16 Replies Latest reply on Aug 29, 2007 3:17 AM by Newsgroup_User

Simple method for forcing 800 x 600

BillClark22
      Basic familiarity with Dreamweaver and web page creation but I can't figure THIS out. How do I force a page I'm designing to 800 x 600? I'm not using tables on these pages but I can use CSS if needed. Thanks.

BillClark22
        • 1. Re: Simple method for forcing 800 x 600
          Level 7
          Most people regard this as rude behavior. Why are you wanting to do this?

--
          Murray --- ICQ 71997575
          Adobe Community Expert
          (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
          ==================
          http://www.dreamweavermx-templates.com - Template Triage!
          http://www.projectseven.com/go - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
          http://www.dwfaq.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
          http://www.macromedia.com/support/search/ - Macromedia (MM) Technotes
          ==================

"BillClark22" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
          news:faqisf$e9f$1@forums.macromedia.com...
          > Basic familiarity with Dreamweaver and web page creation but I can't
          > figure
          > THIS out. How do I force a page I'm designing to 800 x 600? I'm not
          > using
          > tables on these pages but I can use CSS if needed. Thanks.
          >
          > BillClark22
          >

• 2. Re: Simple method for forcing 800 x 600
            BillClark22 Level 1
            Rude behavior, as in the end user? If so, who cares..it's my site. If not 800 x 600, then 1024 x 768 is fine. Basically, I'm working on a small site on my widescreen laptop and it is adjusting the screen and background sizes to it as I build it. When I view it on a "standard" pc with 800x600 or 1024x768 screen resolution it looks horrible. Just want to know how to force the page to a certain size without using a table method. OR, is it something I need to do about how I creat the page, say set MY screen to 1024x768 to create? Open to suggestions...

Bill
            • 3. Re: Simple method for forcing 800 x 600
              Level 7
              This -

> If so, who cares..it's my site.

and this -

> Open to suggestions...

are in conflict with each other.

So - you resize the screen, and then I leave your site. But my screen is
              now resized, and I have to change it back to the way I like it. See why
              it's rude?

> Basically, I'm working on a small site on my
              > widescreen laptop and it is adjusting the screen and background sizes to
              > it as
              > I build it. When I view it on a "standard" pc with 800x600 or 1024x768
              > screen
              > resolution it looks horrible.

And what happens when you get the sizes all adjusted properly, and then I
              resize the text display in my browser? Bingo - horrible again. What about
              when I open a History sidebar? Bingo - horrible again. See? You're trying
              to nail jelly to the wall. If you want this level of control, just make a
              PDF and link to it.

You can control the position and the tiling of your background image with
              CSS, you know?

--
              Murray --- ICQ 71997575
              Adobe Community Expert
              ==================
              ==================

news:faun5b$1f3$1@forums.macromedia.com...
              > Rude behavior, as in the end user? If so, who cares..it's my site. If
              > not 800
              > x 600, then 1024 x 768 is fine. Basically, I'm working on a small site on
              > my
              > it as
              > screen
              > resolution it looks horrible. Just want to know how to force the page to
              > a
              > certain size without using a table method. OR, is it something I need to
              > do
              > about how I creat the page, say set MY screen to 1024x768 to create? Open
              > to
              > suggestions...
              >
              > Bill
              >

• 4. Re: Simple method for forcing 800 x 600
                Level 7
                <script language="JavaScript">
                Resize_WindowX = 800;
                Resize_WindowY = 600;
                self.resizeTo(Resize_WindowX,Resize_WindowY);
                </script>

news:faun5b$1f3$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                > Rude behavior, as in the end user? If so, who cares..it's my site. If
                not 800
                > x 600, then 1024 x 768 is fine. Basically, I'm working on a small site on
                my
                it as
                screen
                > resolution it looks horrible. Just want to know how to force the page to
                a
                > certain size without using a table method. OR, is it something I need to
                do
                > about how I creat the page, say set MY screen to 1024x768 to create? Open
                to
                > suggestions...
                >
                > Bill
                >

• 5. Re: Simple method for forcing 800 x 600
                  BillClark22 Level 1
                  Ok ok ok Murray, I get the point. But let me clarify...this is a very BASIC "website" and the target audience is very selected group that is very BASIC. They won't be changing anything with regards to the browser or it's views. BUT, I do like the idea of the PDF. I'll add that as a download link instead of having the try to print the page. TRUST me...I'm NOT a web-designer/coder by profession, this is just a small project that needs done with minimal fuss. I do appreciate your input as I can tell you want it done the "right' way. For now it just needs done (which I'm sure makes your cringe as you read that.) I'll hire an actual web-designer when I'm ready to make it polished. Thanks again.
                  • 6. Re: Simple method for forcing 800 x 600
                    Level 7
                    > They won't be changing anything with regards to the browser

But you will be. And when they leave your site, they'll have to change
                    their browser BACK to how it was before they came in. That's why it's
                    considered rude.

--
                    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                    Adobe Community Expert
                    ==================
                    ==================

news:favvpq$f0b$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                    > Ok ok ok Murray, I get the point. But let me clarify...this is a very
                    > BASIC
                    > "website" and the target audience is very selected group that is very
                    > BASIC.
                    > They won't be changing anything with regards to the browser or it's views.
                    > BUT, I do like the idea of the PDF. I'll add that as a download link
                    > instead
                    > of having the try to print the page. TRUST me...I'm NOT a
                    > web-designer/coder
                    > by profession, this is just a small project that needs done with minimal
                    > fuss.
                    > I do appreciate your input as I can tell you want it done the "right' way.
                    > For
                    > now it just needs done (which I'm sure makes your cringe as you read
                    > that.)
                    > I'll hire an actual web-designer when I'm ready to make it polished.
                    > Thanks
                    > again.
                    >

• 7. Re: Simple method for forcing 800 x 600
                      Level 7
                      On Tue, 28 Aug 2007 07:35:07 -0400, "Murray *ACE*"
                      <forums@HAHAgreat-web-sights.com> wrote:

>But you will be. And when they leave your site, they'll have to change
                      >their browser BACK to how it was before they came in. That's why it's
                      >considered rude.

I've been watching this from a distance and I'm not certain you two are
                      talking about the same thing. Murray's (valid) concern is with a web
                      page that re-sizes the browser window. I suspect that the question isn't
                      really about re-sizing the browser, but instead about making a page be a
                      certain size and simply be either left justified or centered in the
                      browser.

Of course I could be wrong too. ;-)
                      • 8. Re: Simple method for forcing 800 x 600
                        TomF2468
                        If Gary is correct (I had the same reaction):

#wrapper {
                        margin: 5px auto;
                        padding: 0px;
                        height: 600px;
                        width: 800px;
                        background-color: #FFFFFF;
                        }

Just put that in your css and put the div around your entire site.

<body><div id="wrapper">Your site goes here</div></body>

It will make your SITE 600x800 pixels and centered. If the viewer's BROWSER is set (by the viewer) larger than 600x800 your site will float in the middle of the big screen, if the viewer's browser is set smaller than 600x800 they will see your site and get scroll bars to navigate around with. Personally, I would replace the height with the word "auto", I can understand wanting to control the site's width, I don't usually want to control its height.

If Murray is right and you want to reset the viewer's browser window size.... then let me chime in and agree that this is simply rude behavour for a public site!

Hope that helps
                        Tom
                        • 9. Re: Simple method for forcing 800 x 600
                          siouxadmgr
                          These comments are great! Will this work for me too in Dreamweaver MX2004? I am really learning and have the same issue with my background image appearing off to the left on larger screens. I am trying to get it to float in the center - no matter what the screen size. Do I edit this code in the css?

Thanks,
                          • 10. Re: Simple method for forcing 800 x 600
                            Level 7
                            Show us the page by posting a link, please.

--
                            Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                            Adobe Community Expert
                            ==================
                            ==================

"siouxadmgr" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                            news:fb1h81$900$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                            > These comments are great! Will this work for me too in Dreamweaver
                            > MX2004? I
                            > am really learning and have the same issue with my background image
                            > appearing
                            > off to the left on larger screens. I am trying to get it to float in the
                            > center - no matter what the screen size. Do I edit this code in the css?
                            >
                            > Thanks,
                            >

• 11. Re: Simple method for forcing 800 x 600
                              siouxadmgr Level 1
                              sorry - the site is www.sioux.com

the large company name graphic on the top of every page seems to shift to the left on some larger screens

I am just learning about css but when I try to adjust it on the homepage - this css page opens: popmenus.css

The code inside that css page looks like this:

@charset "iso-8859-1";
                              /* CSS Document */
                              #HEAD {
                              position: absolute;
                              width: 795px;
                              left: 95px;
                              top: 0px;
                              }
                              body {
                              background-color: #FFFFFF;
                              margin: 96px 0 0 0;
                              padding: 0;
                              font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;
                              font-size: 100%;

any ideas???
                              THanks!
                              • 12. Re: Simple method for forcing 800 x 600
                                Level 7
                                Add this to your CSS -

body { min-height:101%; margin-bottom:1px; }

--
                                Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                                Adobe Community Expert
                                ==================
                                ==================

"siouxadmgr" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                                news:fb1iu7$aq4$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                                > sorry - the site is www.sioux.com
                                >
                                > the large company name graphic on the top of every page seems to shift to
                                > the
                                > left on some larger screens
                                >
                                > I am just learning about css but when I try to adjust it on the homepage -
                                > this css page opens: popmenus.css
                                >
                                > The code inside that css page looks like this:
                                >
                                > @charset "iso-8859-1";
                                > /* CSS Document */
                                > #HEAD {
                                > position: absolute;
                                > width: 795px;
                                > left: 95px;
                                > top: 0px;
                                > }
                                > body {
                                > background-color: #FFFFFF;
                                > margin: 96px 0 0 0;
                                > padding: 0;
                                > font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;
                                > font-size: 100%;
                                >
                                >
                                > any ideas???
                                > THanks!
                                >

• 13. Re: Simple method for forcing 800 x 600
                                  siouxadmgr Level 1
                                  I am sorry but exactly where should i put that into the coding?

Right after the
                                  body {
                                  ?

Thanks
                                  • 14. Re: Simple method for forcing 800 x 600
                                    siouxadmgr Level 1
                                    I have tried everything and that doesn't work. Thanks for trying.
                                    • 15. Re: Simple method for forcing 800 x 600
                                      TomF2468 Level 1
                                      Language can be a very fussy thing... You said "issue with my background image appearing off to the left on larger screens" and "I THINK" you mean your header image rather than a background image (your site seems to only have a white background, not a background image). I think you are worried about the very top of your page, <div id=HEAD>

What I notice is that the css for this is in the popmenus.css file:

#HEAD {
                                      position: absolute;
                                      width: 795px;
                                      left: 100px;
                                      top: 0px;
                                      }

This forces the header to always be 100px from the left side of the browser window, while the rest of your site is centered. However in the page code you have

<div id="HEAD" onMouseOver="P7_autoShowHide(0)" align="center">

Which is asking it to be centered. Conflicting requests! Your css is in three places:, 2 external files and in the page code. That can get confusing!

Hope that helps
                                      Tom
                                      • 16. Re: Simple method for forcing 800 x 600
                                        Level 7
                                        On Tue, 28 Aug 2007 18:21:18 +0000 (UTC), "siouxadmgr"
                                        <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote:

>I am sorry but exactly where should i put that into the coding?
                                        >
                                        >Right after the
                                        >body {
                                        >?
                                        >

In you main external css file - do you have one of those ?

--

~Malcolm N....
                                        ~