5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 17, 2013 1:30 PM by corinstedman

Issues Illustrator CS5 ink manager/file collection/rotating views

gingeralenz Level 1

I work alot on food packaging in illustrator and have a few issues with CS5 that perhaps someone has a workaround for?

I need to be able to view effective ppi resolution on links and collect/package all links into a folder. These features are in indesign, why not illustrator?? It would make sense for the effective PPI/final output resolution to be displayed in the links panel like it is in indesign.

Man i wish they had included the ability to rotate the view in illustrator, would save a lot of neck strain on boxes.

Regarding inkmanager, i want to create a pdf for client proofing from an illustrator file that has 3 spot colours and cmyk, there is no option to convert spot colours to process in illustrator like there is in indesign. The spot colours are coming out black in the pdf instead of the actual colour.

• 1. Re: Issues Illustrator CS5 ink manager/file collection/rotating views
          ~Rama Level 1

Effective PPI of Linked Images: Although you cannot see the effective PPI in Links panel, you can find the effective PPI of a linked image in the control panel once you select the linked image

Convert Spot to Process: Spot colors can be converted to process in Illustrator, select all objects applied with spot color and then access Edit Menu > Edit Colors > Convert to CMYK or Select the Spot swatch in Swatches panel edit the spot swatch and make it process. These are alternate ways you can convert Spot colors to Process.

Spot colors should not be exported as Black in PDF, please report this issue to Adobe, before doing that please check whether Overprint Preview is turned on in Acrobat. You can check this Illustrator itself by place linking the exported PDF in new document and turn on Overprint Preview.

• 2. Re: Issues Illustrator CS5 ink manager/file collection/rotating views
            gingeralenz Level 1

The job will be output on press with spot colours, all i want is a pdf for client that looks right. I assumed it was the spot colours causing the issues in the pdf, there used to be an option (in previous versions of cs) in the dialogue box  to convert to process when making a pdf. If i place the file in indesign and export to pdf and use the setting in ink manager convert to process the job pdfs correctly. I cant find this option in illustrator cs5.

Regarding effective ppi, it's not practicle with 50+ links in multiple files to have to click on each link to view its resolution, you can just view it in a list in indesign.

• 3. Re: Issues Illustrator CS5 ink manager/file collection/rotating views
              Kaushik A

I guess your client must be using a PDF viewer other than Acrobat so that the spot colors are not appearing correctly. In absence of Ink Manager in Illustrator, what you can do is print to a PostScript file whereby you can convert all spot colors to process (from the ouput panel in Print dialog) and then distill the PS file to produce a PDF that you can send to your client.

And you can view the effective ppi of all your linked images from the Document Info panel (Window>Document Info).

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Issues Illustrator CS5 ink manager/file collection/rotating views
                gingeralenz Level 1

Document info window is useful work around thanks. But it would be so much better if the links panel was customisable to view extra information as in indesign.

• 5. Re: Issues Illustrator CS5 ink manager/file collection/rotating views
                  corinstedman

Why not just use InDesign? Illustrator is clearly lacking in design tools. It's always a sad day when I have to go into Illustrator because I can't do something in InDesign.