19 Replies Latest reply on May 30, 2010 2:40 PM by joshtownsend

Plugins Update

Bisa Goma Level 2

How many third party plugins are keeping up to date with CS5. I have so far seen Decklink and Pixelan Spicemaster.

All the rest are sleeping after being out for a month. Anymore out there?

• 1. Re: Plugins Update
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Color Finesse (for AE) and Surcode are out too, as is Trapcode and MB Looks. Others will follow shortly.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Plugins Update
            dapali

Video Copilot's plugins are also updated for CS5.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Plugins Update
              joshtownsend Level 2

Boris continuum 7 has been out for a while. Also Re:Vision (Twixtor) is out. Also Tiffens DFT comp plug-ins are out. Digieffects has most of there plug-in's updated. Only big one not out yet is Genarts Sapphire/tinderbox.

Those are the proffesional plug-ins. The more 'prosumer' stuff may not be upgraded because they are smaller companies and don't have capital to upgrade as quickly as Magic Bullet and Boris.

• 4. Re: Plugins Update
                tclark513 Level 3

Harm,

I read over on the RED forums that you can copy and paste the Color Finesse Plug In over to Premiere and use it in there.  He says its been working pretty well but I tried pasting it to all the different plug in folders and cannot get it to show up.

Any ideas?

http://reduser.net/forum/showthread.php?t=45539

• 5. Re: Plugins Update
                  Harm Millaard Level 7

No, that does not work. The LE version that is included with Production Premium/MC works only with AE. You need the PI version for PR and that will come out in the next weeks.

• 6. Re: Plugins Update
                    tclark513 Level 3

Thanks!

I wonder what he is doing to get it to work?

• 7. Re: Plugins Update
                      SFL46 Level 3

Although Boris Continium has been ported to 64 bit, none of the other Boris pluggins--e.g., Graffitti and Borix FX have been updated yet.  There is also language on the Boris web site that some BCC filters have not been ported

• 8. Re: Plugins Update
                        joshtownsend Level 2

I have the new Boris 7 and ALL the plug-ins work. There is an issue with the 3d extrude plug-ins but that only affects Macs right now these plug-in's don't/won't/never worked with Premiere anyway only AE. The 3 way color grade is awesome (little buggy in AE but perfect in PrPro cs5). All the BCC effects are way faster 64 bit native. Very happy with the suite. The noise reduction plug-in is OK but nothing can beat NEAT video(The 1st company to have CS5 ready plug-ins. They were available even before CS5 came out!!)

Also can't get the Color Finesse thing to work.Tried moving it the the common folder and the Premiere plug-in folder.

Most AE effects that don't have a separate GUI or work in AE 3d space will work in Premiere is you move them into the "COMMON" folder. This includes VC Twitch and most cycore plug-ins that come with AE.

• 9. Re: Plugins Update
                          Steve C2 Level 2

The Neatvideo plugin works.  You need the 64-bit version.  It might be a new version for CS5.

• 10. Re: Plugins Update
                            Steve C2 Level 2

I forgot to mention.  At least some of the Red Giant plugins work with CS5, since a complimentary set is offered as one of the Adobe upgrade "benefit" options.

• 11. Re: Plugins Update
                              Bisa Goma Level 2

I guess this time around most of them were not ready for the 64bit. But we all knew that CS5 was going to be a 64bit application. Boris is coming out to support in their Q3 releases. With the speed and stability in CS5, one can enjoy the Ram-Hungry Boris in the 64bit zone. Thanks, and let's hope they upgrade and not chicken out like some did when Premiere 6.5 moved to PPro

• 12. Re: Plugins Update
                                Henrique Zanetti

The problem with all these plugins for premiere cs5, and for now they do not benefit from the Cuda.

• 13. Re: Plugins Update
                                  joshtownsend Level 2

Thay don't support MPE because Adobe doesn't give them option to. Maybe they want to keep MPE's inner working secret. The CS5 plug-in SDK doesn't include instructions for CUDA speed-up.

• 14. Re: Plugins Update
                                    Henrique Zanetti Level 1

You are absolutely right and just to clarify I give merit of these companies have ever made, but for now I do not see any performance with MPE. But it is better to have them than not now, then congratulations for the initiative of companies.

• 15. Re: Plugins Update
                                      Averdahl Level 3

Thay don't support MPE because Adobe doesn't give them option to. Maybe they want to keep MPE's inner working secret. The CS5 plug-in SDK doesn't include instructions for CUDA speed-up.

AFAIK, it is indeed possible for third party vendors to use it. This is taken from the Premiere Pro CS5 SDK i just downloaded:

"Exporters and players can automatically take advantage of GPU acceleration, if available on the end-user’s system. Each project now has a setting for the renderer that the user can choose in the project settings dialog. When renders occur through the Sequence Render Suite or the Playmod Render Suite, they now go through the renderer chosen for the current project. This allows thirdparty exporters and players to use the built-in GPU acceleration available in the new Mercury Playback Engine."

(Taken from http://www.adobe.com/devnet/premiere/sdk/cs5/ )

Am i missing something?

/Roger

• 16. Re: Plugins Update
                                        SFL46 Level 3

Maybe--the SDK states "exporters" and "Players"  the thread was discussing plugins for filter, titling, and transitions?????

• 17. Re: Plugins Update
                                          Chuck A. McIntyre Level 3

I quickly scanned through this thread and didn't see GenArts Sapphire Plug-ins... Anyway they became available for CS5 just last week.  We bought the complete set about 2 months ago.  The boss wasn't too happy about having to pay for the upgrade so that it will work with CS5, but the company rep, we dealt with knows good customer service and gave us a price break.

• 18. Re: Plugins Update
                                            shooternz Level 6
                                            Most AE effects that don't have a separate GUI or work in AE 3d space will work in Premiere is you move them into the "COMMON" folder. This includes VC Twitch and most cycore plug-ins that come with AE.

Someone else may like to check this first ...but I find the Cycore FX from AEFX need to be placed in the En-US Folder n their own "Cyore" Folder.  PPRO CS5 will not load if they are in the Common folder.

BTW: I am not sure that as many CCs FX work in CS5 as they did n CS4 ...but plenty of them do.

• 19. Re: Plugins Update
                                              joshtownsend Level 2

I understood wrong when I asked the Magic Bullet team about this. I'm under NDA with them right now so can't say to much.

Well nearly all plug-in creators use the AE SDK not the Premiere one which is the only one that supports MPE. On the page you just linked to it says "On the other hand, the After Effects SDK is the recommended SDK for  developing effect plug-ins for Premiere Pro and Premiere Elements."

This is why none the 3rd party plug-ins bother to re-create the whole plug-in with the Premiere SDK. In fact the only major 3rd party to develop just for Premiere is Neat Video. That's why you have to buy seperate license for Neat video if you want to use it with Premiere as well as After Effects.

Basically it costs twice the money to develop a plug-in using the Premiere SDK as it does the AE SDK. Once or if Premiere CS5 gets a huge market share and they believe people won't mind paying $300 bucks for Premiere version of...say Magic Bullets Looks or Colorista AS WELL AS another $300 bucks for the After Effects version then it'll be finiancially viable. Does that make sense.

If you guys wouldn't mind buying two copies of evey plug-in (one for AE and one for CS5 Premiere Pro) lemme know and I'll pass it on.

In a nutshell, when Premiere CS5 has enough users willing to pay full price for a Premiere CS5-only MPE plug-in then they will make it. Right now it's not a viable option because using the AE SDK they can sell to people using CS3, CS4, and CS5 versions of AE and Premiere. Does that make sense?