6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 15, 2010 2:12 PM by mhollis55

What identically replaces CS 5 "Create Web Photo Album"?

Franksr Level 1

I have one web site that is using the Dreamweaver CS4 "Create Web Photo Album", however now that I have upgraded to DW CS5, "Create Web Photo Album" is no longer available.  I know you can use Bridge but I need an identical layout of the photo album that was in CS4 to match the others.  Any ideas here?

• 1. Re: What identically replaces CS 5 "Create Web Photo Album"?
          John Waller Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If you must keep it identical, keep using CS4 to maintain that one-off Web Photo Album in that one-off website.

• 2. Re: What identically replaces CS 5 "Create Web Photo Album"?
            Franksr Level 1

John, I wish I would of known beforehand Adobe was removing the "Create Web Photo Album" feature.  Your answer is one I was not wanting to do.  I would prefer to only have one Dreamweaver on my computer at a time.  I thought if Adobe would be removing an important feature like this, they would have an extension or built-in identical layout in one of their other programs. As some web sites are largely photo albums, and continue to add pictures from events throughout the year, it's been an important feature to just discontinue it. Why did Adobe discontinue it?

• 3. Re: What identically replaces CS 5 "Create Web Photo Album"?
              John Waller Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I can't speak for Adobe since I'm just a plain old end user of their products just like yourself.

I do know that Adobe never remove features without having a good, hard look at what they're proposing to remove and getting feedback from users about how it's used and by how many people.

However, in Adobe's eyes, legacy features such as web albums (there since Macromedia days I believe) are clearly more suited to Bridge rather than Dreamweaver.

When they transfer features to different apps, it is rarely a seamless change so you won't get identical results at the pixel level.

When you're upgrading, everyone focusses on the new features. It's also wise to check what has been changed or discontinued before upgrading. Sometimes you'll find yourself in the unfortunate minority which relies on a given feature that apparently (according to Adobe) few people use but those that do think it's an important feature.

Having said that, Web Photo Album in Bridge is excellent from what I can see. Perhaps try it out and see what you think.

• 4. Re: What identically replaces CS 5 "Create Web Photo Album"?
                cycler Level 1

I just mailed CS4 to my grandson. About 5 hours later discovered Photo Album was gone. DW CS4 allowed you to put the photo album in the content area of my template, Bridge does not. Any suggestions?

• 6. Re: What identically replaces CS 5 "Create Web Photo Album"?
                  mhollis55 Level 4

Well, it looks like Adobe Bridge is now serving to be the web photo album monkey for Dreamweaver. And back in the Macromedia days, Adobe products could not be assumed for help with their version of Dreamweaver.

That said, Adobe needs to integrate things better. If I am in Dreamweaver and I want to do a photo album, Dreamweaver should show me how, even if it uses Bridge. One thing that was taken out of Dreamweaver was the quick Flash slideshow you could make in CS3. I wonder if that has become part of Bridge in CS4 and CS5.

What I have done though, is start using jQuery to develop these, as it's as easy to maintain as the old CS3 way of doing things and it works on all devices, including Apple's iPads, iPod Touch and iPhone and I do quite like the idea of showing off my websites with an iPad. I do realize that Flash is important but it is not visible to persons who don't see and it is described as "shockingly bad" on mobile devices.

For now, I recommend jQuery.