5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 12, 2007 10:37 AM by Newsgroup_User

How would I do this?

k86-archive.com
      Hello

I’m currently remaking my site from scratch as in the past few weeks I’ve had trouble with my host (I posted what was going on here on the forum) but I’ve decided to make the site a little better in displaying new news stories but I’m not too sure how to go about it

My site is updated on a daily basis so I would like about 5 tables, each displaying its own news story, but when I update the site, I would like the news stories to move down a table and display the newest one at the top
      I created an update system on my own site but it was my first attempt and was complicated to do so I would like to make it easier and looking better in the process

I would also, once I’ve updated my site, like to display an avatar of the user who posted it (I will have at least 3 people posting updates) on my last site was able to display the name of the user who posted the update, but I’m just not too sure how to link an image

Here is the link to my site, it’s still in the very early stages but the layout of the tables is about complete

My site

I’m using Dreamweaver MX 2004 and the pages will be in .ASP

Thank you for your time
        • 1. Re: How would I do this?
          GhengisJones Level 1
          Put the stories in your database and sort them descending by AutoNumber.
          • 2. Re: How would I do this?
            Level 7
            On Sat, 11 Aug 2007 21:25:14 +0000 (UTC), "k86-archive.com"
            <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote:

>Hello
            >
            > I?m currently remaking my site from scratch as in the past few weeks I?ve had
            >trouble with my host (I posted what was going on here on the forum) but I?ve
            >decided to make the site a little better in displaying new news stories but I?m
            >not too sure how to go about it
            >
            > My site is updated on a daily basis so I would like about 5 tables, each
            >displaying its own news story, but when I update the site, I would like the
            >news stories to move down a table and display the newest one at the top
            > I created an update system on my own site but it was my first attempt and was
            >complicated to do so I would like to make it easier and looking better in the
            >process
            >
            > I would also, once I?ve updated my site, like to display an avatar of the user
            >who posted it (I will have at least 3 people posting updates) on my last site
            >was able to display the name of the user who posted the update, but I?m just
            >not too sure how to link an image
            >
            > Here is the link to my site, it?s still in the very early stages but the
            >layout of the tables is about complete
            >
            > www.k86-archive.co.uk
            >
            > I?m using Dreamweaver MX 2004 and the pages will be in .ASP
            >
            > Thank you for your time

Are you using a asp database - I'm don't use asp but presume that
            could do it. PHP certainly could.

but is it only a few people 3 to 6 perhaps - although a bit crude, you
            could just use a different stylesheet with different background image
            for the avatar.

By the way - there are a few problems with the tables - doesn't
            validate as you have a spurious </span> - and you could greatly
            simplify the css by a little work with heading <h2>and table header
            <th> tags and then some descendant selectors.

and you could remove a couple of layers of tables and make it easier
            to maintain.

--

~Malcolm N....
            ~
            • 3. Re: How would I do this?
              k86-archive.com Level 1
              Thank you very much for your reply :-)

I thought that it would be something like that but I just wanted to make sure :-) I was putting the stories themselves on desending and not the autonumber :-)

Thank you once again for your reply :-)
              • 4. Re: How would I do this?
                k86-archive.com Level 1
                quote:

validate as you have a spurious </span>

Could I please ask what you mean by this? I've got a few </span> classes but how would I go about removing them?

quote:

yyou could greatly
                simplify the css by a little work with heading <h2>and table header
                <th> tags and then some descendant selectors./Q]

I created my own CSS stlyes as I find it easier to select the one I'm after, I normally have a few headers for different pages so I would get confused if they were just <h2>, <h3> ect

quote:

to maintain.

I did go a little mad with tables on the home page, it was just a quick page I throw together in a couple of mintues
                • 5. Re: How would I do this?
                  Level 7
                  On Sun, 12 Aug 2007 14:17:19 +0000 (UTC), "k86-archive.com"
                  <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote:

>
                  quote:

> validate as you have a spurious </span>

>
                  > Could I please ask what you mean by this? I've got a few </span> classes but
                  >how would I go about removing them?

Ok - about line 47 you have this:

<p class="mainText">The new site shouldn't take too long to do so
                  hopefully it'll be online in the coming weeks but for news and updates
                  <span class="mainText">please check out</span> </span><span

see the double </span></span> -

delete one of the </span>

>
                  >
                  quote:

yyou could greatly
                  > simplify the css by a little work with heading <h2>and table header
                  > <th> tags and then some descendant selectors./Q]
                  >
                  > I created my own CSS stlyes as I find it easier to select the one I'm after, I
                  >normally have a few headers for different pages so I would get confused if they
                  >were just <h2>, <h3> ect

OK - you have a little bit of spanitus / divitus ;-)
                  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Span_and_div

>
                  >
                  quote:

> to maintain.

>
                  > I did go a little mad with tables on the home page, it was just a quick page I
                  >throw together in a couple of mintues

Yes - just reduce the number of imbedded tables - and use css to
                  centre it in the page

.table { width:750px; margin-left:auto; margin-right:auto }

HTH

--

~Malcolm N....
                  ~