution!

Basically Dreamweaver CS5 has started losing FTP usernames and passwords every time I quit (I'm running Mac OS X latest version)... The other guys in the office get the same on CS4 too.

We think it's a corrupted link between Dreamweaver and Keychain as the passwords are all still there... reimporting the site def does the trick although the details are lost again when I quit.

Any ideas would be awesome... I've submitted a help request to Adobe too but haven't ever heard back from them in the past... fingers crossed as I'm going slowly mad!

Neil

• 1. Re: Dreamweaver CS5 losing FTP details on quit/launch
          jdyeaton

I'm having the same exact issue and I can't find any solutions to this. This is crazy that this would not work right.

• 2. Re: Dreamweaver CS5 losing FTP details on quit/launch
            NeilLewin Level 1

Glad it's not just me... I wonder if they've messed something up during yesterday's update, as another guy in the office just had this yesterday on CS5 for the first time.

Plus I amazingly had a reply back from Adobe saying that trial versions aren't eligible for full support(!) but they pointed to the FTP troubleshooting doc in the help area... not a lot of help there then!!

• 3. Re: Dreamweaver CS5 losing FTP details on quit/launch
              SwedishCanuck

No solution, but just wanted to throw my hat into the ring to say I have been experiencing the same issue with an install of Dreamweaver CS5 I did yesterday. (Mac OS X 10.6, if that counts for anything to the support people.)

• 4. Re: Dreamweaver CS5 losing FTP details on quit/launch
                Frank Staiger

Hey there - we've been having the same problems and repairing the Mac OS X Keychain files (followed by a restart) did fix and restore all our FTP site settings. This has also been discussed in various other forum posts with mixed reviews or outcomes. But I recommend you try the following:

1. Quit Dreamweaver.

2. Launch Keychain Access App.

3. Select Keychain First Aid (Verify then Repair).

4. Restart your Mac.

Hope this helps.

Frank

• 5. Re: Dreamweaver CS5 losing FTP details on quit/launch
                  NeilLewin Level 1

Thanks for that Frank... it's seems to have worked at the moment for me :-)

Strange as both the Verify and Repair steps come up with 'No problems found'!

Will keep an eye on things once I've been through importing all my sites (again!)

Cheers,

Neil

• 6. Re: Dreamweaver CS5 losing FTP details on quit/launch
                    xuorced

Hello,

I got exactly the same problem: my login/password for the FTP  are lost averytime I close the application.

I checked the Keychain: no problem found with both Verify and Repair.

I also reboot my computer, pressing the cmd + S button and make a "fsck -f" (that sometime saved me): the volume is OK.

Do you have any idea of what's happening? Is it a way to solve this problem?

Many thanks for your support...

• 7. Re: Dreamweaver CS5 losing FTP details on quit/launch
                      Frank Staiger Level 1

Hey there - it actually happened to me twice now. But repairing the keychains (with Dreamweaver closed) worked.

You might want to give it another go?

• 8. Re: Dreamweaver CS5 losing FTP details on quit/launch
                        xuorced Level 1

Hi,

I start Dreamweaver, import all my *.ste files. I can connect the servers, so the FTP login/password are OK. I close the application.

I repair the Keychain, start again Dreamweaver. And it's agin impossible to connect: the login/password are lost...

I got Dreamweaver installed on two machine:

- macbook pro, under snow leopard, with the latest updates

- imac, under snow leopard, with the latest updates

Both computer are installed exactly the same way (even user account, password, etc...). I have this problem only on the macbook: everything is running perfectly with my imac!!!

Any idea or suggestion?

Thanks again....

• 9. Re: Dreamweaver CS5 losing FTP details on quit/launch
                          DJosephDesign

This was linked to from my posting of a similar problem: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/681538?tstart=0. My problem is with Version Control login information, not FTP.

I followed the suggested solution, but it did not solve the problem for me. After repairing my keychain and restarting my MacBook Pro (OS X 10.6), Dreamweaver didn't have my username and password saved. I entered them, saved, and then restarted Dreamweaver. Still the same thing.

• 10. Re: Dreamweaver CS5 losing FTP details on quit/launch
                            mlmurrah

I have the same problem with Dreamweaver CS4 on my iMac.  I tried the Keychain procedire, but it found no problems.  I did the repair anyway, and it did not work.

• 11. Re: Dreamweaver CS5 losing FTP details on quit/launch
                              NeilLewin Level 1

Did you restart afterwards - mine didn't find any problems but worked after the restart?

• 12. Re: Dreamweaver CS5 losing FTP details on quit/launch
                                Joe Scarpetta

Same Problem,

Completely clean install of Mac 10.6.4 on my laptop, new HD, 8gig of ram,  all updates, repaired permissions, verified and repaired key chain access, several times, restarted.  No Luck.

Very Frustrated, I have several sites I have to keep re-entering this information for.

Any Suggestions?

Joe

Joe Scarpetta

joe@apphiasolutions.com

http://apphiasolutions.com

• 13. Re: Dreamweaver CS5 losing FTP details on quit/launch
                                  DJosephDesign Level 1

Actually, I did get this working the second time around. The extra step I added was shutting down Dreamweaver, deleting the saved entries from Keychain Access, then repair, then restart, then re-enter my username and password. It worked!

• 14. Re: Dreamweaver CS5 losing FTP details on quit/launch
                                    xuorced Level 1

Hi there,  I did almost the same: uninstall DW, reboot, fsck -fy, reboot, repairing the keychain, install DW, reboot, import *.ste profiles... And the result was exaclty the same!  Finally, I just decide the re-import my profiles everytime I start Dreamweaver. And two days later, I started one more time my Dreamweaver, connect directly to one of my profile, without importing it before, and..... I can connect to my server! i tried with the other one: same result, everything is working fine again.  And I didnt do anything! If anyone can explain this... I hope Adobe can finally fix the boring trouble, because it seems it came very often on the table, also with previous release...  So good luck to you, and thanks for the many tips and tricks given on this forum!

• 15. Re: Dreamweaver CS5 losing FTP details on quit/launch
                                      DJosephDesign Level 1

For me, I think that the key was deleting my existing keychains before I repaired and rebooted.

• 16. Re: Dreamweaver CS5 losing FTP details on quit/launch
                                        mlmurrah Level 1

Success!  I had two problem sites.  I fixed one by reestablishing the site, but that did not work on another.  I fixed the other by following the advice above: quitting Dreamweaver, deleting the stored password from the Keychain, repairing the Keychain, restarting Dreamweaver and re-entering the user name and password worked on one site.

• 17. Re: Dreamweaver CS5 losing FTP details on quit/launch
                                          arfore Level 1

Well, I am glad that some of you have been able to get this fixed, however I have tried everything mentioned in this thread and none of it has helped.  The next thing I am going to try is a complete uninstall of CS5 and see if a new installation will work better.

• 18. Re: Dreamweaver CS5 losing FTP details on quit/launch
                                            glampe

This problem just started happening to me.  Noticed it after the latest update.  I just tried repairing the keychain and crossing my fingers it works.

• 19. Re: Dreamweaver CS5 losing FTP details on quit/launch
                                              Leif

Ah, the keychain verify/repair/restart appears to have fixed the issue.

• 20. Re: Dreamweaver CS5 losing FTP details on quit/launch
                                                Kraloyun

Thanks @Frank. it works for me!

Message was edited by: Kraloyun

• 21. Re: Dreamweaver CS5 losing FTP details on quit/launch
                                                  mattrock1 Level 1

keychain verify followed by repair (though both turned up error free) seems to have worked for me as well. will keep my fingers crossed that it isn't a temporary fix...

thanks for the help! much appreciated, fellers.

• 22. Re: Dreamweaver CS5 losing FTP details on quit/launch
                                                    Dr Ratbite LaRue

Was running Dreamweaver Version 11.0 in trial mode. Was working fine till I tired to install the CS5 11.0.3 Updater. The update failed and after that Dreamweaver would not store any FTP login info. Tried the Keychain fix but that did not work. Also found that DW CS4 on the same machine now had the same problem. Unstalled DW CS5 and reinstalled the version 11.0 trial and all the ftp login info was restored and working. Another half day wasted... thanks adobe.

• 23. Re: Dreamweaver CS5 losing FTP details on quit/launch
                                                      jabyuk

Thank you, thank you, thank you!  This was REALLY, seriously starting to get to me and I couldn't work out how to rectify it.

I quit Dreamweaver, ran Keychain Access first aid tool, manually deleted all entries relating to FTP, restarted my Mac, and now it all works as expected.

• 24. Re: Dreamweaver CS5 losing FTP details on quit/launch
                                                        RickiLeeG

Everything was working like a charm, my site has been up and running for months ... and then I experienced this problem.

Thank you for the work around!

Does anyone know if Adobe is working on a permanent fix for this problem?

Ricki

• 25. Re: Dreamweaver CS5 losing FTP details on quit/launch
                                                          mandrel

All you guys out there with CS3, 4 and 5; it even happens with good "old" Dreamweaver 8. As this is no longer supported I am stuffed regarding a fix.

Have tried deleting the one affected site from Site Manager and then re-creating the cache but login still lost.

Have been using Dreamweaver continuously from Dreamweaver 3 onwards, when part of Macromedia, but got fed up with upgrading with features I didn't use and high cost. I even purchased the Director 7 suite (at the cost of an arm and a leg!).

• 26. Re: Dreamweaver CS5 losing FTP details on quit/launch
                                                            NeilLewin Level 1

Haha yes - we haven't seen an update for Dreamweaver CS4 since it came out, so there's no chance your version would be updated!

Luckily the keychain fix worked for me, but there's a raft of other issues that really should be patched on a £100+ piece of software!

• 27. Re: Dreamweaver CS5 losing FTP details on quit/launch
                                                              Mr. Andersson Level 1

The keychain repair + restart did nothing here.

I deleted the server information and added the server again with another name.

Then I opened Keychain and sorted the list in date order. My latest instance was from yesterday even tho I just made a change with a password involved.

Then I searched for the keychain instance holding the server information and deleted it.

Back to DW and I once more deleted the server information and added it back.

Then I looked in the Keychain app and there it was – a new instance on top in the date order.

So it looks like the keychain repair may work in some cases but in my case the old instance in the keychain could not be written to for some reason. I am guessing that deleting the keychain instance could be a fix without a need to restart the computer. Repair, delete the particular keychain instance, then addthe server info in DW.

My experience was now with Dreamweaver 5.5.

I have seen this password problem for years and years in Dreamweaver.

I use the Keychain for everything else but never have any other problems.

This is getting embarrasing... sorry, it was getting embarrasing in 2009.. now it's 2011.

• 28. Re: Dreamweaver CS5 losing FTP details on quit/launch
                                                                Happy Camper Level 1

Same problem... Dreamweaver CS5 on Lion everything updated and I can't remember the last time that Dreamweaver actually remembered the passwords for any of my sites.  I webmaster about 10 sites so you can imagine how much I like this!  I just tried the Keychain First Aid, restarted, nothing.  Tried it again, nothing.  I have SO many problems with Adobe, but this one is a doozy!  Adobe, what do you do with all those employees besides protect your serial numbers?  It seems that nothing except Photoshop works right anymore.  There is no support for the people that do buy the extremely expensive software!  What's with the interface on CS5 Dreamweaver?  It looks like pre-Windows XP design!  And don't get me going about how you undermined my Flash career by never improving a thing on Flash since Macromedia owned it!  FIX IT!

• 29. Re: Dreamweaver CS5 losing FTP details on quit/launch
                                                                  Mr. Andersson Level 1

Have you tried my tip above?

It works for me on two macs I use.

1. Keychain: first delete the keychain object (search for SiteServer)

2. DW: add the server info and save

3. DW: restart and check if the password is intact

1 person found this helpful
                                                                  • 30. Re: Dreamweaver CS5 losing FTP details on quit/launch
                                                                    Happy Camper Level 1

Excellent, that seems to work, thank you Mr. Andersson!  In Keychain, I searched on Dreamweaver and deleted all those, was wondering why they all said CS3.  I missed your post, thanks again for sending!

• 31. Re: Dreamweaver CS5 losing FTP details on quit/launch
                                                                      Joshtones

I have been having this same issue with my FTP login and password not saving the information and finally had the time to work on solving the problem over the Holidays. The Keychain answer worked but only after I deleted ALL the dreamweaver keychains first.  I also had a couple of CS3 keychains stuck in the system. 

Thanks for the help!  Happy holidays everyone.

Josh

• 32. Re: Dreamweaver CS5 losing FTP details on quit/launch
                                                                        cylus66

I believe that Mr. Anderson has the correct approach.

I noticed on some of my older sites that I had several keychain files for one site.

I experimented with deleting one of them at a time to see if any were good, but I believe that they all became corrupt. I simply deleted all of the dreamweaver keychain files. (it's not obvious which is a DW keychain file, but it's pretty easy to guess. Some of them say siteserver, and others are just an application password with the sites name on it)

Then I went back and entered the log/pass into the site definition, saved, tested, and launched the remote site.

Quite DW

tested again

they all remained their logins

I tested several times and it worked everytime.

• 33. Re: Dreamweaver CS5 losing FTP details on quit/launch
                                                                          Yello L

Glad I found this thread… was going slightly crazy re-inputting logins each time I launched DW CS4. Followed exactly Mr Andersson's instructions and has worked a treat. Thank you.

• 34. Re: Dreamweaver CS5 losing FTP details on quit/launch
                                                                            cazabra Level 1

This is a huge PITA ..

I was fine on a new mac, new cs5 install from april 2012 to june 27, 2012 when I ran a dreamweaver update ..

I was left with 47 site definitions with EMPTY user/pwd combos !

THIS DID ABSOLUTELY NOTHING

1. Quit Dreamweaver.

2. Launch Keychain Access App.

3. Select Keychain First Aid (Verify then Repair).

4. Restart your Mac.

// THIS DID ABSOLUTELY NOTHING

i had to save the login info manually for all sites, from the keychain logins .. then delete them..

Closed DW, rebooted, opened DW and tried adding a site definition,

connect/disconnect to make sure it worked... .. closed DW  .. opened DW ..login INFO MISSING !

What was concerning is that no new logins were appearing in the keychain manager when i would recreate the site definitions.

i even tried creating my own password items in my login keychain, but they would not save 'dreamweaver' when i selected it as an approved application for that password.

3 hours .. i finally uninstalled DW and tried to reinstall it...

got some funky errors about repair items existing but not having been ran.. installation failed

I had to install dreamweaver inside a folder within the Applications folder to finally get it to complete without errors..

at least now it saves my login info .. but I am scared to update DW

We pay hundreds of dollars for this program and expect it to help productivity, not hinder it ..

Fetch, a simple thirty dollar program even has thought far enough ahead to include a toggle option to add to keychain

Screen Shot 2012-07-28 at 1.55.23 AM.png

I guess I am relieved to know it hasn't just happened to me, but based on the amount of time since the first post in even just this thread, I find it quite unacceptable that it is still happening at all.

Adobe ?

-wendy

• 35. Re: Dreamweaver CS5 losing FTP details on quit/launch
                                                                              azmilt

Ditto with me.

DW cs5.5 was working fine until the latest update.

Now it has cleared my usernames and passwords, along with my 2-monitor workspace.

If I enter the user/pw again and save ftp will work, but upon quit it's back to blank fields.

This IS a PITA.

I haven't tried the Keychain trick, but c'mon Adobe, don't you test this?

Thanks

os X 10.6.8 btw.