11 Replies Latest reply on May 27, 2010 11:41 AM by jeremy d.

Quicktime needed for Premiere Pro?

zooheather Level 1

Hello!

I've just started using my Premiere Pro (4.2.1) purchased this winter and have discovered that I am not able to import .mov files into the software. Since I've previously edited some material on FCP, I have a good number of these file formats.

Here's where it gets tricky. I'm assuming I need Quicktime to have these files be readable by Premiere Pro. I'm wondering two things:

1) What format, is quicktime pro what I'd need or would just quicktime player suffice?

2) Is quicktime even necessary or is there some other way?

I ask question 2 because from what I've heard, the IT department where I work doesn't like Quicktime and so trys to avoid having it on our computers, and I'd like to know if there is an alternative to this software (like a way to convert the files from .mov to a .mpg or .m4v or something else that Premiere pro can read without having Quicktime).

And I don't know the codecs of any of my files... they're older created over a year ago... majority of what I'd want to use are capture scratch files from FCP that the only thing done to them was import them into FCP from a miniDV cam.

Thanks for your help!

Heather

• 1. Re: Quicktime needed for Premiere Pro?
          shooternz Level 6
          ..the IT department where I work doesn't like Quicktime and so trys to avoid having it on our computers,

Tell them to get over themselves ...and install QT Pro.

• 3. Re: Quicktime needed for Premiere Pro?
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Heather,

My personal "last known good" version of QT is 7.5.5. Issues have been reported with 7.6.2 and 7.6.3 with some Adobe programs (just like the 7.4.2 and 7.4.3 versions), but most users seem to like the current, 7.6.6. Still, a few users have reported some minor issues with it.

Now, I have the Pro version, but all of my systems have 7.5.5. Prior to that, 7.3.5 was the previous known good. Seems that Apple gets it right, but then for a couple of versions, it just does not play with Adobe programs. Maybe it's Steve Job's anti-Flash sentiment?

As for gathering the details of your older files, QT Pro does a pretty good job with Ctrl+J. The non-Pro version has a limited Properties screen, but I do not know the keystroke for that. I use the great, free utility, G-SPOT, to gather info on my files. It does great with AVI's, and MPEG's, but does lag a bit with MOV and WMV files. MediaInfo gets high marks as well, but I don't use it that much.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - when your IT person installs QT Player (Pro, or otherwise), make sure that it's done by Custom Install, so that QT Player does not seize the file types, associated with PrPro, AI, PS, etc.. Limit it to just MP4's, MOV's, etc. It has gotten better recently, but used to just change almost all file types to itself. Do not let that happen, or you will spend an hour re-associating so many file types with the proper programs.

Also, many typical QT CODEC's, like H.264 are also available from companies like Lead and MainConcept. Now, it is my understanding that CS5 does require QT Player, but I could well be confused on that issue, and you are on CS4 anyway.

• 4. Re: Quicktime needed for Premiere Pro?
              bertrenolds Level 1

I had the same issue, just install the free version of quick time and you can import files into Ppro.

• 5. Re: Quicktime needed for Premiere Pro?
                zooheather Level 1

So it sounds like either QT Player (free) or QT Pro would work, or we could even go to a player that isn't QT but plays .mov files?

I must admit I'm a novice, so some of the technical lingo I'm not sure of... is it possible to get QT Pro in a lower version than is currently being sold? My first thought is no, so perhaps I just have to deal with the unfortunate issues if the version being sold isn't the "best?"

• 6. Re: Quicktime needed for Premiere Pro?
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

As for earlier versions, Apple used to have a link to their "archive" on the right-hand side of the QT product download page. Last time that I went looking for a poster, I could no longer find this link, and searching the Apple site turned up nothing. However, another poster found a non-Apple archive with many previous versions. I cannot recall if it was Cnet, or another site, but Google should find you several such sites.

Now, QT Pro is only an unlock feature. All 7.x.x versions of QT Player will have the Pro code included. For ~ US$29, one gets an unlock key for those included features. Historically, if one buys the Pro unlock key for say a 7.x.x version, that will work for ALL 7.x.x versions. Right now, Apple is up to about 7.6.6. One purchase of the Pro unlock key should work for ALL 7.x.x versions. When Apple moves to the 8.x.x versions, one will probably need to buy a Pro unlock key for those. That is how it worked in the past - all 5.x.x versions used one Pro license, then one needed to buy again for the 6.x.x versions and again for the 7.x.x versions.

Pro normally opens up a additional CODEC, or two, allows for rudimentary Cutting editing operations, a Save_As export feature and a better Properties feature. Might be more, but I cannot think of them now.

With the exception of a few version issues, I have had no other problems with QT Player (have had Pro since at least the 5-series, and probably before) on any of my machines. When a new version DID cause issues, I just rolled-back, as I keep older versions in archived folders. I find this a good plan with other software, including video and audio drivers. One never knows when a roll-back will be required. I also turn off the Auto-Update feature in QT, because of those bogus versions. I do this for ALL of my software, as I want 100% control on when, and if any software is updated. That is the first thing that I turn OFF, when I install anything. I will check for updates manually. This goes for my OS too, as even simple hot-fixes, can kill certain drivers, especially video and audio drivers. I keep the OS updated, but on my schedule, so that I know that I might also have to update my audio and video drivers at the same time.

Good luck, and hope that this helps,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Quicktime needed for Premiere Pro?
                    John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Go to Apple's quicktime page and click the download link

In small print on that page is a link to download previous versions... I think QT755 that Hunt likes is on the 2nd old version page

http://support.apple.com/downloads/#quicktime

• 8. Re: Quicktime needed for Premiere Pro?
                      bertrenolds Level 1

I couldn't open .mov files in premiere until I installed the free version of quick time so that I had .mov codec support. I currently have quicktime 7.6.6 free installed and I can open, play, and edit .mov files just fine in premiere pro cs3 now. http://www.apple.com/quicktime/download/ get the free version without itunes, and you do not need to give them your email, just click free download now. Hopefully this will let you open .mov files in Ppro.

• 9. Re: Quicktime needed for Premiere Pro?
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

John T.,

Have they restored the archive link? Or, are my eyes just getting too tired and old? Not THAT long ago, I went looking for it, but could no longer find it. Gotta' go check for myself now.

Thanks,

Hunt

[Edit] Yep, it's back, just below the Download. It moved, but is back!

Message was edited by: Bill Hunt - Added [Edit]

• 10. Re: Quicktime needed for Premiere Pro?
                          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Very hard to see because of the screen and link color in that area... Apple does make older versions available, but NOT easy to find

• 11. Re: Quicktime needed for Premiere Pro?
                            jeremy d. Level 3
                            I couldn't open .mov files in premiere until I installed the free version of quick time so that I had .mov codec support. I currently have quicktime 7.6.6 free installed and I can open, play, and edit .mov files just fine in premiere pro cs3 now. http://www.apple.com/quicktime/download/ get the free version without itunes, and you do not need to give them your email, just click free download now. Hopefully this will let you open .mov files in Ppro.

That is what I would expect. You need QT to use mov, but the pro version is not necessary, although it will work just as well.