2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 13, 2007 9:00 AM by dampx

New to CS3

dampx
      Hello, im fairly new to the whole CS3 scene but i bought web premium, and ive watched nearly all of the video's in the video workshop for all the products i use including Fireworks and Photoshop.

So far from what im seeing, everything looks like its easier to do in photoshop then in fireworks. Ive been using Photoshop for years so im not too bad with it.

My issue here is that after watching the video's for Fireworks, it looked like i can pretty much create my website in photoshop, and then open it up with the same layers all intact in fireworks and add interactivity to my website, then convert it to a web format and make it my website. But the problem is im not too certain you can do this anymore.

Ive made a small site, and i have put in some input boxes and a submit button, and everything works except the input boxes. They always come in as part of the JPG image.

If i choose to save it as flash file, all my layers become visible and the thing looks really really really bad!

Apparently im doing something wrong, or im wrong about the functions of fireworks and i should be using something else instead.

Any comments, and help would be greatly appreciated, thank you
        • 1. Re: New to CS3
          Level 7
          dampx wrote:
          > So far from what im seeing, everything looks like its easier to do in
          > photoshop then in fireworks. Ive been using Photoshop for years so im not too
          > bad with it.

Actually, for most of us here it's exactly the opposite. Everything is
          easier and more flexible in Fireworks :-) The first thing you should do
          is forget about Photoshop when you're working in Fireworks. They are
          very different kinds of applications and Fireworks's workflow is much
          more akin to Illustrator's than Photoshop.

> My issue here is that after watching the video's for Fireworks, it looked like
          > i can pretty much create my website in photoshop, and then open it up with the
          > same layers all intact in fireworks and add interactivity to my website, then
          > convert it to a web format and make it my website. But the problem is im not
          > too certain you can do this anymore.

You can but why go through Photoshop first when Fireworks has most of
          the same tools plus its entire vector toolset which makes it a much
          better layout and design application as any vector application would be.

> Ive made a small site, and i have put in some input boxes and a submit button,
          > and everything works except the input boxes. They always come in as part of
          > the JPG image.

You've lost me there. You'll have to be more specific as to the steps
          you used. Furthermore, Fireworks is a graphics application, not a Web
          authoring app. It can mockup the look of form widgets but you'll have to
          use Dreamweaver or another authoring app to create the real form
          controls that will appear in the HTML code. Don't use Fireworks to
          create the code, it's not its primary purpose and will give you more
          trouble than it's worth. Use Firworks to create your graphics and use
          Dreamweaver to actually build your pages.

> If i choose to save it as flash file, all my layers become visible and the
          > thing looks really really really bad!

Can't help you with Flash export as I never use it. But again, you'll
          have to be more specific about what you wanted to achieve and how you
          went about it for anyone to be able to help you further.

> Apparently im doing something wrong, or im wrong about the functions of
          > fireworks and i should be using something else instead.

No. I think you just should take the time to learn what Fireworks really
          is and how to work with it. You should leave a lot of your Photoshop
          mindset at the door because Firworks works differently and many of these
          differences make for a more efficient workflow and graphics that can be
          modified and re-edited more easily later.

You probably should also learn more about efficient Web design an Web
          development and best practices. Exporting an entire page or site out of
          Fireworks (or Photoshop/ImageReady) is really not the ideal way to go
          about it as there are many technical issues you cannot deal with
          effectively in a graphics app. No matter what software vendors may tell
          you, there is no such thing as WYSIWYG on the Web...

--
          Stéphane Bergeron
          reach : connect : communicate
          http://www.webfocusdesign.com
          blog : tutorials : articles : gallery
          http://www.pixelyzed.com
          • 2. Re: New to CS3
            dampx Level 1
            quote:

You've lost me there. You'll have to be more specific as to the steps
            you used. Furthermore, Fireworks is a graphics application, not a Web
            authoring app. It can mockup the look of form widgets but you'll have to
            use Dreamweaver or another authoring app to create the real form
            controls that will appear in the HTML code. Don't use Fireworks to
            create the code, it's not its primary purpose and will give you more
            trouble than it's worth. Use Firworks to create your graphics and use
            Dreamweaver to actually build your pages.

That pretty much answered my question. The videos i saw in the video workshop showed people setting up a website with controls, buttons, text input boxes, dropdown combo boxes, all kinds of things, but i dont remember hearing them say that you cant save it and use that as your page. It made fireworks look like an all in 1 utility to make websites like that, but it wasnt working for me..

Using dreamweaver sounds about right, i loaded it up and brought what i made in Fireworks into it, and now i can do everything as necessary in there. Dreamweaver was the application i was looking for.

Thank you for your help