9 Replies Latest reply on May 26, 2010 5:30 AM by Steve Grisetti

PRE 8 - Preview Window, Set In and Set Out do nothing

EmeryLane

Hi,

I am running Premier Elements 8 (with the 8.0.1 update and updated NVIDIA drivers on Windows 7 64-bit) and in the Preview Window the Set In and Set Out buttons do not work. Neither do the keyboard equivalents. I'm working with a fairly large (30 minute) .avi file. Anyone else seen this problem? Any ideas how to resolve the issue? Thanks.

Emery

• 1. Re: PRE 8 - Preview Window, Set In and Set Out do nothing
          EmeryLane Level 1

More details: This problem seems to be related to the particular file I'm using. The file is .avi and came from a Sony camcorder. It is about 50 minutes long (about 11 GB).

Assuming this problem is related to file size, is there an easy way to break the file up in pieces? I no longer have access to the camcorder or the miniDV tape.

• 2. Re: PRE 8 - Preview Window, Set In and Set Out do nothing
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Premiere Elements can break it into segments or scenes, based on content or time -- but these will actually be just a series of in and out points. The original file will not change.

A program like Scenalyzer (found online) will break it into smaller pieces, if you think it's necessary.

Although, if this video was captured over FireWire from a miniDV camcorder, that should not be necessary. Assuming you've got plenty of defragmented free space on your hard drive, you should have no problems working with a 50-60 minute DV-AVI.

• 3. Re: PRE 8 - Preview Window, Set In and Set Out do nothing
              EmeryLane Level 1

Thanks for your response Steve. My system is new and has plenty of hard drive space. The capture was via firewire and the whole video was captured as one file.

What I have since done to get around the problem of the Set In and Out not working on this file in the Preview Window is split the file up into several (seven actually) parts that break on good transition points that I selected.

To do this, I used AVI Splitter, from Briz Software. This software did a good job. The smaller files work ok in Adobe Premier Elements 8.

Thanks again.

• 4. Re: PRE 8 - Preview Window, Set In and Set Out do nothing

As I said, you could also have done this using the Break into Scenes tool in Premiere Elements.

But glad you found a solution, Emery!

• 5. Re: PRE 8 - Preview Window, Set In and Set Out do nothing
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Now, there are three places to "preview" source footage: the Preview Monitor in the Organizer, the Source Monitor (Dbl-click on the Asset in the Project Panel to Open it there to set In & Out Points), and then the Program Monitor, that previews the Timeline and the Clips in it.

As PrE is a non-destructive editor (does NOT alter the source footage files in any way), when one uses the Source Monitor to set the In & Out Points, and then the user drags this "instance" to the Timeline, it is but an "instance" of a portion of that original source file. One can have many instances of that same source file on the Timeline, and they are defined by a set of "instructions" referencing the original source file, and will tell the program how to handle those instances, when one Exports/Shares.

Hope that this helps, and good luck,

Hunt

PS - welcome to the forum.

• 6. Re: PRE 8 - Preview Window, Set In and Set Out do nothing
                    EmeryLane Level 1

Thanks for your reply Bill,

Unforunately, the problem with Set In and Set Out not working in the Preview Monitor returned. I can move the sliders manually but clicking on the Set In icon does not move to the CTI. Since I can move them manually I finished the job. I appear to have stumbled upon some sort of program bug. As I am new to video editing and this program I am never sure if the problem is my lack of knowledge or lingering deficiencies in the program. I am just about ready to lay blame on the latter.

Thanks for your help.

Emery

• 7. Re: PRE 8 - Preview Window, Set In and Set Out do nothing
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

I am still unsure whether you are in the Project Panel's Preview Monitor (the little guy at the top of that Panel), or the Source Monitor, which will be opened, when you Dbl-click the Asset in the Project Panel. Can you clarify?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: PRE 8 - Preview Window, Set In and Set Out do nothing
                        EmeryLane Level 1

Hi Bill,

The Preview window to which I am referring is the one reached by:  Organize Task/Media button and double click an asset (file name). The window that opens is Preview - <asset name>. This appears to me to be the same window that can be reached from the Project button in the Organize Task.

Hope that helps.

Emery

• 9. Re: PRE 8 - Preview Window, Set In and Set Out do nothing

It sounds as if you're working in the wrong window, Emery. If you're opening it in Organize/Media panel, that's not the Clip Monitor window.

Go to the Organize/Project panel and double-click on your clips. This will open the Clip Preview Monitor, where you should be able to set your In and Out Points.