2 Replies Latest reply on May 25, 2010 9:50 AM by sync2rhythm

Import of MP4 issue

NorthByNorthwest

Ha. Steep learning curve on Premier...... why when I import an mp4 from my YOU TUBE station, does my Premier only import the audio?

Thanks in advance,

North

• 1. Re: Import of MP4 issue
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Because that stuff is not intended to be edited. If you have the legal rights to edit it, the owner can supply you with the original, editable material.

• 2. Re: Import of MP4 issue
            sync2rhythm Level 1

Harm Millaard wrote:

Because that stuff is not intended to be edited. If you have the legal rights to edit it, the owner can supply you with the original, editable material.

Harm's statement is more of a Moral Issue than anything else. Simply put, people don't like to be ripped off.

Stealing videos from YouTube -vs- having permission from it's Creator can be for someone else to judge or comment on.

Anything can be edited provided your program of choice supports it. ie: Look at all the BS little CamCorders that people shoot and edit with.

Some things create more of a headache than they're worth meaning if you learn & stick with standards you won't have as many hoops (if any) to jump through to get it to work.

YouTube videos have already been soooo compressed that they are usually not worth it. If your hope is to reEdit, reRender, and reDeliver... you're going to end up with a pretty crappy looking and possibly unwatchable video... but beauty/quality is in the eye of the beholder.

Download Gspot then drag & drop your YouTube file on it.

This will tell you what CoDec it uses.

Sounds like Premiere reads the Audio CoDec but cannot read or does not have installed the Video CoDec.

If you can install the CoDec... chances are good that Premiere will read/edit it. Depending on what CoDec it is, you may need to Transcode it into a more edit friendly format... but because of the nature of your question... I think you're headed for more problems/questions.

- But that's what the forums are for, right?